All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 16:39 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

thx VB,

Im starting to get the bits ready for system 2, and im using a 1600l vat, was thinking 1 Kw for heating maybe ill need more or ill have to see what temp i can maintain before i put the fish in.

springa

Advertisement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 16:45 

Are you human?: YES
Springa - I ran my 1000 litre tank outside through winter with a 200 watt aquarium heater and kept it at 20 degrees minimum (despite the nights getting very cold where I live (close to 0 often and sub zero a couple of times). The key was having the pump that fed the beds on a timer so they went off at night and covering the tank well to reduce heat loss. Next winter I'll have a seperate biofilter running in addition to the beds so that when I turn the bed pump off at night the ammonia and nitrite is still being processed. Last winter I had to stop feeding the fish because otherwise I would have had problems with turning the pump off.

By next winter the intention is to have a solar heating setup going to get the temp of the water up during the day and then using these other methods to keep as much of the temp as I can during the night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 20:56 

Second aquarium is up and going so I'll move some bolters into that tomorrow. While none of the fish are hugely larger than the others - there is a distrinct difference. They are already bullying a bit and by the size of the bellies on some of them now, I can't help but think some canabilism might be going on now. At least 3 of the fish are missing a side fin (what's that called) and have a big hole where it was. They are all fairly big fat fish and look like they might still survive regardless. Probably got into teritory fights. Bloody bullies. Have had a couple of more deaths. Numbers are dwindling for sure (probably a couple of more fish have found there ways (after dying) through the net pots that protect the fish from the filters.

I'm getting an aweful feeling for Les that he's not going to be getting a lot of Barra (and by that I mean any at all - in fact I may end up with none myself).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 21:37 
You can't be held responsible for Les's failure to pick up his fish at the appointed time, and failure to provide the neccessary level of care required to keep them alive, VB ......

His complete lack of responsibility has actually in all probability contributed to death of many of your own fingerlings....

I'd be sending him a bill.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '07, 21:40 

:lol:

Was going to give Les his hundred for free. Now I'll give him his 0 for free, I don't want to be a prick about it :lol:

He can however have all the dried fish (the dead ones), might make a nice necklace for Bonnie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 25th, '07, 07:38 

Cleared the filter out this morning - about 10 deads in there.

Had good intentions of catching the bolters this morning and putting them into the second aquarium. Lesson learnt - bolters (fast growing fish) are aldo fast swimming fish :lol:. Didn't catch any of them. Will let them calm down and give it another go this afternoon. This time I'll remove all the obstructions from the tank (filter, heater. thermometer) so that I can get a clear go at them.

Ran some tests this morning. Ammonia 0, nitrite .25 and nitrate about 10. The nitrate will have been reduced by the fact that when setting up the second aquarium yesterday I mixed a few jugs of the old water in with the new and put some new water into the aquarium that has the fish. Will probably have to do a water change in a few days, but that's easy enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 25th, '07, 20:42 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

hey VB how bout a bit of reverse psycology why not take the smaller ones out and leave the bigger/ faster ones alone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 25th, '07, 21:13 

Delgrade - thought about that. Problem is that there are only a few that are really small. The main fighting occurs between the medium sized (what I woudl call normal growth) and the bigger (bolter) fish. The really small fish are sticking to one end of the aquarium, while the bulk of the fish sit where the main feedign postion is, very much in a schooling type situation. As soon as a net even goes near the water - they disperse and head for the bottom of the tank and dart all over the joint. Best way to get them I think may be when the light goes down and they effectively go into sleep mode. In the end I might not concern myself too much with the grading exercise so much as splitting them into 2. I will then be in a position to relocate the bigger ones to one or other of the tanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 26th, '07, 08:16 

Netted a little under 1/2 of the barra ths morning, chucking them in the second 50litre aquarium. They are not happy, but hopefully will settle fine.

I've doen no sort of grading - was hard enough to catch any fish, let alone specific fish. Will take some photos later. I'm sure the fish have grown a fair bit since I got them less than a week ago, but it is a bit hard to tell when you look at them so often. A comparison may be possible in a photograph, not that I took one when I first got them - first phot was on Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 27th, '07, 11:22 

I must have been dreaming when I said that I had put a little under 50% of the fish in the second tank. Quite a few less than 50%, but the fact that the ones in the second tank are no schooling much makes it look like even less.

Anyway - here are some pics. Probably can't tell that well from the pics, but they have grow a fair bit over the week. There are quite a few that have grown very little and these are gradually dying off. This reinforces to me the fact that it is not good value to buy the fish so small where there will still be a lot of moralities probably just due to natural physical defects in the fish.

Attachments:
File comment: Barra in tank 1, one week on from purchase.
DSCF4552 (Medium).JPG
DSCF4552 (Medium).JPG [ 105.45 KiB | Viewed 3206 times ]
File comment: This is the second tank. Much fewer barra in this tank and I kinda regret moving them now. They've not been real happy ever since.
DSCF4574 (Medium).JPG
DSCF4574 (Medium).JPG [ 80.17 KiB | Viewed 3206 times ]
File comment: I couldn't get a good shot of this bugger - but what I wanted to show was his fat belly. Yesterday afternoon he has consumed one of his mates. Ever since, he's barely been able to move. Hopefully he will digest the fish in time and survive.
DSCF4554 (Medium).JPG
DSCF4554 (Medium).JPG [ 51.93 KiB | Viewed 3213 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 27th, '07, 11:23 

and

Attachments:
File comment: A bit of a close-up of tank 1.
DSCF4568 (Medium).JPG
DSCF4568 (Medium).JPG [ 81.23 KiB | Viewed 3199 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 27th, '07, 16:34 

Are you human?: yes
the only time I had proven cannibalism was when C1 was over and we hit the plonk :wink: and slept in in their early stages. Went down to feed them at half past nine and found one with his mates tail sticking out of his mouth. Netted him, and he spat it out. One lived (guess which one :lol:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 27th, '07, 17:31 

Well I've seen it a number of times now - including just now when one swallowed his mate while I was watching. Several others with big bellies give away what they have been up to :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 27th, '07, 21:32 

Are you human?: yes
yep, by the looks of that pic, you have some cannibals there !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 27th, '07, 21:34 

There will be absolutely no doubt when there is only 1 left standing :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46  Next