All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 185  Next
PostPosted: Jan 20th, '18, 08:03 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Hiya Brian, glad to hear you're up and about again.
That flooring looks great. Here in Oz tiles are ceramic. Your tiles appear to be wood which would be floorboards here.
What are your guinea fowls for? Meat, eggs? I'm thinking of adding them to my menagerie.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 20th, '18, 21:29 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Hi Skeggley.
These tiles do look like wood, hehe; wood-look ceramic tiles!
Attachment:
Jan-20-2018-Almost finished-tiling-in-Powder-room.jpg
Jan-20-2018-Almost finished-tiling-in-Powder-room.jpg [ 192.22 KiB | Viewed 1792 times ]

I do feel so much better, thank you for your concern. I sure was sick of being ill. That crap lasted for two years and really started messing with my hope, head as well as my body. I'm continuing to do two hours of morning work-outs. I'm giddy and happy I can make my body work again.
Attachment:
Jan-20-2018-Almost finished-tiling-in-Powder-room-north.jpg
Jan-20-2018-Almost finished-tiling-in-Powder-room-north.jpg [ 158.41 KiB | Viewed 1792 times ]

Working in this cramped space is pushing my limits though, but I've got one last run in this room. I still need to do the second half of the guest room and one little area of the hallway to the kitchen on the other side of the angled wall seen above. I can't wait to use my energy on fun stuff again.
We bought the Guinea Fowl for grasshopper control as suggested by @Gunagulla over there. Unfortunately we're down to 7 Guineas from 30 we bought in the Spring. There are a lot of predators here in the mountains of NE NM. :shifty:
We will setups nesting areas for the Guinea Fowl hens and with a lot of luck we'll have lots of keets running around when Spring comes. We love the Guineas as they are quite entertaining. They make a ruckus over almost anything. They even greet us when we get home!
Cheers

PostPosted: Jan 21st, '18, 22:05 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning!
Yes, I'm a morning person.
In fact I was awake at 5:00AM. I already got up and pulled the fancy tile clips off the work I did yesterday.
The tile laying part of the powder room is finished! I had some mortar left over and made a plan for the different levels of the living room floor and the floor in the new guest/crafts room. I didn't have the fancy LASER level when we did the original addition on the Pink trailer. It is off by 1.5" inches on this side of the house, whoops.
Attachment:
Jan-21st-2018-Plan-for-entryway-different-levels.jpg
Jan-21st-2018-Plan-for-entryway-different-levels.jpg [ 136 KiB | Viewed 1759 times ]

Jan-21st-2018-Plan-for-entryway-different-levels
Anywho, I hope it'll be wheelchair capable for the day when we get old, hehe.
Attachment:
Jan-21st-2018-Plan-for-entryway-different-levels2.jpg
Jan-21st-2018-Plan-for-entryway-different-levels2.jpg [ 112.3 KiB | Viewed 1759 times ]

Also I hope this expanded steel will keep the tile from cracking where it transitions from one room to the next.
Attachment:
Jan-21st-2018-Plan-for-entryway-different-levels3.jpg
Jan-21st-2018-Plan-for-entryway-different-levels3.jpg [ 105.83 KiB | Viewed 1759 times ]

This is the extra credit part of the tile work I did in the powder room project.
Attachment:
Jan-21st-2018-Powder-room-tiling-finished.jpg
Jan-21st-2018-Powder-room-tiling-finished.jpg [ 106.5 KiB | Viewed 1759 times ]

I bought two part epoxy for the toilet flange. I want the toilet set so it can't move, so I'll epoxy the square area where the bolts that hold it down are located. On the other toilet I used concrete anchors to hold the toilet so it won't rock. Of course I have no idea how professionals do this, but it isn't rocket science, so this is my plan.

I am hurting this morning, but nothing to do with the work I'm doing. While the sulfa drugs have eliminated most of the pain in my joints I keep getting minor pains, in compassion to what it was. My next appointment with the Rheumatologist next month.
I had to take a Hydrocodone at some point last week, but acetaminophen has done well for this level of pain.
Next on the hit parade of work on the house will begin after the guest room tile is finished, is base boards. After the base boards are installed I'll finish the power room. OMG we can't wait to be able to use all those drawers.
Attachment:
Porky_Pig_Thats_All_Folks.jpg
Porky_Pig_Thats_All_Folks.jpg [ 46.96 KiB | Viewed 1759 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '18, 00:10 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Good work Brian, that looks really good.

Did you get some snow, too.

We had our first real snow of the winter.

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '18, 20:14 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
seems like you are really making progress on the tile now... that alone shows you must be feeling better. It looks like your entire house is going to be tile...

the guineas are dying from predators? I thought they were supposed to be smart enough to avoid predators. We've considered raising them and turning them loose on our property in TN to help control the ticks... but there are a lot of coyotes and a few bob cats and mountain lions/cougars down there so if they aren't smart enough to avoid them might not be a good idea... I thought it would be kind of fun to get a big population of them as another form of game down there too - once they were established and breeding on their own we could shoot one and roast it on the fire =)

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '18, 21:21 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Being concrete, I would use Tapcons (blue concrete screws) to secure flange. That way if something goes wrong, it is less of a mess to repair then chiseling out epoxy. .

You can use the nylon wedges if wooble presents itself. And the best luck I had is with two wax rings sandwiched together and not the reinforced rings with the collar.

Looks great! Things all appear to be hitting the original lauout without having a sliver at the end?

Adam

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '18, 22:20 
A posting God
A posting God

gnoib wrote:
Good work Brian, that looks really good.

Did you get some snow, too.

We had our first real snow of the winter.

Thank you Gnoib.
Nope, that storm didn't give us any snow.
Attachment:
Jan-20th-2018-our-big-snow.jpg
Jan-20th-2018-our-big-snow.jpg [ 105.47 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]

Barely a dusting. It looked like it stayed on the east side of the Sangre de Christo mtns heading north. :support:
It was brisk but sunny yesterday back in the forest.
Attachment:
Jan-21st-2018-Brian-and-Jason-loading-150-lb-3ft-blocks-2.jpg
Jan-21st-2018-Brian-and-Jason-loading-150-lb-3ft-blocks-2.jpg [ 186.08 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]

rininger85 wrote:
seems like you are really making progress on the tile now... that alone shows you must be feeling better. It looks like your entire house is going to be tile...

the guineas are dying from predators? I thought they were supposed to be smart enough to avoid predators. We've considered raising them and turning them loose on our property in TN to help control the ticks... but there are a lot of coyotes and a few bob cats and mountain lions/cougars down there so if they aren't smart enough to avoid them might not be a good idea... I thought it would be kind of fun to get a big population of them as another form of game down there too - once they were established and breeding on their own we could shoot one and roast it on the fire =)

Yes I am getting stronger as well as my wits are returning to normal for me, thank you.
I had big hopes the Guineas would be better at avoiding death. I'm sure it has a lot to do with them being so close to us that they didn't learn how to pay attention to predators like the wild turkeys can do.
Attachment:
Jan-8th-18-Guineas-checking-us-out-back-home-with-second-load-firewood.jpg
Jan-8th-18-Guineas-checking-us-out-back-home-with-second-load-firewood.jpg [ 150.31 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]

Brohay wrote:
Being concrete, I would use Tapcons (blue concrete screws) to secure flange. That way if something goes wrong, it is less of a mess to repair then chiseling out epoxy. .

You can use the nylon wedges if wooble presents itself. And the best luck I had is with two wax rings sandwiched together and not the reinforced rings with the collar.

Looks great! Things all appear to be hitting the original lauout without having a sliver at the end?

Adam

Thanks Adam. I like your idea with anchors. I can find out if my cheap little hammer drill will do that, but I believe the 3" sewer pipe is directly under the place where the bolts go. I'll have a look and find out for sure. Haha, what could go wrong?
Yes, the tile layout is coming out perfect thanks to your work. Much obliged.

Yesterday I explained to our dogs that I need help dragging branches from where we cut trees to erosion points in the forest. Buddy, immediately drops to the ground and just looks at me, like "what?"
Good help is hard to find.
Attachment:
Jan-21st-2018-Buddy-and-Lily-are-also-happy-I-am-back-in-the-woods.jpg
Jan-21st-2018-Buddy-and-Lily-are-also-happy-I-am-back-in-the-woods.jpg [ 175.07 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '18, 22:59 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Nice to have your own wood lot. The tiles are look really nice. I bet once your done it will look amazing.

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '18, 23:07 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

boss wrote:

Attachment:
Jan-20th-2018-our-big-snow.jpg
Jan-20th-2018-our-big-snow.jpg [ 105.47 KiB | Viewed 1619 times ]

Oh my goodness! You captured a picture of a UFO flying by... I knew they were real, just have to go to NM to get closer to ground zero... My sister lives in Roswell now and not even she has this good of a picture of a UFO...

PostPosted: Jan 23rd, '18, 09:07 
A posting God
A posting God

Rob, I hadn't even seen it. Good eye!
I finally got to spend an hour or two in our greenhouse thinning tomatoes.

After being ill for four months the tomatoes went wild.
I am now dealing with cutting sucker shoots off of sucker shoots. I decided to be brutal and traced every branch which doesn't have fruit or flowers and removing them. Sure I messed up and cut some with green fruit, but oh well, there are still loads of good producing vines left. We've been losing random branches and leaves forever. After chasing the sick looking ends in this jungle and out over the water, almost all of the wilted ends were connected to a branch with a kink or torn stem. Like I said, it went wild in there. One variety has huge fruit which put a lot of weight on the branches.
Not bad for the middle of January and two consecutive years of year round growing.
I try to keep the tomatoes and leaves out of the 2600 gallon (10 kiloliter) fish tank, because I heard they are toxic. What have you found with tomatoes over the FT?

Another splendid day.

PostPosted: Jan 23rd, '18, 18:45 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I had the same issue of jungle this summer... it was bad... I went a little overboard a little too late in the year last year which pretty much killed our tomato plants for the winter they never got a chance to reestablish. I still have a couple left out there that I haven't completely given up on, but I have fresh tomato starts in the house that are about 2" tall right now so I'll wait until they get a little bigger then move them out into the AP system.

I didn't notice an issue with the leaves getting into my secondary fish tank... I still scooped them out when I saw them but I think it would take a lot to really cause an issue with so much buffering capacity. They are toxic to humans I believe, not sure about other animals but it is a nightshade so know its not good for us.

PostPosted: Jan 23rd, '18, 22:44 
A posting God
A posting God

Thank you Rob, that was what I observed as well. The tomato leaves fall in now and then I scoop them out. Yesterday a lot got in.
I had forgot the Horntwart was in my system, for some reason it wasn't visible at the surface for a while. I was checking the fish waste level on the bottom with a broom. There was some poo that got stirred up, but not thick, like it was when the SLO malfunctioned. What I did notice was Hornwart floating everywhere afterwards. Doh! Hornwart has been clogging up the wavemaker power heads
Attachment:
Wavemaker-powerhead.png
Wavemaker-powerhead.png [ 160.27 KiB | Viewed 1747 times ]

Now I can't see the two five foot tall Hornwart plants at all. I need an under water camera to locate where they are, and hope they aren't being held down with the weight of fish waste. Also I could see the bottom of the tank to learn at what level the gunk is on the bottom.
Attachment:
Jan-23rd-2018-Still some peppers going.jpg
Jan-23rd-2018-Still some peppers going.jpg [ 111.18 KiB | Viewed 1747 times ]

Attachment:
Jan-23rd-2018-Trout-are-more-active-with-Skettering-fish-food.jpg
Jan-23rd-2018-Trout-are-more-active-with-Skettering-fish-food.jpg [ 103.59 KiB | Viewed 1747 times ]

Attachment:
Jan-23rd-2018-Trout-are-more-active-with-Skettering-fish-food-side-view.jpg
Jan-23rd-2018-Trout-are-more-active-with-Skettering-fish-food-side-view.jpg [ 79.3 KiB | Viewed 1747 times ]

Attachment:
Jan-23rd-2018-Tomatoes-volunteers-also-in-dirt.jpg
Jan-23rd-2018-Tomatoes-volunteers-also-in-dirt.jpg [ 113.48 KiB | Viewed 1747 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 23rd, '18, 22:51 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Brian they have a lot of Chinese knock offs of the Go Pro that are really cheap now for the budget minded person who just wants to dunk it in his fish tank every now and then... https://www.amazon.com/Yuntab-30-Meter- ... ion+camera

$24 with 30 meter depth rating is pretty good... I think they still shoot about the same as a Go Pro as far as quality from what I've heard/seen (Go Pro takes some getting used to to shoot good underwater videos... I've heard a couple complaints about the video on these being shaky but its no different than my Go Pro if I don't actually think about it and hold it still, hold it on what I want to shoot for 10 seconds then the video turns out shaky).

PostPosted: Jan 24th, '18, 20:56 
A posting God
A posting God

That's awesome Rob, I will put that little knock off on our budget, if I can get spousal approval that is.

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '18, 21:52 
A posting God
A posting God

Wow, inflammation kicked my butt yesterday. Thanks to my wife for getting me meds and to a lab test I setup if I had another gouty or RO type flare. I feel almost normal today. Hopefully back at it here today. Our fish are enthusiastically eating the Skettring 2.5 mm trout food. It's like the FT is alive again! Shipping is more than a full bag of trout food, so I had to wait until the new year budget could cover it. What a relief on both fronts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 185  Next