All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 185  Next
PostPosted: Jan 6th, '15, 21:51 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
It's difficult right now because when I don't work I don't get paid. I did read your PM Pond-Sucker. One of the consequences of forcing tunnel vision to my pond is all else passes in a blur

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '15, 22:02 
A posting God
A posting God

BMN-2015-Earth-sheltered-greenhouse-project-advances-Brian-window
Wow, and good morning!

Time to get back to work and not a moment too soon. Still, it is difficult switching gears from my beloved project to doing my job four days a week.

I woke up after Nell, remarkable in itself because she was up working on her social security and disability paperwork for hours past when I finally crashed.

2015-Earth-sheltered-greenhouse-project-advances-icicle
Isn’t this the most pristine icicle you’ve ever seen? I just had to take a picture of it at the beginning of the day Sunday. When I found this I was looking for wood to build scaffolding in preparation for Jason coming out to volunteer his help working with me to get the last two walls framed. Man I feel blessed. Thank you Jason, and thank you Nell.

2015-Earth-sheltered-greenhouse-project-advances-wind-turbine in the background
Nice little early morning shot before Jason arrived.

2015-Earth-sheltered-greenhouse-project-advances-Jason-SE-wall-smile

2015-Earth-sheltered-greenhouse-project-advances-Jason-window2

2015-Earth-sheltered-greenhouse-project-advances-Jason-window

2015-Earth-sheltered-greenhouse-project-advances-Buddy-north-side3
I still need to cut in the top of the door frame. Because of materials constraints we decided instead to frame in the south side which is a 2X4 wall.

The north side is built with 2X6s and has no windows. The idea being keep the heat loss to a minimum in the Winter. During the Winter the sun strikes the south side for a few hours each day so there is a heat gain there making the loss through that window at night acceptable.

2015-Earth-sheltered-greenhouse-project-advances-Buddy-north-side-door
The north wall will get fiberglass insulation value of R-19. The door is insulated as well. The best feature of earth-sheltering is knowing the heat losses and gains and trying to balance them.

2015-Earth-sheltered-greenhouse-project-advances-window-inside
The window going in here will be new, measuring 6 feet wide and 3 feet tall. It will slide open enabling access to the kiwi bed, so I can add soil without having to cart it over the pond.

2015-Earth-sheltered-greenhouse-project-advances-good-night
After a full day kicking butt on the greenhouse project, I still had one big problem looming over my head before I could go back to work this morning; My botched laptop repair.

In the back of my mind I had been trying to work out a solution to the cable clip that broke while I was investigating why the LAN port was malfunctioning.

Netbooks are even smaller than laptops, a fact that hadn’t crossed my mind before I precipitously decided to dig in and fix my own computer.

Anyhow, at first I tried fixing the microclip with crazy glue, but it was the wrong type of glue and was breaking the bond of the plastic. In order to bond plastics the proper glue will break down the specific plastic and reform the molecules hopefully together.

See, all those college courses paid off. Nevertheless, the glue didn’t pan out. I switched to looking for a similar micro clip in one of the many laptops left over from the days of our computer repair shop the Outfit.

The first laptop I opened reminded me how much smaller netbooks are than laptops; nothing as small as I needed in there. My only hope was if I could take a larger clip and grind it down to fit the netbook micro cable connector.

Man that piece is small. Just trying to hold it while grinding it with a sand paper style nail file was a challenge. Amazingly it worked. I must be truly blessed.

Now all I had to do was remember where all the screws went after it has been apart for a week, sheesh.

While trying to get the ribbon cable to the mouse slider on the same style clip got launched, shit. Right back to the same predicament, if I couldn’t find it.

This one was even smaller that the other one. Crap.

Somehow we found it. It flew up and over Nell’s head toward the wood stove.

Another miracle, there it was on the floor by the stove amid wood debris, OMG! I can’t even begin to fathom how we found it, but we did.

The netbook went back together just fine. All the screws got used. Keyboard mouse slider thing worked and even the LAN port!!!

I know how lucky I am.

Brian Very Lucky Rodgers

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '15, 22:21 
A posting God
A posting God

BMN-Thar-Be-Walls-inside-SE-corner-biodiesel-shed-door-open
Good Morning

We had the most fabulous day for my birthday. Thank you Sara Jona and Rachel for being here and spending your time with us. That meant the world to me.

Thar-Be-Walls-inside-do-I-trim-the-is-door-or-the-frame
This metal clad door is going on the greenhouse. I’ll show better pictures of the quandary at some point between now and Wednesday when I’ll continue efforts toward closing in the greenhouse. The door I have been noticing doesn’t have metal cladding on the sides, so it would be possible to simply trim the door to accommodate the slant of the roof as opposed to trimming the roof out. The only thing I can see negative about trimming the door is we’re always stuck with a trimmed door. If we make the door way a standard size we can install what ever door we like down the road.Either way is fairly simple.

Thar-Be-Walls-outside-SE-corner-biodiesel-shed-door-open
You can see some tar paper coming over the edge of the finished sheathing on the corner of the roof. It’s a good thing I didn’t need to make a plan from the beginning I guess, because I keep changing the way the greenhouse is built. This wall will be covered with building wrap, then stucco. The roof was going to be covered with tin perhaps Pro-panel style roofing material, but I keep seeing the top where the corrugated tin will transition to whatever we put on this roof and then thinking about buying flat sheet tin to cover the two foot wide plywood panels. Like with the door I haven’t decided yet.

Rachel’s-fairy-walks-through-wind-act
Earlier in the day Rachel was at center stage doing her act on the trailer bed. We were the wind in this story.

Rachel’s-fairy-walks-through-wind-act-Sara-Nell-Jona
The weather this weekend was warm and generally beautiful. There are still patches of snow on the ground, but most has melted and there is lots of mud after the warm sun is out for a few hours.

Saturday I had to put on my cowboy hat and fix fences as the neighbors horses keep getting in. After we finished making lumber a few months ago from the big tree Jack and Jason cut above a few years ago, Montoya Pass is now passable. I suspected the horses were getting through a downed fence back there, but after crossing this snow covered road I observed no hoof tracks. I then returned my attention to the fence by the Tusas Camp meadow.

Buddy-on-Montoya-Pass-2015-January
Buddy seems to beg the question, “Which way are we going?” There is still a bit of the gigantic log left over from the big tree. Jason, Matty and I used the Alaskan Chainsaw mil to make the boardwalk for the greenhouse pond.

I think this may be my favorite selfie. Anyway it was a beautiful day and except for the mud, oh and knocking myself in the tongue with the fence pliers, it was absolutely marvelous.

Alrighty then, I’m looking forward to to getting another uninterrupted week of work under my belt. Wish me luck.

Brian Fence Rider Rodgers

PostPosted: Jan 13th, '15, 20:47 
A posting God
A posting God

we dug that pass across the hill by hand 30 years ago. Amazing what a couple hippies with picks and shovels can do

PostPosted: Jan 13th, '15, 22:43 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Boss, mate, I'm really impressed with your work and am going to be really disappointed if your build doesn't end up as my 2015 favourite system. :)
Great work, great commentary.
Keep-up-the-good-work and well done. :thumbleft:

That said, I'm having problems reading the tiny text with the big photos. :whistle:

PostPosted: Jan 13th, '15, 23:06 
A posting God
A posting God

Thank you so very much for the encouragement. I always try fix the font sizes on my site. So if you like, try going over there for the daily read:"

PostPosted: Jan 14th, '15, 08:31 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Mostly
Boss,

Any progress?

PostPosted: Jan 14th, '15, 11:33 
A posting God
A posting God

been back to working my regular job, but I'm here working on my greenhouse tomorrow, yay. I'm going to get the door to the outside installed hopefully

PostPosted: Jan 16th, '15, 00:04 
A posting God
A posting God

BMN-Wee-Progress-progress-nontheless-tricky-selfie-aquarium-style-window

Good Morning

Yesterday was pretty cool, well cold actually. I split wood for an hour or so which helped me warm up. Accessing our firewood reserves is a little bit distressing. We’ve got firewood all around us, so it isn’t going to be terrible, but we’re nearing the end of the perfectly cured and under the tarp firewood we’ve become used to this Winter.

Wee-Progress-progress-nontheless-dwindling-firewood-pile
I’m having to unpile the green blocks on top of the more seasoned wood at the bottom. At least there is plenty of cured wood under there.

Wee-Progress-progress-nonetheless-hand-split-and-stacked-firewood
This pile was down by half. Capricorns I’m told are all about piles and stacks. It is quite true I feel better with a healthy stack of firewood. Keeping it stacked high also makes me feel great and secure which is what spurs me on I suppose. I usually get weary of splitting wood, but thanks to my future son-in-law Adam Compos I just began splitting firewood.

Wee-Progress-progress-nontheless-temporary-window

Looking inside through the near future doorway at an almost enclosed greenhouse. This is so thrilling for Nell and me. I swear it almost feels warmer in there this morning when I went out to shoot pictures. It won’t be long before the greenhouse begins to hold heat.

Wee-Progress-progress-nonetheless-new-idea-to-make-this-a-wicking-bed
In the above photo is the kiwi bed. I was planning on filling this with soil, but it concerned me that there is a spot in the middle which is lower than the edges, meaning drainage will be a problem. That is until I learned about wicking bed design which intentionally leaves water in the bottom to form a anaerobic digester underneath the ground. I’m thrilled to learn about a simple and productive solution to a problem that has been bugging me ever since we dug this pond.

Wee-Progress-progress-nontheless-new-idea-to-make-this-a-wicking-bed-Looking-west
I did leave an opening for plumbing near the bottom of the kiwi bed. That opening goes through the wall to the pump area. Now I wish it was lower, but still this is a great solution.

Wee-Progress-progress-nonetheless-pump-area-under-main-grow-bed
Maybe you can make out the opening down at the bottom where the rock walls meet.

Wee-Progress-progress-nonetheless-natural-slope-on-pond-bottom
I was planning to seal the bottom of the kiwi bed on the left so water wouldn’t seep under the pond. I don’t know if water could as it is solid rock down there, but better safe than sorry.

Well that’s my story for this morning. We’re looking forward to Friday with Nell out of work due to disability and having not yet had it go through. With a little luck, this is the first full work week for me since the holidays and my surgery so we have been kind of on our seat edges. All I need to do is make it through today. Seriously, I sound like an addict. haha, “One day at a time.”

Brian Rodgers

PostPosted: Jan 16th, '15, 08:41 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Mostly
Yup full blown Addict. Isn't it great!

PostPosted: Jan 16th, '15, 20:49 
A posting God
A posting God

this is definitely addicting

PostPosted: Jan 18th, '15, 23:02 
A posting God
A posting God

Arg, the kidney stone pain is back with a vengeance. I hoped it passed. Rude awakening yesterday night. It is still stuck right where it was, dammit. I don't have time for this Micky Mouse bullcrap. Thank god we saved some pain killers just in case. I hope those pills haven't colored my posts this morning and yesterday too terribly much. I'm currently drinking Bragg organic apple cider vinegar which I'm told is helpful at breaking up kidney stones.

PostPosted: Jan 19th, '15, 05:31 

Love watching the progress, Boss. Looking forward to seeing some water flowing.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jan 19th, '15, 22:17 
A posting God
A posting God

BMN-Push-Push-Push-Greenhouse-closed-in-Buddy

Good morning

I was by no means certain I was going to be able to work on the greenhouse this weekend after a sleepless night Friday due to a second wave of kidney pain. Saturday was not much fun either, except for the positive side effects of hydrocodone. I was pretty much out of action.

Sunday we were expecting guests. Nell and I kicked butt and tossed the house a freshening. She stuck with it cleaning and waxing floors and oh my what a nice job she did on the bathroom; sparkling clean, while I shifted my attention to the greenhouse.

I pushed the fact that even though I was on pain killers it seemed like the kidney stone moved into a less hostile location I desperately wanted to finish closing in the greenhouse while the warm weather was holding.

The fist item on my hit list was the door. I’m sure I mentioned the top of the door and the edge of the roof interfered and one needed to by trimmed.

Push-Push-Push-Greenhouse-closed-in-Nell-Buddy

This is a huge turning point for the project because I can return my attention to building the pond and waterfall features. Below you may be able to see the cuts I made into the roof. It should have had a header built in, but there isn’t room. The wood will get a layer of spray foam insulation so hopefully the whole visual aspect of the jag will disappear.

Push-Push-Push-Greenhouse-closed-in-Ana-Murphy
One of our dinner guests, Ana Murphy makes an entrance into the newly enclosed greenhouse. I don’t know if it was warmer inside yet, but it was out of the wind. I’ve still got a few cracks to fill in, like the door doesn’t have molding on the jamb. Oh my goodness you can imagine how thrilled I was when that door fit in the space. So many things could have gone wrong with that installation. I mean the transition from my rough and tumble rock work days to a square opening, in the thickness of one piece of wood. I don’t even know how I’m so lucky.

Push-Push-Push-Greenhouse-closed-in-Nell-Ana-Murphy
This is a view from the house through the window which now that the greenhouse is closed in can become French doors. This shows the different levels in the greenhouse fairly well. Nell, for instance is below ground level in this earth-sheltered design. Keven is hunkered on a temporary plank which is below where the water line of the fish pond will be. Ana is standing on the main boardwalk which will come up a few more inches after I finish building the walls to the pond up to the level of the floor in the house. Having the boardwalk up a little more will mean as you enter the greenhouse from the house there will be no height transition. We don’t want people having to pay attention to where they are stepping as they enter into what we hope will be a spectacular living scene, other wise they might just go ass over tea kettle and take a swim with the fish.

Push-Push-Push-Greenhouse-closed-in-Nell-Kevin-Ana-Murphy-light
Just the way I wanted it, you can’t even see the bottom of the pond from the sitting area of the greenhouse. There is plenty of headroom, while on the boardwalk, as well as below ground level where Nell is standing.

Push-Push-Push-Greenhouse-closed-in-Nell-yay
Except for the boardwalk, all of the wooden planks are coming out. We’ll be building rock steps and seats all around. We really need more hydroponic grow beds to aid in filtering the ammonia from the fish. I had been planning on a dirt filled grow bed behind Nell. Whatever style of grow bed it is, it’ll be triangular fitting against the corner, enabling slightly more floor space for people to sit and enjoy the pond and hopefully the kiwis overhead.

Push-Push-Push-Greenhouse-closed-in-Nell-by-new-door-installation
That’s her; the amazing woman and wife who finds it in her heart to love and enable me. Thank you honey, I could not have done any of this without your love and support.

One last image which I almost forgot I had after my second kidney stone flareup.

Brian-holding-a-client’s-pet-Sonoran-tarantula-palm

Brian-holding-a-client’s-pet-Sonoran-tarantula
I’m going to work today for Desertgate after I was given the option to take it off due to Martin Luther Kings’ birthday

Last weeks full paycheck put us back in the black, and we really need to get ahead when we can. No disrespect intended to MLK Jr. I’ve got to work and it will help make my dream come true.

That’s it for my weekend drama report

Over and Out, Brian pushing the limits Rodgers

Post subject: Greenhouse French Doors
PostPosted: Jan 26th, '15, 00:54 
A posting God
A posting God

Greenhouse French Doors
The idea of French doors instead of a large thermopane glass door came about after we really began to enjoy our new wood fire heater with its glass front.

French-doors-proximity-to-fireplace-January-25th-2015
If the greenhouse door opened in, we surmised, it would block radiated heat from making it to the living room, as well as reduce heat to the greenhouse when the door was open. If the door opened into the greenhouse it would reach too far in and block access to the boardwalk. Equally if it opened into the very small dining room it would take up way too much space.

BMN-$50-French-doors
We bought these doors off of Las Vegas, New Mexico Pickers a private Facebook page. They cost $50 for both. However they had been cut down considerably and as you can see from the above photo unevenly.

Heightened-French-Doors-first-door
Heightened-French-Doors-first-door-close-up I added a 2X4 to the top and bottom to bring the height from 74 inches to 81 inches.

Heightened-French-Doors-both-doors-doweled-glued

Opening the greenhouse to the house creates a large expansion to our little house. We can not wait for water and fish in the ~1000 gallon pond.

First we had to cut the window out to the wall studs on either side of the window. The studs are on two foot centers giving us almost four feet of space and nearly seven feet of height. There is also one power outlet in the middle below the old window which needed to be relocated.

French-doors-stuck-in-January-25th-2015
Check out the block of wood I found out in the yard for the bottom of the door. Raising the door to a full step height helps we hope to keep people from tripping as they enter the greenhouse hopefully wide eyed in amazement of our lush little micro-environment. Another important aspect of the height is it will match the height of the huge plank which comprises or boardwalk over the fish pond providing shade for the fish and keeping sun off the water which reduces algae growth.

I’ll pull the doors down here in a little while and finish sizing them to fit the opening.

French-doors-looking-from-greenhouse-fish-pond-January-25th-2015
Our dog Buddy doesn’t trust any of the scaffolding and whines at the door when I’m inside. It’ll fun to see when he finally takes his first steps into the new hopefully lush green interior of our home.

French-doors-outside-door-greenhouse-January-25th-2015
I’m going down into the fish pond now for another perspective.

French-doors-looking-from-greenhouse-in-fish-pond-January-25th-2015were discussing some possibilities for our new year round permanent garden. I’m sure even with the earth-sheltering design it will still get pretty cold in here in the Winter, but the hope is we’ve stabilized the temperature swings. We should be able to grow collards, kale and that sort of hardy vegetable year round, making this a giant leap forward in sustainable living with fewer trips to the grocery store in the Winter.

French-doors-off-again-looking-in-greenhouse-January-25th-2015
Alrighty then

Brian Rodgers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 185  Next