All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 178  Next
PostPosted: Feb 12th, '18, 21:57 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
gnoib wrote:
The white looks good Brian. I was wondering if it reached that far South.
It is snowing right now and will do so on and off all week long.
Puts a big smile on my face :D

We sure need a smiles trend.
This may be it too!
----------

:?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 16th, '18, 23:32 
A posting God
A posting God

Hallelujah, the friggin tiles are all set.
Attachment:
Feb-16-18-Finally-all-tiles-set.jpg
Feb-16-18-Finally-all-tiles-set.jpg [ 83.98 KiB | Viewed 948 times ]

A little grout and I can give my aching knees a break.
Attachment:
Feb-16-18-Finally-all-tiles-set2.jpg
Feb-16-18-Finally-all-tiles-set2.jpg [ 97.87 KiB | Viewed 948 times ]

This only took 3 or perhaps 4 months to do. :laughing3: :) :?
Yay yay yayo!
Soon I'll be able to focus more attention on aquaponics and crafts with a brand new crafts/guest room. We're so excited! :D
----------
If you have kept up with my posts you know I have been considering rebuilding our filtration for the 2600 FT. A recent water test shows the ammonia is low (.25) and nitrate are not terribly high at 20.

I also had a look at the bottom of the fish tank which is very close to 2 meters down and it looks better than I suspected. This gunk situation isn't as dire as I worried it was.

I also worried that the buildup of fish waste on the surface of the 4 media beds, but this appears to have been resolved by simply digging in the clay beads and removing the top layer where the buildup was.

It appears the 37 cubic feet of media beds are doing a good job of converting ammonia to nitrates for the plants. Add to that 2 cubic feet of K2 in the MBBR and for now with 100 Brook trout at an average of 8" the water chemistry is okay.

I know it's difficult to tell without saying how much feed I am giving the fish.
I'll start measuring the feed added twice daily as well as dong consistent water tests.

I believe, now that the fish are eating the Skettering 2.4 mm trout food so well, we will see better growth and I'll need to add more K2 or equivalent media to the MBBR system or add another barrel.

At this point I need to clean the RFF about once a week. That duration is no doubt going to decrease as the trout reach plate size.

I like the idea of changing the current 30 gallon RFF to a 50 gallon SUF, but I don't see room in the SUF to significantly increase the cubic feet of the K2.

The good news is now that I don't need pain killers I can think properly again. I mean this isn't rocket science, right?

PostPosted: Feb 17th, '18, 22:09 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning.
The first part acquired for building a vacuum for the 2600 gallon FT.
Attachment:
Feb-18-18-Beginnings-of-pond-vacuum-system.jpg
Feb-18-18-Beginnings-of-pond-vacuum-system.jpg [ 110.23 KiB | Viewed 917 times ]

Image on package shows this hose as a outflow for a trash pump. I plan on using it on the inflow side. Normally the outflow of a trash pump is collapsible pipe. The suction pipe side of the pump needs to have strong sides to keep it from collapsing.
I still haven't found an electric trash pump though. I may be building my own pump if I can find a trash pump housing and add an electric motor to it. :think:
This is a good start for this project.

PostPosted: Feb 20th, '18, 22:04 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning!
I bought a barrel and bulkheads for our new Static Up Flow.
I bought it from the same place where I got the first; Big R.
Attachment:
Feb-20-2018-whoops-new-barrel-bigger-than-MBBR.jpg
Feb-20-2018-whoops-new-barrel-bigger-than-MBBR.jpg [ 103.91 KiB | Viewed 871 times ]

This one is 5 gallons (20 liters) larger than the first.

I had built-in a large flagstone shelf which has our small DWC sitting on the east side of the 2600 gallon fish tank. The barrels both just barely fit under the flagstone. I see an easy fix for this issue which solves another issue I've had while planning this filter upgrade; switch the barrels. I believe the larger barrel will fit where the MBBR sits.

The larger barrel has a smaller screw-on lid and should fit around the slab of flagstone.
The current RFF, which you may remember is a 30 gallon (112 liter) powder-coated steel dynamite barrel which sits on cinder block to get tops of the barrels at the same level. It will be tight back there where the filters are, but I figured it would be anyway.

The benefit of switching the MBBR barrel with the larger barrel is the area for the K2 inside the MBBR can be increased. The MBBR currently contains 2 cubic feet (14 gallons) of K2 in the 50 gallon barrel, Ishould be able to double the amount of K2 or the newer type of media
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DESIGN-2-Cubic-Foot-Aquarium-Moving-Bed-Filter-Media-Better-Than-Kaldnes-K2/262038273333?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
The current MBBR bulkheads are in the same place as the current RFF. I'll change the plumbing around inside so it conforms to the designs you you all have generously provided.
So, this mistake should be a good thing, right? Or perhaps I should have worded this so it sounds like I had this in mind all along? :laughing3:

PostPosted: Feb 28th, '18, 22:25 
A posting God
A posting God

Good Morning!
How is everybody?

I figured out an issue of great importance to my well being.
Circumstances in my life continually lead me to question how each of the medications I take affect me. Most recently, the question of sleep comes to my mind.
I know I am not alone with issues of sleep. Perhaps my experience can help, but everyone is different and has their own issues.
You may have seen a link I posted yesterday. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/15-ways-to-fall-asleep-faster_us_55dde3e7e4b04ae497054470
There are several helpful suggestions listed. I tried a few of these when I woke at 1:00 AM while our dog Andy woke me incessantly barking at the beautiful moon.
This morning I realized that something worked and it fit like the final piece of the jigsaw puzzle.

The sleep suggestion I was trying was get up and do something.
It struck me with a shock. I used to do this all the time while I was trouble shooting tricky jobs I was working on.

Those of us with insomnia know how vivid the thoughts in our heads are in the middle of the night, right?
The trick is to change that noise into something we can use.
In my case most issues are mechanical and I need to work them out sooner than later.

Our subconscious minds are really good at figuring out complex issues of the day. I believe we should treat our subconscious mind much the same way we treat our conscious mind. If we need to learn something we provide ourselves with the tools we need to learn something!

When I wake in the night I need to think about what the parameters are of the issue I want to work out. Instead of casting about trying to figure out how to solve the issue with waking thoughts, provide tools for successful solutions.

For my example I have to work out how to upgrade the filtration on our aquaponics system to accommodate twice as many fish as we had last season.
We have:
1> Space constraints in a small fish / green house
2> because I use gravity feed for most of the water flow, I have specific water level constraints.
3> Filters need to be cleaned more often with more fish and feed.
These are the major rules.
Solve these and the rest should fall in place.
Attachment:
Sump-is-too-high-2-28-18.jpg
Sump-is-too-high-2-28-18.jpg [ 66.77 KiB | Viewed 829 times ]

Now that I have the main problems with our AP addressed I can move forward with working out how to effectively clean both the new SUF and MBBR.
Brian

PostPosted: Mar 1st, '18, 00:26 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
looks like the sump needs busted out and lowered! =)

PostPosted: Mar 8th, '18, 23:00 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning.
I had difficulty sleeping, but here I am looking at another beautiful day.
I spent much of yesterday working in our aquaponics house.
It sure looks good this morning because of that effort.
Attachment:
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-DWC.jpg
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-DWC.jpg [ 126.02 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]

We're getting a lot of fish waste everywhere the water goes being overstocked with trout. Hopefully the modifications I'm working on will give us time to get the fish to plate size.
Attachment:
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-feeding-time.jpg
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-feeding-time.jpg [ 115.5 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]

The trout are dong very well as is the water. I'll do a 30% water change perhaps today since it looks so nice outside.
Attachment:
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-Reflections.jpg
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-Reflections.jpg [ 93.45 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]

I was recently on the roof and noticed the screws in the acrylic had been pulled through. I am not certain when or how that occurred. Possibly a gust of wind when the front door was opened...?
Attachment:
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-RFF-MBBR.jpg
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-RFF-MBBR.jpg [ 101.82 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]

I'm considering using the DWC to start seedlings. I'd need to change the Styrofoam out for one with larger hole cut in to accommodate the 3" net pots with media inside. Currently the holes are 1" for pinch pots.
Attachment:
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-DWC-reflection.jpg
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-DWC-reflection.jpg [ 126.48 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]

Nothing like a photo with the air bubbler turned off.
I have a few more photos this morning...

PostPosted: Mar 8th, '18, 23:17 
A posting God
A posting God

Attachment:
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-Rocks-removed.jpg
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-Rocks-removed.jpg [ 109.03 KiB | Viewed 739 times ]

I had shorts and no shoes on and stood on the flagstone shelf seen as a light color below the surface in the pond to remove the rocks I had placed in there last year. The shelf was for lilies, but they never did well so I tried to create a gravel bed thinking perhaps the two year old trout might spawn. Wishful thinking I suppose.
Attachment:
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-remaining-tomato-vines.jpg
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-remaining-tomato-vines.jpg [ 153.03 KiB | Viewed 739 times ]

I removed tomato vines which we dead. I hope the remaining vines will keep us in tomatoes until the new plants come in.
Attachment:
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-remaining-tomato-vines2.jpg
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-remaining-tomato-vines2.jpg [ 144.21 KiB | Viewed 739 times ]

There is a lot of fish waste where the water comes in to the media beds. I may clean that area and leave the rest as I don't want it to go anaerobic down under the gunk, right?
Attachment:
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-North-side-media-beds.jpg
3-8-18-Green-fish-house-Spring-cleaning-North-side-media-beds.jpg [ 145.27 KiB | Viewed 739 times ]

Collards, I believe. These were planted last Spring. Beautiful plant. Big long stems as they were competing with the rampant growth of the cherry tomatoes for light.

PostPosted: Mar 9th, '18, 00:20 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
That looks great Brian, the Spring Itch is coming. We will have 60 degree. The snow is melting rapidly and I even have some water in the ponds, good enough for maybe June.
Something has to happen at the water front.
The pair of wild ducks has shown up, the Geese made an inspection.
The greenhouse is planted with potatoes and the seeds, Tomatoes, Peppers are coming up, they are still sitting in the Wintergarden.

PostPosted: Mar 9th, '18, 03:07 
A posting God
A posting God

Yes the Spring is coming. Unlike the motivation I get in the Fall to seal the house up before the stuff we missed this Winter happens I usually feel like I missed the boat on Spring preparations. I hope this season I am more prepared. Thanks Gnoib

PostPosted: Mar 9th, '18, 18:46 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Brian what zone are you considered where you are at? Being at a higher elevation does it move you back north a bit for USDA zones?

I'm still working on refining my planting schedule (which doesn't really apply to AP since it is warmer in the greenhouse I could plant stuff almost anytime, but I can share it once I have it under control...) I went a bit overboard at first and had successive plantings for everything listed out to try and have constant supply of everything but I need to step back and make sure my initial planting dates are good first then worry about successive plantings afterwards because I'm running out of planting space.

Those greens look massive. I haven't had collard greens, are they similar to chard that you use them in salads or sautee them?

PostPosted: Mar 9th, '18, 18:51 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Oh, RE:Spring is coming... one of my co-workers told us his father who has a lot of Native American lineage has been tracking snow storms for the past 35 years based on indian folklore of how to determine how many snow storms there will be in a year... he says we're down to about 3 left (said it has been 90% accurate +/- 2 snow storms for the past 35 years). They record the first snow fall in December and count the number of days until the next full moon and that number of days is supposed to be the number of snow storms we get in a year... we started December 8th with 23 which was above the 35 year average of 18. Supposed to be getting close!

PostPosted: Mar 9th, '18, 21:39 
A posting God
A posting God

I think we're 5B. We get snow in the middle of May and or it starts again on Halloween some years. Super unpredictable. Although we haven't seen it in ten years, it gets down to -20F at night. We have a 500 foot water line buried 2 to 3 feet depending on the depth of bedrock across the top of the hill over to where my folks house is. Thank goodness it hasn't been that cold, because when that line freezes there is nothing we can do, but wait for Spring.
I suspect the lack of hard freezes like that has its own set of problems like more pests.
Last year I started more seeds than I was prepared to plant. I was still working last Spring. I hope to do more planning this season, but the shear quantity of factors that need to be considered is overwhelming.
We really need a large greenhouse if we're going to try to be more self-sufficient. The major natural force to contend with these days is wind.
I like the idea of a 24'X60' semi-subterranean greenhouse. Heat loss and wind resistance are minimal with earth-sheltering.
Anywho, on a more attainable scale;
Yesterday we bought 80' 1/4" id polyethylene tubing as well as 8 matching hose barbs.
I haven't given up on the airlift pump.
One aspect of the air-lift design I hadn't tried is using smaller diameter pipe with greater volume of air.
I still need to source inexpensive airline valves. I plan on building my own air manifold for the AP using this 1/4" PE tube. The six way manifold that came with our air pump is leaking and hard to adjust.
For the air-lift pump itself I'll try to create a bell at the bottom. I'll try 1" PVC as the main pipe going down to the SLO and where the air is injected I'll build a conversion to 1 1/2" PVC. The idea I think with an Air-lift pump is not only does the air bubbles drag the water along with it as it races to the top, but some kind of density differential occurs as well.
With a little ingenuity and a lota luck I may be able to raise the water higher so I can get the levels in the filters where it's more convenient to work with.
Speaking of luck
Attachment:
March-8-2018-Fox-treed-Guineas-safe.jpg
March-8-2018-Fox-treed-Guineas-safe.jpg [ 182.38 KiB | Viewed 757 times ]

We had a visitor last night at dusk.
This wouldn't have worried us except for the fact that we couldn't get our remaining Guinea fowl in their house.
What a beautiful creature.
We let the Fox be and tried until dark to get our birds in. The best we could do was chase the birds out of the tree on that side of the yard to out back in a different tree where our dogs are in charge.
With a sigh of relief I see the Guineas are fine this morning.
Attachment:
March-8-2018-Fox-treed-last-night-Guineas-safe-this-morning.jpg
March-8-2018-Fox-treed-last-night-Guineas-safe-this-morning.jpg [ 144.8 KiB | Viewed 757 times ]

Attachment:
March-8-2018-Fox-treed-last-night-Guineas-safe-this-morning2.jpg
March-8-2018-Fox-treed-last-night-Guineas-safe-this-morning2.jpg [ 264.21 KiB | Viewed 757 times ]

Attachment:
March-8-2018-Fox-treed-last-night-Guineas-safe-this-morning3.jpg
March-8-2018-Fox-treed-last-night-Guineas-safe-this-morning3.jpg [ 275.06 KiB | Viewed 757 times ]

PostPosted: Mar 9th, '18, 22:22 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I think we're considered 5B too so planting schedule should be similar aside from other geological differences.

Fox are good looking critters, but I think ours got wiped out by our coyote population. I'm OK with seeing them through your lens though I don't need them around here. There is a den down the road from my work where there is a gravel pit on one side of the road and a park on the other side of the road with a disc golf course. The fox will actually go steal the discs when people are playing disc golf. Swiper no swiping! Swiper no swiping! Swiper no swiping! Awww man!

PostPosted: Mar 9th, '18, 23:50 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
I am like Brian at over 7000 feet and we can get snow till late May, or serious frosts into June.
Last year we had 16F night frost in the first week of June. It did a serious number on the scrub oak, snow berries and so. Bears lost most of their spring and summer food and became a problem for the towns and their trash cans. I had to stop feeding birds including hummers, because of bears.
My outside garden got nailed.
Its very unpredictable because of the altitude.
I have for this year raised wiking beds and plan to built mini loop houses over them, which I can cover with insulation for the night and maybe hang a light bulb for heating, so I can start early.
One of the beds I filled with manure last fall, put a wheat tarp on top of it. The stuff is cooking, never froze, even at-5F. I shovel the snow from the roofs on it. It melts and flushes the urine out, which I catch in a bucket and than use as fertilizer in the green house and wintergarden.
Great stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 178  Next