All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 185  Next
PostPosted: Apr 7th, '18, 12:33 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
That is where I hang out to fuel the koi side of things.

SacramentoKoi on YouTube has an 1hr long trip that leaves you searching for more buying experiences.

Russel Peters is the owner of pskoi and a wealth of information for all ones koi needs. He has built an imdoor setup as well as returned from a buying trip...... (may of linked to it But not working for me on phone)

Adam

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 7th, '18, 21:08 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Adam, you were my inspiration to head back to Koiphen and do more reading. I'm glad my computer remembered my login, lol.
A couple items I found interesting were leaf baskets as I finally got around to trimming the tomatoes over the fish tank and now need to clean debris from the water and powerheads in the tank, doh!
The other is their reviews of pumps and saw https://www.homedepot.com/p/Alpine-0-60-HP-Eco-Twist-Pump-with-Controller-5300-GPH-33-ft-Cord-PXX5300C/300497447
Attachment:
Alpine-Ecotwist-pump-with-controller.png
Alpine-Ecotwist-pump-with-controller.png [ 129.52 KiB | Viewed 1530 times ]

Check out the specs:
Attachment:
Alpine-Eco-twist-pump-with-controller-specs.png
Alpine-Eco-twist-pump-with-controller-specs.png [ 127.71 KiB | Viewed 1530 times ]

Over on Koiphen they are going to test this, but dang 1/2 amp at full power! Wow!

PostPosted: Apr 8th, '18, 08:12 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Periha is a pump i am runming externally. Around 10.5k @ 60 watts. Can bump up to around 12.3k @ 80.

Adam

PostPosted: Apr 8th, '18, 20:12 
A posting God
A posting God

Oh yeah right. Wow that's even better.
Are you still happy with this pump?
I went back to your post about the pump you are using, but didn't find the model.
I gather it is this one:
Periha advanced DC Variable PB Amphibious Pump Model PB-10000 2100-2600GPH
Variable Frequency Amphibious Pump PB-10000 Output: Level 1 - 8000LPH (2113GPH) at 40w Level 2 - 9000LPH (2377GPH) at 50w Level 3 - 10000LPH (2642GPH) at 60w Max Head: Level 1 - 4.5M Level 2 - 5M Level 3 - 5.5M It uses advanced DC efficient energy saving technology Run dry protection Use internal or external Quiet Operation Controller to Adjust 3 speeds.

Looking at this one as it matches my system total water volume (around 3,000 gallons ~ 11,000 liters.)
Attachment:
Periha-PB-16000.png
Periha-PB-16000.png [ 495.53 KiB | Viewed 1470 times ]

Variable Frequency Amphibious Pump PB-16000 Output: Level 1 - 14000LPH (3698GPH) at 60w Level 2 - 15000LPH (3963GPH) at 70w Level 3 - 16000LPH (4227GPH) at 80w Max Head: Level 1 - 4.5M Level 2 - 5M Level 3 - 5.5M It uses advanced DC efficient energy saving technology Run dry protection Use internal or external Quiet Operation Controller to Adjust 3 speeds
It's still pretty darn good general wattage usage and certainly better at 8' head height in our AP than the Laguna PT821 in use now.
This is certainly a good point in the evolution of our AP to upgrade the water pump along with the filtration.
Attachment:
4-3-18-Fish-getting-big-almost-plate-size.jpg
4-3-18-Fish-getting-big-almost-plate-size.jpg [ 170.74 KiB | Viewed 1470 times ]

Thanks for adding to my knowledge.

PostPosted: Apr 8th, '18, 21:45 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I am usng the 12-14l/hr model. Actual flow rate is a "guesstimate" at point at discharge and nothing even close to what is being done to verify manufacturer claims vs real world application.

I am happy with the purchase and seems to be a good value. Only two months into use, but it is performing beter than a 10k liter pump I purchased from Allied aqua that I pretty much quit using after 3 month b/c it was noisy and would take somerime to start back if power lost.

Now, save up the $$$$ for an RDF.......

Adam

PostPosted: Apr 9th, '18, 21:54 
A posting God
A posting God

Okay I'll bite: RDF? The more I read about the Periha pumps them more interested I get.
Looking at impeller designs because of debris falling in sump and pond
Attachment:
leaf-basket-on-Periha-pumps.jpg
leaf-basket-on-Periha-pumps.jpg [ 152.41 KiB | Viewed 1404 times ]

Unfortunately I am not seeing a lot of information about these leaf baskets other than, they are expensive.
From the videos I've seen, they look like they need cleaning all the time in outdoor pond systems.
I suppose everyone knows already why we build our own filtration systems instead of buying them.
Koi pond filtration system design and manufacturing from my point of view looks like quite a good business model. $US1300 for the least expensive self-cleaning sieve, dang.
Attachment:
Eddy-pumps-vs-centrifical-pumps.jpg
Eddy-pumps-vs-centrifical-pumps.jpg [ 72.04 KiB | Viewed 1404 times ]

Attachment:
Periha-open-face-impeller.png
Periha-open-face-impeller.png [ 125.75 KiB | Viewed 1404 times ]

Attachment:
Jebao-closed-face-impeller.png
Jebao-closed-face-impeller.png [ 252.55 KiB | Viewed 1404 times ]

I think I understand what they are saying on Koiphen about the difference in impeller design is what makes the 80% trash / 20% water type pump need positive water pressure to start the pump and the other 20% trash / 80% water more able to suck water up to self-prime, being the trade off.
Looking at those flexible pipes on the pumps I have to imagine even with the larger inside diameter the eddy currents caused by the ripply side walls must create a lot more back-pressure.
However the Laguna pump I had to make an adapter to keep the pipe size bigger instead of the reducing adapter it came with. Still I used 1" pipes on the delivery plumbing.
I can't find what size pipe fitting the Periha pump uses.
What size pipe does your Periha have Adam?

PostPosted: Apr 9th, '18, 22:16 
Legend Member
Legend Member

RDF = Radial Drum Filter

Ill have to go back an look at the impeller difference. 1.5" is what size inlet/outlet on my model. Think it this size for the 10k-18k l/hr pumps and then bumps up to 2" for the 20 and 25k pumps.

Adam

PostPosted: Apr 9th, '18, 22:28 
A posting God
A posting God

Doh, of course. I had redundant dual flow stuck in my head lol
I sent the tile cutter along with Jona and Sara. He'll bring it to the shop when you're coming down.
Thanks for the pipe size

PostPosted: Apr 10th, '18, 03:47 

Adam, did you mean Rotary Drum Filter or just Drum Filter?

PostPosted: Apr 10th, '18, 08:18 
Legend Member
Legend Member

scotty435 wrote:
Adam, did you mean Rotary Drum Filter or just Drum Filter?
Yes, rotary. For whatever reason, auto correct inserted radial...... Maybe b/c looking for new compound miter saw.....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Apr 10th, '18, 22:14 
A posting God
A posting God

ah, the cats meow of filters.
The uniseals came in. Now I have to put all the bs I said I can do into a plan and build the cone-bottom RFF. I'll need to find a piece of steel to make a ring for the bracket around the tank. Time to break out the welding gear for that part of the build. Also I'm not certain how much noise the air-lift pump will make in the configuration I have in mind, but I might need to find something to make a lid from for the tank that will muffle the sound as well as keep germanium petals out of the filter. Perhaps a trash bin lid will suffice.
Seeing how Jayendra is doing dual MBBFs and plumbing two fish tanks into one RFF is encouraging me to do dual inflows into my RFF. I've got this oversize tank so I can increase the flows plus I'm going to upgrade my water pump so I might as well do two 1.5 inch (38mm) pipes in as well as out. I can return one to the MBBR and the other for now to the sump and if I go with a second MBBR later it can go into that.
I am cleaning the current RFF every other day and man I am looking forward to the larger size drain system the new RFF has. This new setup will have the drain above the foundation of the greenhouse so if I need to I can simple dump solids outside. I need to read more about how the mineralization tanks work on a weekly basis as I do want to send solids there for continued processing. Currently with the huge fish load I have a lot of solids to deal with.
Attachment:
Dual-inflows-RFF-combine-or-not-solids-dispersal.jpg
Dual-inflows-RFF-combine-or-not-solids-dispersal.jpg [ 111.94 KiB | Viewed 1449 times ]

Do I combine the two 1.5" pipes with a tee with 1.5" on two sides and one 3" on top? This might create a better dispersal pattern for waste. If it doesn't make much difference it will be simpler to just zip-tie the two inflows together and let the solids fall where they may. I still need to find a small trash bin to use as a stilling well, but other than that I think this can happen pretty quick and hopefully today.

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '18, 08:01 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Both of those pumps are better for power usage than what I'm using... Hmm... Hopefully I remember to look here next time I need a new pump.

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '18, 09:33 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
[color=#0000FF][color=#0000FF][/color][/color][quote="boss"
Attachment:
Dual-inflows-RFF-combine-or-not-solids-dispersal.jpg

Do I combine the two 1.5" pipes with a tee with 1.5" on two sides and one 3" on top? This might create a better dispersal pattern for waste.[/quote]

Boss I'd combine the two 1.5" pipes with a tee with 1.5" on two sides and one 3" on top? That would create a better dispersal pattern than having 2 x pipes.

If you have the space fit them in, use nice wide curves from the Tee to give a good even water flow rather than tight 90 degree elbows, 2 x 45 degree elbows on each end of the Tee would be ideal, or even 1 x 45 degree on each would be better than 90 degree elbows.

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '18, 19:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

RE post #2429:

My sieve is doing everything I hoped it would do and all on for about $450 (less time). I do not have the adjustable weir so it requires a bit more babysitting...... add water to the tank to bring up levels that have evaporated every 2-3 days.

I would make the sump deeper so the output from the lower inlet could feed the operation entirely and not be dependent upon the upper inlet to make up the difference.

I would raise my overall height 2" so I would not be close ro overflowing when power goes out and levels equalize.

I would shorten the overall length so i could just rinse the debris right to waste instead of the "shelf" I created

I need to put a cover over the top to reduce algae growth and I really need to paint my IBC to further reduce the growth. If I ever get my DIY gravel filter running, maybe install my UV to further combat :whoknows:

One more day of projects to where I can go back into GH and hopefully start gerring after again.....

Adam

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '18, 20:05 
A posting God
A posting God

Thanks Joeblow, that's what it looked like to me as well. Yesterday was kind of a bugger for me. I had exaggerated pain in my hip which felt almost as bad as it did three months ago. Since it isn't hurting this morning I have to assume it was inflammatory arthritis rearing its ugly head. I couldn't even finish my morning workout. This is such a sneaky disease. Sure, I'm glad it goes away, but it really seems to catch me by surprise over and over again.

I managed to locate two good pieces of steel to build a bracket for the cone-bottom tank. The first one is a barrel-top ratchet clamp that fits around the whole tank nicely. The second took longer to locate and I came back to it after finding it earlier in the day because it seemed a shame to use a basket-ball hoop if I didn't have to. Plus the hoop was still attached to a back-board and I had to drag the whole thing up the hill to the shop to get the bolts out. That about murdered me, but I did it. :notworthy:
Attachment:
4-11-18-found-two-sizes-of-rings-for-the-bracket.jpg
4-11-18-found-two-sizes-of-rings-for-the-bracket.jpg [ 104.86 KiB | Viewed 1353 times ]

It fits nicely, and perhaps I'll be able to use the bracket to attach it to the wall of the greenhouse. :think:
Today Nell wants to go to town for material for the curtain for our small walk-in closet. Oh yeah we bought a closet organizer!
Attachment:
4-10-18-closet-organizer.jpg
4-10-18-closet-organizer.jpg [ 62.16 KiB | Viewed 1353 times ]

If you can believe it, I was actually reluctant to buy one because I could build something. What a dope my brain is sometimes. Like I don't have enough projects already.
Anyway, while we're in town I'll hit up the hardware stores for that Tee with two 1.5"s and a 3" inch top. The slope on the cone-bottom tank is 45° so an elbow of the same angle will bring the pipe back to vertical or horizontal right? :think: Now that I think about it would this make the two flows hit each other at 180°?
Maybe I should continue with the idea to bring the two pipes together side by side into a vertical direction. Instead of zip-tying them together, I'll surround them with a 4" pipe which will combine the flows moving in the same direction?

Thanks for that Adam. I hear you on the tweaks for the sieve. It's all about levels and flows with this stuff. For me at times it makes more sense in hindsight. I hope that with the air-lift pump being adjustable I'll have better control over the flow going into the RFF, but this stuff really is rocket science. For example when adjusting the water flows to the four media beds to tweak the auto-siphons on my system every change to one effects a small change on the others. The only way to do this is a seat of pants approach; make the change and wait and see what happens. Now that I am going to upgrade the water pump everything will need to be tweaked again. I can see where having control over the output of the Periha pump could be helpful there is still a lot of cause and affect going on. :think:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 185  Next