All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Len Fa Farms
PostPosted: Jun 12th, '14, 10:23 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
Well, I've taken steps. The title might sound like I'm embarking on a large commercial venture. I'm not. IBC FT, 2 growbeds 4x8 each, IBC sump will comprise my initial attempt at aquaponics.

The first growbed is nearly complete and ready for a liner. After attaching the 2x12 sides to the 4x8x3/4 treated plywood I wanted to move it into the general location of where it will be installed just to get an idea of spacing and layout.

Here are my 2 IBC tanks. The one without the cage will be buried about 3/4 and used as a sump tank.

I added some 2x4 structural support to the bottom of the growbed. The "studs" are 16" apart to the outside distance so that they will rest neatly on a cinder block stacked 2 high for a general 16" raise. That should put the growbed's finished height at about 28" which will be a good height for my wife and I to easily reach all areas. I am quite sure I've overbuilt this growbed as it is very heavy and very difficult to move around the yard. I ended up having to stand it up and walk it across the yard. If I don't show up to work on Friday please have someone check under this growbed. I may have trapped myself.

Another shot of where the first growbed will be installed. A second growbed of equal size will be placed next to it to the left. The sump tank will be buried between the two growbeds.

Here I've marked off where the sump tank will be buried. I may start that little endeavor tomorrow. You can also see where the fish tank will be placed. I am going to build a platform for the FT with a 4x8 base resting on 2x10s. This will give me a little more room to play with feed lines and a better opportunity for gravity to do its job. The fish tank will also be enclosed with 1/2" ply and given a proper lid in order to keep out unwanted sunlight. Eventually, the entire system will be under a 20x20 EZ corner frame with the side covering the growbeds covered in some kind of white opaque plastic to allow light to enter but keep back some of the famous Kaneohe rain. The entire EZ corner structure will also be covered with insect mesh in order to keep out birds and as many unwanted pests that I can.

Lin Fa is my wife's Chinese middle name and I thought it would make for a nice name for our little farm. Progress is slow going as the heat and occasional Kaneohe showers sends me under cover. But, after all, it is a hobby and should be enjoyable. There is no need to break my neck to get this system completed.

This was my original diagram of my pending system. I decided to combine the growbeds into 2 4x8 beds instead of the 4 4x4 beds in order to save some $$$ on connectors and adapters. Also, the location of the sump tank has been changed. Placing it at the end of the row of growbeds might actually be a better plan since it would easily allow me to add additional beds in an "L" shape to the left of the system. I am also waiting on the rain water collection barrels as I have yet to acquire the barrels.

Well, that's it for now. I still need to pick up a few more pieces of lumber, build another growbed, build the base for the FT, dig the hole for the sump, buy a pump and plumbing, buy liners for the growbeds, buy 2 yards of media, fit everything together and... well... the list goes on and on.

As always, all advice is welcome! Please feel free to comment or ask questions. I'm sure I will have TONS of questions for the folks on this board. Thanks for watching! Aloha! :-)

3x GB 4'x8'x12", 96cuft of black cinder

Genesis 2:15
Then the LORD God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Lin Fa Farms
PostPosted: Jun 12th, '14, 18:07 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
Aloha and welcome! What do you plan on using for liner and media?

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '14, 19:19 

Looks great, what fish will yo be stocking

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 02:35 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

RairdogAP wrote:
Aloha and welcome! What do you plan on using for liner and media?

Hi and thanks.
I was informed that my local Home Depot has EPDM liner available by the foot. I was planning on using that and red cinder as the grow media.

Charlie wrote:
Looks great, what fish will yo be stocking

I was planning on Hawaiian Sun Fish, a.k.a. Yellow Tilapia, probably 20-30 to start.

Then the LORD God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it.

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 04:31 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Started digging for the sump tank.

I parted ways with Mr. Manual Labor a long time ago. As expected, the reunion is troublesome at best. :oops:

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 06:27 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Looking good mate. I will be starting the digging for a sump (sunk IBC) in a couple of weeks and I'm pretty intimidated by the prospect. My soft officeworker hands are in for a 'man up and stop ya whining' experience. :-)

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 06:29 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Tallman wrote:
Looking good mate. I will be starting the digging for a sump (sunk IBC) in a couple of weeks and I'm pretty intimidated by the prospect. My soft officeworker hands are in for a 'man up and stop ya whining' experience. :-)

You are absolutely right! The toughest thing I ask these hands to do is hold a hot cup a coffee. :laughing3:

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 07:37 

Squatchaponics wrote:
I parted ways with Mr. Manual Labor a long time ago. As expected, the reunion is troublesome at best. :oops:

By the looks of all those strings running around your place, Mr Manual Labour has big plans for you :lol: :headbang:

Cheers

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 08:09 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

scotty435 wrote:
Squatchaponics wrote:

By the looks of all those strings running around your place, Mr Manual Labor has big plans for you :lol: :headbang:

Cheers

lol... those were mostly to keep me square with the house. I didn't want to get everything all set up and then get all OCD on the placement after the fact. That would be a true headache.

I'm about half way done with the hole for the sump tank. I'm guessing that another foot down will give me enough depth. Back breaking labor for sure. But, slow progress is still progress. :shifty:

I guess I can finally level out some low spots around the yard. :thumbleft:

PS: I would have been a terrible mobster.

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 08:39 

About time for a large rock to appear :evil3: :D .

I sympathize, just got done digging through some crush rock mixed with earth someone else had put in. I didn't have to go nearly as deep as you are though.

Cheers

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 10:18 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Test Fit!

It is a bit tight so I will probably have to shave down the sides a bit. There are still 20" of tank above ground which is too much for my liking. I'm thinking 10" at the most which would give me plenty of leeway with my drain lines. All in for today though. Now I need a hot shower and a cold scotch! :thumbleft:

Is there any way to resize the pics in my previous posts? I went into photobucket and resized all of the pics but it doesn't seem to change the one's in this thread and there is no option to edit older posts. Help from an admin plz.

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 11:12 

One of the moderators might be able to do that for you. While their at it I could do with spell checking on "About" or Bout :think: .

Flagging this for the request to see if they can help you out.

LOL - looks like they already did it. Didn't fix my spelling though :upset:

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 11:46 

Are you human?: Daughters think not
Brings back memories of my dig to plant an ibc in our solid clay soil. Took me several weeks to dig it :support:

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 12:31 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

scotty435 wrote:
Squatchaponics wrote:

By the looks of all those strings running around your place, Mr Manual Labour has big plans for you :lol: :headbang:

Cheers

But, now that you mention it, I do have a dream plan which incorporates the entire back yard and a 4500 fish pond and about 465 cubic feet of grow media which will ultimately result in global domination :twisted: . The wife isn't too keen on that idea just yet so I'll start with 2 IBCs and see how that goes first. :D

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '14, 12:34 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

mantis wrote:
Brings back memories of my dig to plant an ibc in our solid clay soil. Took me several weeks to dig it :support:

I feel ya. I thought I'd be a little further along after one day. Back to work tomorrow so it might take a week or more to whittle away at the rest. I still need to pick up a few more pieces of lumber, 16 cinder blocks and source some liners. I'm enjoying the project so far. Should be fun to get it all put together.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next