All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: gnoibs
PostPosted: Sep 15th, '17, 06:05 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
The barrel has a bottom, I just drilled some holes about 8 inches from the bottom, sump with drains.
I just use a stacking barrow to haul it outside and than turn it over on a tarp.
Like to keep the dirt. I just mix it with some manure and it will be like new.
I did some towers outside, wire and than lined the walls with straw, inside dirt. Put the pos along the wall, they grow through the straw and dirt, stacked one 5 layers high.
Never done it before, will see what comes out of it.
Harvest time will be end of the month.

There is 2 sides to this built the stone garden, north side, and the other garden on the south.

If I look at it from the north, than those growing beds and the water thingy should fit into the stone garden.
From the south it can look completely different.
So I probably end up on the northern side with rock, concrete, coloured, and on the south side with wood and steel frames.
The ideas are forming. How to built them, that is a nother question.

Right now I am building a green house for a very good friend, than the pasture and in my spare time I sadly have to work and earn money.
1.2mm so far, looks like more is on the way.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '17, 19:55 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
You've done amazing projects this Summer Gnoib. I want you, your expertise and that badass loader to come visit when you get a chance, okay?
We asked my father what he would most like us to do here on the ranch before he was gone? He asked that we go down in the pasture and dig out noxious invasive species Scotch Thistles.
Attachment:
Scotch-Thisle.png
Scotch-Thisle.png [ 631.3 KiB | Viewed 2447 times ]

My brother and my son and I did just that while dad watched from the truck. Today we have only a few Thistles. Loco Weed we have as well, but no horses and it isn't in large quantities.
The guy I arranged to graze cattle on our irrigated pasture never showed up, so we have a glorious variety of grasses covering our fields and meadows. I wish dad could see his place after this wet Summer.

PostPosted: Sep 23rd, '17, 07:04 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Potato tower.
I cleaned out the barrel and got 4 potatoes. The barrel did not work because it did not drain good enough.
So every thing became a rotten mess. A lesson learned.
Today I cleaned out the straw tower outside and learned a nother lesson.
The potatoes I planted at the bottom produced weed, but no potatoes, because the dirt over time becomes so compressed that the tubers will not be able to built.
The second level did good the third produced some huge potatoes. Some are so big that they are for me 2 meals.
Pleased by all means, I learned and have about 3-4 weeks potatoes
I have one more, shallow tower and I have to get it through those 4 to 5 days of sever night frost. The greenhouse will be loaded with outside plants that do not handle frost and are still producing.
Filled the gas bottles today for the heater.

I will do a tower in the greenhouse this winter, already have pregerminated potatoes.

Attachments:
Compressed_0526.jpg
Compressed_0526.jpg [ 99.34 KiB | Viewed 2928 times ]
Compressed_0527.jpg
Compressed_0527.jpg [ 99.22 KiB | Viewed 2930 times ]
Compressed_0528.jpg
Compressed_0528.jpg [ 98.53 KiB | Viewed 2930 times ]
PostPosted: Sep 23rd, '17, 07:20 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Thanks Brian, its all about learning things, if my gardening aqua or dirt, produces something that I can eat, I enjoy it even more, or just a few flowers, I am happy.

That loader I love it.
It and me used to be quiet often in the Santa Fe area. Building jumps for horse competitions.

In 84 I got through your area. Was not in good shape, had badly frozen hands and feeds and was in need for some medical attention, the infections and than some idiots in Las Vegas, were going for my horses. I cut up one of them and convinced them that a grumpy German is very bad medicine.
Made it to Santa Fe, were they removed all finger and toe nails including three toes
2 weeks later I was on my way to LA, not really in best shape and still very grumpy.
Hihihihihihi

PostPosted: Sep 23rd, '17, 23:55 
A posting God
A posting God

gnoib wrote:
Thanks Brian, its all about learning things, if my gardening aqua or dirt, produces something that I can eat, I enjoy it even more, or just a few flowers, I am happy.

That loader I love it.
It and me used to be quiet often in the Santa Fe area. Building jumps for horse competitions.

In 84 I got through your area. Was not in good shape, had badly frozen hands and feeds and was in need for some medical attention, the infections and than some idiots in Las Vegas, were going for my horses. I cut up one of them and convinced them that a grumpy German is very bad medicine.
Made it to Santa Fe, were they removed all finger and toe nails including three toes
2 weeks later I was on my way to LA, not really in best shape and still very grumpy.
Hihihihihihi

Holy camole! Back in the 80's here the locals were a lot more racist, thankfully this has been lessened.

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 06:11 
Legend Member
Legend Member

We had the first serious frosts, into the lower 20 at night, -5C. So everything had to move in the greenhouse.

I had allowed that the potted outdoor strawberries developed long suckers. Intention to try to use them to grow more strawberry plants. When I hung the SB from the rafters, I stuck the knots into some soil.
It actually worked very nice, in 2 weeks they have rooted. 14 new plants in the pots. In a week I will cut them loose and start all over again. I would like to have about 40 plants.
In a few days I have to harvest the SB, very yummy sugar and wipping cream and a shot of cognac, :D

Attachments:
Compressed_0531.jpg
Compressed_0531.jpg [ 99.23 KiB | Viewed 2884 times ]
Compressed_0529.jpg
Compressed_0529.jpg [ 99.25 KiB | Viewed 2884 times ]
Compressed_0530.jpg
Compressed_0530.jpg [ 99.58 KiB | Viewed 2884 times ]
PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 09:46 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
I am so jealous. Every fruit I get goes to the mouse inside the GH.

Only a matter of time.....

Adam

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 18:18 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

hah Adam... I'm dealing with that with my tomatoes in the greenhouse... the damn mice are climbing up the tomato plants and eating the ripe tomatoes way up at the roof level. Seems to be just the cherry tomatoes, probably because I have a lot more of them so I don't pick them as quickly as the bigger tomato varieties (which I'm still not picking fast enough because our garden tomatoes are still producing so we're still swamped)

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 20:47 
A posting God
A posting God

Beautiful greenhouse layout Gnoib! We got that 20 degree freeze night before last too.
This time of year the mice are bad here as well. I guess it is time to break out the mouse traps.
I love splitting strawberries from the runners too. Ours are doing better this year as they are now in dirt. I'm uncertain what went wrong with the strawberry towers, but I'm guessing it was the inability to time the flow through the media. With my foray into embedded systems I hope to set up a few automated controls here.

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 22:20 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I had mice, too.
Very frustrating, I killed every day 2 or 3 with traps, poisoned them.
Nothing worked.
Than I stuffed a hose into the gator's exhaust. I knew were they came from, stuck the other end of the hose in that whole and let the gator idle for 30 minutes.
No more mice :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 22:44 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Your own gas chamber. I know where the bugger is hiding, but can't bait b/c wife puts momma/baby chicks in there to give protected, warmer space.

Adam

PostPosted: Oct 11th, '17, 22:48 
A posting God
A posting God

That was brilliant Gnoib

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '17, 06:00 
Legend Member
Legend Member

***disclaimer***

No animals were otherwise harmed than the varmits who helped themselves to your garden without express written consent of the specific owner of that garden.....by reading this, you hear by release the owner of any claims (present and future) that might be otherwise construed as cruelty to animals for the mice were asked several times to vacate the premises before such action was taken.....and chose not not abide by such a request.....

Now, since I do not have a gator, I'll substitute said equine for my mouse killing Tomcat...... :shifty:

Adam

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '17, 07:22 
Legend Member
Legend Member

What about the Tracktor, Adam

PostPosted: Oct 12th, '17, 09:52 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Yeah, I could even add my clean (cough) burning (cough, cough) knock 'em dead pick' em up truck.....

Might get me in the process as well?

Adam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 27  Next