All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 23rd, '07, 09:56 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you human?: YES- kinda
my preference is a fantastic osteopath i found. rang her at 8am...........booked out. she's sorted me out twice before with it and gave me some excercises too ;)

rang around two other physios and got in at one at 2pm today. really wanted to get in at the osteo though.

anyway had some yarrow and chamomile tea a few times before bed and while i was very sore in the morning that was probably just from sleeping on it.

Advertisement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 23rd, '07, 10:54 

Are you human?: YES
Back on top ;-) the fish farm has replied to the drunken e-mails I sent last night. They have said that it must have simply been a miscount error, not an intentional dupe. They have offered to supply another 100 fingerlings, but the barra are all sold out. They say silvers available in about 4 weeks.

Will give that consideration over the coming weeks. Not sure if they have jades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 23rd, '07, 11:05 
Spam Assassin (Be afraid!)
Spam Assassin     (Be afraid!)

good to hear a nice outcome VB

................................................................. . Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 23rd, '07, 12:31 

Not so great from my perspective Jaymie. Not keen on having to go all the way there again and also wanted Barramumdi not silvers. Will wait and see how many survive to a decent size and then Les and I will have some decisions to make as to whether we try and get some Barra from elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 10:32 

A quick update - dead count is at about 45. I estimate that there are about 80 fish remaining. Survival rate from here on is likely to be reasonable. I have a second biofilter running on the tank at the moment just maturing it a bit so that I can get a second 50 litre aquarium up and going in which to put the bolters. I'll probably set this up tonight (all I have to do is put some water in from the unused nursery setup).

I have been feeding the fish 'hi protein extra small pellets for baby and miniature fish' that I bought from an aquarium shop - cost me heps but is working much better than trying to crush food. I had been told before I purchased the fish that they were weined onto a 1 to 2 mm crumble. This was not true unfortunatelly. Hopefully by the time they finish this baby food (I only have 200 grams) they will be ready to eat a 2mm crumble (I have close to a kilo of that leftover from when my jades and silvers were fingerlings).

I continue to learn lessons in this fish keeping game. Lessons learnt this time around - 1. Don't trust the suppliers to count the fish correctly - don't be reluctant to get in their faces and watch what they are doing. 2. Don't believe everything they tell you (like what they would eat). Other than that - all my preparations seemed to help a lot - eventhough I couldn't put the fish into the pre-prepared nursery setup.

If only Les was around to experience these trials and tribulations (and the disappointment). Just this is all awaiting him next time he logs on :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 12:17 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

steve wrote:
my preference is a fantastic osteopath i found. rang her at 8am...........booked out. she's sorted me out twice before with it and gave me some excercises too ;)

rang around two other physios and got in at one at 2pm today. really wanted to get in at the osteo though.

I have a good osteopath next to Albert Park if you want a referral. My only complaint with him is I enjoy going and he never wants me back, usually fixes me in two sessions at the most 8)

The Baby Barra are pretty little fish, glad to hear the supplier is trying to make it right though :D Wonder if it works out in your favour, would you have had more deaths if you had the 220 to start with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 12:25 

Quote:
The Baby Barra are pretty little fish, glad to hear the supplier is trying to make it right though Wonder if it works out in your favour, would you have had more deaths if you had the 220 to start with?

Would have had more deaths - but not disproportionate to what I have with the number I got. No probs with environment parameters or anything due to prior preparation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 12:34 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

what a pain in the arse ordeal for you vb.

a miscount error and they just happen to be out of stock. call me sinical but sounds like bs to me.

the damage has been done. you obviously put a lot of thought into your barra run and now you have to rethink your whole operation. i would be pretty pissed off due to their unprofessionalism. they could have put a few extra in just in case they "miscounted". i'm sure your story would be a lot different then. i imagine they have lot a large number of customers just because of this post. the industry is small and word quickly gets around.

thankfully you have learned a good lesson. hopefully your search will lead you to a decent supplier. could be worse. at least you got something although not what you wanted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 12:56 

Quote:
i imagine they have lot a large number of customers just because of this post. the industry is small and word quickly gets around.

I don't think I have named them BF. This was intentional as I don't want to find myself on the wrong side of a defamation law suit. I agree that a miscount in the order of 100 fish or 50% is unlikely. As I have said above, the lesson is to get in their face and watch like a hawk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 13:18 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

not so much the fact that you defamed anyone but more the fact that you won't be recommending them to anyone. word of worth speaks volumes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 13:19 

very true BF - now I getya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 16:28 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you human?: YES- kinda
of course if some one asked you do you reccomend this supplier and you said "no"........................... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 16:31 

Quote:
of course if some one asked you do you reccomend this supplier and you said "no"...........................

Sometimes it's a matter of going into a transaction with eyes wide open. I wouldn't rule out buying there again, but it would only be if that was the best option for me and I'd be very careful about all the negative things I have experienced in the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 16:33 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

VB,

What sorta water temp are you running atm mate? And what are you using to heat the water if anything? Im keen to give barra a go in my next system, if/when the wife gives me cap ex approval

springa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 16:36 

Because they are only in a 50 litre tank, I'm using a 150 watt aquarium heater. Temp is about 26, but gets a couple of degrees higher in the day.

I've set up the second tank in which to put the bolters, so I'll need to dig around for another heater.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next