All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 46  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 5th, '07, 07:21 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

I have been on to a barra place north of Gympie - they are not doing any fingerlings (normally 14 different fish species) this season as their water allocation has been cut due to the drought, think this might be a reason why there is short supplies of most fingerlings

Advertisement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 5th, '07, 17:59 

Are you human?: YES
Codfish - pretty sure Ausyfish is not supplying this season. Read the couple of posts before yours. If you find different (which would be contrary to what they told me) then let us all know :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 5th, '07, 18:43 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

the moral of the story seems to be that you should stick to reputable suppliers (if you can find any) and pay a little extra for well developed specimen's.

you may have to pay a bit extra for them, but at the end of the day it will be a lot less messing around and well worth the extra you paid. you may find that the lower mortality rate actually ends up costing you less $ per fish in the long run, not to mention they will reach plate size quicker.

it seems to me that the pro's of purchasing older fish far out way the negative which is simply the cost.

each to their own, however i know i'll be getting 100+mm for this years run.

sorry about your expirience VB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 5th, '07, 19:47 

BF - all well and good if you can get supplies at all. A major point which should not be lost here is that I bit the bullet/took the gamble that these tiny fish may be the only ones available up here this season, after Les and I found out that Ausyfish was not supplying this year.

As it turns out, if I hadn't bought these sad specimens, then I may not have had the chance to buy barra at all this season. The fish that are left are growing well - but some way faster than others, making grading essential. Problem is it is so hard to catch the buggers. Tonight I tried and tried and only managed to catch 4 of the bolters. I estimate one of these to be 7cm now (by far the biggest). I have chucked these in the nursery that I originally set up for the fingerlings and they are dwarfed in there. Will remain to be seen whether they will find food when it is thrown in there. If they do - I'll make a concerted effort to catch a few more of the bigger ones to put them in there tomorrow night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 5th, '07, 19:56 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

then perhaps the real moral to the story is that someone needs to get their arse into gear and supply these over east. by the sounds of it they will never be low on demand.

do you know why ausyfish are not supplying barra this year?

i gather perhaps it has something to do with the reason you had trouble. they sound pretty difficult to rear from fingerlings, let alone larvae.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 5th, '07, 19:57 

Suspect it is what Les has been saying above regarding drought conditions. I'll look back at my e-mails and see what they said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 5th, '07, 19:58 

I quote:

"... but regarding Barra. We won't be having any Barra
Fingerlings this year. There was no good supply for Larvae this year so
we wern't able to get any to grow to fingerlings."

Doesn't say much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 5th, '07, 20:05 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

has it been a particularly cold spring over there vb? it has been over here and no doubt would play a part in the breeding cycle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 5th, '07, 20:12 

Nup. Fairly warm winter and spring has been fairly normal. Warming up big time now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 5th, '07, 20:51 
Sounds to me that they get there fertilised eggs (larvae) from someone else maybe ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 7th, '07, 06:05 

The other point is that this is the 1st year any of us (in Bris) have tried to source barra, so we are unaware if this year is normal or not...barra fingerlings may be destined for large dams or rivers where smaller endeavours (us) are on the bottom of the food chain.

There seems to be a plentiful supply of other fish species in our area

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 10th, '07, 17:29 

A quick update:

The barra are doing well and growing quite rapidly. The numbers continue to dwindle, but now as a result of the biggest fish picking others off as snack each day (I suspect from their huge stomachs).

I did remove 4 of the bigger fish earlier in the week and put them in the nursery that I had originally set up. The effort to catch just these though has put me off doing more grading at this stage - though I am going to have to do this in the next day or so if I want to retain a reasonable number of fish.

PostPosted: Nov 10th, '07, 17:44 
VB can you make something up like these....

Three different sized (commercial) graders..... spacing between roller bars determines size grading...

From what I understand they immerse the widest grade in the tank and slowly raise..... the smaller fish fall/swim through

Use next size etc etc....

Attachments:
grader1 (Medium).jpg
grader1 (Medium).jpg [ 28.48 KiB | Viewed 3587 times ]
grader2 (Medium).jpg
grader2 (Medium).jpg [ 27.54 KiB | Viewed 3588 times ]
grader3 (Medium).jpg
grader3 (Medium).jpg [ 26.72 KiB | Viewed 3580 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 10th, '07, 18:54 

Something for the future rupe. Simply don't have the time to whack something up this time around.

Just got back from the shed. I caught all the fish that were in 1 of the 2 tanks (took me bloody ages) and put the biggest into the nursery setup. The rest went into the 2nd 50 litre aquarium. Next job will be to catch the biggest couple that were in the 2nd aquarium and get them into the nursery. Probably close to 20 fish in the nursery now - rest in the 2nd 50 litre aquarium. 1st aquarium now out of action. I've transferred the biofilter from aquarium #1 to aquarium # 2 which is now running 2 filters. Will remove 1 in due course. Might just slow the flow on 1 of them more and more each day to get the other 1 doing most of the work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 10th, '07, 19:08 

Here is a picture of the barra nursery setup. It constists of 2 180 litre fingerling tanks joined together by a 25 or 30mm flexible pipe. The filter is a 25 litre beer fermenter full of hydroton. Eventhough the 2 tanks are joined together, at the moment there is little movement in water betwen the 2, because I am pumping out of and returning water to the same tank, being the one with the barra in it. In time, I will change this configuration - but at the moment while the fish are small it is not necessary.

Attachments:
DSCF4550 (Medium).JPG
DSCF4550 (Medium).JPG [ 32.94 KiB | Viewed 3567 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 46  Next