All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 178  Next
PostPosted: Jan 29th, '18, 05:52 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Hello.
I did a little more tile work. The last section I need to do before I get my life back, shouldn't take a couple more days of work.
Attachment:
Jan-2018-guest-room-entry-from-east1.jpg
Jan-2018-guest-room-entry-from-east1.jpg [ 67.97 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
Jan-2018-guest-room-entry-from-west-4.jpg
Jan-2018-guest-room-entry-from-west-4.jpg [ 77.64 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
Jan-2018-guest-room-entry-from-west-3.jpg
Jan-2018-guest-room-entry-from-west-3.jpg [ 69.67 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

Attachment:
Jan-2018-guest-room-entry-side.jpg
Jan-2018-guest-room-entry-side.jpg [ 56.92 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

With a good workout this morning I am pretty darn tired. Nevertheless I still need to do the preliminary clean-up.
See ya.

:?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 30th, '18, 00:17 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
boss wrote:
Shipping is more than a full bag of trout food, so I had to wait until the new year budget could cover it. What a relief on both fronts.

Looking good Brian! I know your feed store is probably a loooong way away, but ask them about ordering your trout food. At my local feed store they can order from their suppliers what they do not stock, and it comes on the regular truck so there is no shipping charge. You just have to go pick it up. Often I will order on the phone, they let me know when it arrives and then I go pick it up. This might get you the feed you want without breaking the bank for shipping 50# bags.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '18, 21:29 
A posting God
A posting God

Thanks David. There are a few feed stores within 13 miles. I will ask them next time around. I should check Santa Fe too. Our trout love Skretting for certain. They make the surface of the fish tank come alive during feeding.

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '18, 22:32 
A posting God
A posting God

Woke crazy early at 4:00 am, grr. Yesterday I removed a few screws and nuts from our 2003 Jetta diesel in the hope of changing out the alternator before our trip to Santa Fe for a six month check up with the rheumatologist.
On this particular vehicle the alternator is buried deep in the engine compartment, sigh. The VW factory service manual suggested I pull the belt off and yank out the alternator, haha.
I am glad VW engineers decided this was a ludicrous place to put the alternator. Unfortunately for this home mechanic this is what I'm up against. I'm having serious doubts as to whether I can do this without a vehicle lift, not to mention health issue causing a deficit of patience.
Now what am I going to do?
Most certainly this won't be done by Friday.

Wish I was doing aquaponics, but I guess I'll replace an alternator instead. :geek:

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 00:15 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Sorry your stuck with a VW. They are great cars and well built for the most part, but very difficult and expensive to work on.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '18, 23:18 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning.
I'm still working on a few other projects.
Attachment:
Feb-8th-18-The-final-stretch-tiles-last-night.jpg
Feb-8th-18-The-final-stretch-tiles-last-night.jpg [ 126.36 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]

Tiling a few days every week.
Attachment:
Feb-8th-18-The-final-stretch-tiles.jpg
Feb-8th-18-The-final-stretch-tiles.jpg [ 105.9 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]

I still have some pain. I went to the rheumatologist on Tuesday where I was reassured we are on the right track. While a name for the particular autoimmune disease may never be known, it has responded to Sulfasalazine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfasalazine Anyway I can take prednizone for inflammatory flares, which I have had a few.
I'm still working out every day and that is helping immensely.

Today I need to do water tests on all four fish tanks. Two are over-stocked with fish. I'll clean the 50 gallon fish tank in our living room as well as the 2600 gallon trout tank.
The VW diesel is still in my shop. We're still trying to decide if I should proceed or take it in for someone else to work on.
Luckily the Jeep diesel is preforming well. An aging fleet for an aging couple. Nell is still going through rough times.
I have greater and stabler hope for getting back to my projects and taking care of my sweet wife.

I showed the Rio Gallinas school staff @Jayendra's latest build Barrels in the Greenhouse Take 2 http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29420 as she is also on build number 3 and beginning a fresh build. I think this will give the staff an idea of what is to come for their geodesic dome greenhouse build.
Nell and I went in to the dome and took more measurements and got a feel for the space we have to work with.
Attachment:
Feb-2nd-2018-Rio-Gallinas-dome-South-bed.jpg
Feb-2nd-2018-Rio-Gallinas-dome-South-bed.jpg [ 152.1 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]

on Sunday last Nell and I visited with her son and family at their land in San Isidro on the Pecos River here in New Mexico.
Attachment:
Rachel-at-Pecos-river-Feb-4th-18.jpg
Rachel-at-Pecos-river-Feb-4th-18.jpg [ 130.92 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]

The lack of snow has us worried over the effects it will have on our area, especially come Spring when we rely on runoff from the mountains for irrigation. The level of the Pecos River is down by a foot from normal for this time of year.

On the Guinea fowl front, we're just about out of business with only three females left. We don't believe they will make it to Spring for grasshopper control as we hoped. We may have to end that experiment with a few dinners. I acted precipitously when I decided that we could protect birds from the predators in this environment. It took way more effort to grow out 30 Keets than we imagined.
I still like growing fish more than anything I've ever done.
That is our story for today. Thanks for reading.
Brian and Nell Rodgers.

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '18, 23:50 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
I had the same problem with my ducks and geese. Fort Knox was never good enough.

The water situation is rather precarious and one of my worries is fire. The dried up weeds are standing, no snow to push them over onto the ground.
Lets hope for the best, that Feb, March and April will bring some stuff.
You are not the only one with vehicle trouble, my Ford Truck is not starting, diesel, I need it to haul water.
Have to find somebody with a hand held computer, to find out what is wrong. Its an F650, so no towing it easily to a shop.

Maybe this little video eases the car pain. Its not a computer design, it actually happened this week.
A short trip across Australia from 7000 kilometers altitude.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_ ... 1_08.0.gif

Enjoy

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '18, 03:04 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
we're about to get hit by a snownami from the sounds of it. 2000+ miles of snow is the headline on weather.com. We're hoping they shut down work tomorrow if it is as bad as the reports seem to think it will be. It should be a test for my hoop house to see how it holds up (no worries here... but a lot of people on high tunnel group on facebook seem to think it will never work even though I addressed concerns for snow load in my design).

PostPosted: Feb 10th, '18, 22:32 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning!
It's time I rebuilt my 2600 gallon (10kl) pond filtration.

Currently I have a 30 gallon (115 liter) RFF which receives flow from a dual air lift SLO four feet (1.22 m) below in the pond.

From the RFF flow goes into a 50 gallon (189 liter) MBBF. 200 gallon (757 liter)sump.

40 cubic feet (1.12 Cubic meters) of hydroton media beds.

Flow through filtration 4 gallons (15 liters) per minute

100 8 inch (20 cm) brook trout.

I have a few places where I can make improvements-
1> 200 gallon sump has room for more biomedia, problem there is no bottom drain for clean out.
2> Replace 30 gallon RFF with 50 gallon SUP - MBBF
What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '18, 02:35 

Hi Brian :wave:

If the current MBBR is doing it's job and you aren't getting ammonia or nitrites, how about just using a SUP that's easy to clean instead of the SUP/MBBR to replace the RFF filter. Something like what I did would work -

Attachment:
IMG_0490scaled.JPG
IMG_0490scaled.JPG [ 91.25 KiB | Viewed 671 times ]

The inner bucket holds the K1 media and the outlet (this is a 5 gallon bucket inside a 20 gallon container and has a slotted hydro pot at the bottom). The top pipe is the inlet and the inflow can either go around like a swirl filter ( if you add an elbow) or straight into the side of the bucket. There's a bottom drain that you can't see and it's connected to a pump to pump the solids out (you don't have to have a pump though if gravity will work) - eventually I'll have the pump outflow connected to a mineralizer. Takes about 5 minutes to clean. I've had a pair of these on since last year and they work well.

I have some other ideas but this seems the simplest and should do the job.

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '18, 09:53 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
Without the bottoms you can still do a good job of cleaning the bottom by pumping it out, I have just added a pump to the SUFF to improve the cleaning and it works a charm, a flat plate on the end of the pipe will accelerate solids towards the pipe ensuring a good clean,much like the top cover on a bottom drain.

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '18, 09:55 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
scotty435 wrote:
Hi Brian :wave:

If the current MBBR is doing it's job and you aren't getting ammonia or nitrites, how about just using a SUP that's easy to clean instead of the SUP/MBBR to replace the RFF filter. Something like what I did would work -

Attachment:
IMG_0490scaled.JPG

The inner bucket holds the K1 media and the outlet (this is a 5 gallon bucket inside a 20 gallon container and has a slotted hydro pot at the bottom). The top pipe is the inlet and the inflow can either go around like a swirl filter ( if you add an elbow) or straight into the side of the bucket. There's a bottom drain that you can't see and it's connected to a pump to pump the solids out (you don't have to have a pump though if gravity will work) - eventually I'll have the pump outflow connected to a mineralizer. Takes about 5 minutes to clean. I've had a pair of these on since last year and they work well.

I have some other ideas but this seems the simplest and should do the job.

That is a lovely compact filter design Scotty, I have just finished building a small system for some one else and that design would have been perfect.

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '18, 10:28 

Thanks Andreas, I really like these and they handle a surprising amount of flow (depends of course on the size and volume of media).

PostPosted: Feb 12th, '18, 20:25 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning!
Attachment:
Feb-11-18-Finally-snow-back-porch-Koi-pond1.jpg
Feb-11-18-Finally-snow-back-porch-Koi-pond1.jpg [ 133.33 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]

Yay! We finally got a little snow!
3 to 5 inches in some places. Big beautiful flakes gently fell in swirls around the house.
Attachment:
Feb-10-18-Finally-snow-backyard.jpg
Feb-10-18-Finally-snow-backyard.jpg [ 144.75 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]

Attachment:
Feb-11-18-Dawn-snow-backyard.jpg
Feb-11-18-Dawn-snow-backyard.jpg [ 117.85 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]

Attachment:
Feb-11-18-Dawn-snow-trees-backyard.jpg
Feb-11-18-Dawn-snow-trees-backyard.jpg [ 94.58 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]

It's started to snow this morning as well. I hope this is a trend.

Thank you Rob, Scotty and Dasboot.
I tested the water in our 2600 gallon trout tank as well as the living-room 50 gallon tropical fish aquarium yesterday.
The results of ammonia nitrite and nitrate are; trout FT ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 40.
To me this seems like the ammonia is being processed by the current level of biomedia including the K2.
The resulting nitrite is as well being converted to nitrate.
The plants are the weak point in this scenario?
Perhaps what the AP really needs is another SLO upgrade as only 4 gallons per minute are flowing through the filters?
This isn't making a lot of sense to me.
Every time I stir up the bottom of the tank flakes of waste fill the water with gunk. How are these flakes not emitting high levels of ammonia? Is the ammonia staying near the bottom. This is a deep tank, although not as deep as @PLJ's big system.
Having the aquarium style window in the side of our big tank shows the trout look healthy. Fins are strong and long, no signs of the Zinc poisoning from the previous batch.

Searching for answers. Thanks everyone.
Brian

PostPosted: Feb 12th, '18, 21:42 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
The white looks good Brian. I was wondering if it reached that far South.
It is snowing right now and will do so on and off all week long.
Puts a big smile on my face :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 178  Next