All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: hit the plonk
PostPosted: Oct 28th, '07, 19:18 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

monya wrote:
the only time I had proven cannibalism was when C1 was over and we hit the plonk :wink: and slept in in their early stages. Went down to feed them at half past nine and found one with his mates tail sticking out of his mouth. Netted him, and he spat it out. One lived (guess which one :lol:)

the things we do!! rescue a fish and then eat him eh Monya!!!

Advertisement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 28th, '07, 19:23 

Are you human?: yes
and make him poo to feed ya plants in the meantime

Post subject:
PostPosted: Oct 30th, '07, 09:22 

Quote:
If only Les was around to experience these trials and tribulations (and the disappointment). Just this is all awaiting him next time he logs on

will get onto the hatcheries today and see what is available and when :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 4th, '07, 07:49 

Are you human?: YES
Here is a quick update:

I was away in Melbourne all week, hence my silence. I left my wife with the job of feeding the Barra and netting any dead ones (that didn't first get eaten by the others). Feeding was at a lighter rate than what I had done in the first week (just morning and night).

The fish have grown significantly during the time and there were no dramas while I was away. Not too many known deaths during the time either - though the population has noticably diminished (through the barra eating their mates I suspect).

On of the bolters (fast growing fish) died after it swallowed another fish but could not get it all the way down. I have included this (now dried) fish in the pictures below and have also included (for comparisson) a dead fish that I netted the day I left for melbourne (1 week ago). Check out the size difference. BTW - in case you don't spot it - the big one still has its deadly meal hanging out its mouth. 3 or 4 of the fish are 2 or 3 times the size of the others, so I will have to start doing a bit of grading later today if I get a chance.

Attachments:
DSCF4576 (Medium).JPG
DSCF4576 (Medium).JPG [ 106.08 KiB | Viewed 4600 times ]
DSCF4579 (Medium).JPG
DSCF4579 (Medium).JPG [ 107.61 KiB | Viewed 4594 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 4th, '07, 07:57 

BTW - matchbox is 53mm long. THis means that the largest fish would be getting close to the smallest size that you would normally buy them as fingerlings (ie 50mm).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 4th, '07, 08:07 

That is a bummer vb, all good info for when I get to doing barra tho - stick with it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 4th, '07, 11:55 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I couldn't see if you had told us what price you had paid for the 20mm fish, with a comparison of what a normal (50mm) fingerling would cost. With all of your deaths I'm interested to know if it was financially worth it or if you would have been better off getting a larger fingerling and hope for less mortalaties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 4th, '07, 12:20 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

deaths are a given with baby barra KE. I guess that in part explains the high fecundity of the female broodfish. She can spawn a million eggs, no sweat. I guess it is the old price/size trade off and if i was vb i would be pi$$ed, smaller fish than promised and less of them. I guess the commercial pressure is on the hatcheries to get those early fingerlings out, (particularly with the cold northern winter slowing things up this year.) Anyone can get the order tho. Getting the re-order is the mainstay of a successful business. I would be tipping vb might be looking at alternative supply arrangements next year.

While I am at it, I would like to give Glenwaters a plug here. Our weather has been cool and the overwintered silvers were small when i got them and i would have expected to lose a few. Still lost only the one and they are eating quite steadily at 14-15C. Tough little tackers, so well done Glenwaters. I am tempted to give murray cod a go in 12 months and I will be buying them from the same place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 4th, '07, 12:32 

Quote:
I would be tipping vb might be looking at alternative supply arrangements

psychic are we :D - think you may be on the money tt :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 4th, '07, 14:36 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Guess my point was the fish guy was being a bit too clever and has shot himself in the foot. I bet no-one up there on this forum will be buying from them if there is an alternate supplier. Could have made a legend of himself, chucked in 50 for nuthin and we would all know about it and be wrapping him up. As long as there are still drongos and snakes in business there is hope for the rest of us to make that business ours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 4th, '07, 15:20 

Know where you're coming from tt, think there may be a bit of a story behind the vb saga and I am one that is looking at other suppliers as my 1st priority

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 4th, '07, 17:17 

TT

Pissed - yes
Looking for other supplier - yes
Would I buy this size normally - no
Why did I do it - had a credit with the supplier that I wanted to use
Will I name and shame them - no

The thing is, Les and I wanted to by the 100mm barra that Ausyfish has sold in previous years. These attract a higher price, but we thought that well worth it for our first try. Problem is that Ausyfish are not doing Barra this year.

I would normally not contemplate purchasing fish at 20mm because all the risk of loss lies with me, not the supplier. This is why normally fish are not sold under 50mm - by then most of the risk has passed. The fish were being sold for $1 each - a bloody joke. I had a credit for 200 fish and through in $20 to get an extra 20 to help account for mortalities. As you all know - didn't quite work that well. The admin and mods (and Les) know a bit more about it all - but I won't be posting that stuff here because I don't want to defame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 4th, '07, 17:44 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

That's interesting about Ausyfish. Did they give a reason? What would you normally expect to pay for 50mm barra?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 4th, '07, 18:10 

Quote:
What would you normally expect to pay for 50mm barra?

$1

The 100mm from Ausyfish are normally $2 I think. Just shows that the $1 for 20mm ones is a complete rip off - particularly given natural mort rate.

PostPosted: Nov 4th, '07, 20:45 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Hey all, is there anyone else selling decent sized barra, have been looking around and saw the 100mm barra at ausy for $1.90 each, thought you beauty get 50 for now, grow out for 5-6 months in warm water (up to 30o today need to cover it a bit I think) and then get some cod in the second tank (when I pull my finger out and buy one) in another couple of months so I'll have something at a fair size for over winter to then put another batch of barra in this time next year. Sounds like a plan to me!
It seems like cheating buying advanced fingerlings but I see it as a means to an ends if I can get a feed or two before the cold kills them off. Besides does it work out any dearer if you do buy 200 and 75% curl up their toes before they get to a decent size.
Anyways have a good one all
Cod fish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next