All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jun 8th, '20, 23:46 

Are you human?: Yes
hi all,

I am setting up my first system and was hoping to get some input/tips. I'm not new to fish keeping , having kept both fresh and salt water tanks, but this will be my first aquaponic set up. I'm using a standard size 75 gallon african cichlid (20 peacocks/haps) tank as my base. Above my tank I have an active aqua 12"x41" grow tray with flood and drain plumbing back into my tank. The pump to my grow tray is an activeaqua 250 that should flow 291 gph. Will be growing leafy greens/herbs using pots with clay pellets.

I did some testing with water buckets, and with 2 extension fittings on my drain, the pump took about 7 min at its lowest setting to reach the drain, and less than 4 min at its highest setting to reach the drain. Once it reached the drain, I shut the pump off and it took another 5 min or so to drain back down through the pump. I've read a lot of different things online about running the pump on 15 min for every hour, running it so plants are submerged for 15 min, or only running it until it hits the drain level. How long/often should I be running the pump? I want to run it at its lowest setting just because I'm scared of overflow (even though I know in theory it shouldnt), but is that not ideal?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 11th, '20, 21:05 

Are you human?: Yes
Any help pls? =(