All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171  Next
PostPosted: Jun 15th, '18, 07:21 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Sometimes
Looks like the dog has approved the backfill. :thumbright:

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '18, 20:43 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Good Morning!
We got a sprinkle of rain yesterday. I got busy again yesterday and I'm pretty sore today.
One more small trailer load of topsoil on the excavation site. Other than the pre-dawn lack of light in these photos, that's looking pretty darn good if I don't say so myself.
Attachment:
Backfill-nearly-finished-really-fun-yet-exhausting-work.jpg
Backfill-nearly-finished-really-fun-yet-exhausting-work.jpg [ 86.71 KiB | Viewed 672 times ]

A little bit of rain makes the soil look so much better.
Attachment:
Clamatis-Delphiniums-also-doing-well-6-17-18.jpg
Clamatis-Delphiniums-also-doing-well-6-17-18.jpg [ 134.33 KiB | Viewed 672 times ]

Gardens are sucking up well water, everywhere else is dry dry.
Attachment:
Tested-cone-bottom-Radial-flow-filter-6-17-18-sorta-kinda-worked.jpg
Tested-cone-bottom-Radial-flow-filter-6-17-18-sorta-kinda-worked.jpg [ 114.22 KiB | Viewed 672 times ]

The most exciting news from yesterday is I setup the cone-bottom radial flow filter and got water from the bottom of the pond all the way up into the filter, albeit slowly.
Attachment:
Tested-cone-bottom-Radial-flow-filter-6-17-18.jpg
Tested-cone-bottom-Radial-flow-filter-6-17-18.jpg [ 55.5 KiB | Viewed 672 times ]

I finally drilled a hole in the wall inserting one side of the dual drain which will go to a worm bin, the other will go to a future mineralization tank.
While gluing the pieces together for the drains from the filter together I thought it might work to use flexible tubing from the SLO to go around the DWC to the RFF. That turned out to be a cool idea as it meant I could move the SLO around and even use the air-lift-pump as a vacuum. Also it enabled me to test the most efficient position for getting the air-lift pump to raise the water up the meter above the water in the pond.
Attachment:
Had-a-brain-fart-made-the-SLO-mobile-for-vacuuming-6-17-18.jpg
Had-a-brain-fart-made-the-SLO-mobile-for-vacuuming-6-17-18.jpg [ 90.18 KiB | Viewed 672 times ]

One issue was that I had to hold the SLO so it didn't raise up with all that air in the tube, so I couldn't fine tune the air flow. An extra set of hands maybe would have helped, but really what I need to do according to my buddy Weldon is install a regulator to control pressure and a needle valve to control flow of air into the air-lift-pump. The next part of this test will be to build some kind of bracket to hold the SLO in place, enabling me to further work on the fine tuning.
Attachment:
SLO-mobile-for-vacuuming-Now-I-need-to-dream-up-a-bracket-for-stationary-mount-6-17-18.jpg
SLO-mobile-for-vacuuming-Now-I-need-to-dream-up-a-bracket-for-stationary-mount-6-17-18.jpg [ 136.31 KiB | Viewed 672 times ]

Very cool idea, but it made it difficult to adjust the air-flow through the air-lift-pump. At times I was holding the SLO with my right hand while reaching around the side of the fish tank to reach the air valve in that big arms look Jesus had in that painting Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper.
That's me for certain :laughing3:

:?

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '18, 21:42 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
In my messing around a few times, got more output using a diffused air source than just straight injection.

Do you have anything at the end of the airline?

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '18, 23:56 
A posting God
A posting God

Thanks for the reply Adam. What I've seen is the depth of the air-stones makes the biggest difference. With this in mind I removed the air-stone from the lowest air-line (5.5" (1.68 meter)) otherwise the lowest bubbler wouldn't make bubbles. One major item I'm getting ready to move on is the air manifold. I'm told by the guy that turned me on to air-lift pumps as he has been improving on his well water air-lift pump over the last decade of using multiple designs is that a regulator and needle valve on the air-lift pump makes all the difference in performance.

My latest design in air-lifted SLO uses a PVC collar around the 1'5" (38mm) PVC pipe. The in between the layers of the collar and the SLO pipe are dozens of 1/64th" holes all around the pipe. This creates fine bubbles from the entire interior circumference of the pipe, or so we hope. From there I have to imagine because I can't see inside the pipe that along that route to the RFF every change in direction the air bubbles have another opportunity to move to the top of the pipe separating from the water creating air pockets aka vapor lock. I'm looking here to see if what I just wrote holds water (I'm so proud I did a pun!) http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/hydraulic-fluids/effects-air-hydraulic-systems-0
Looks kinda like what I'm speaking of.

So in regards to air-lift pumps compared to closed loop system in hydraulics where fluid compression characteristics is of critical concern, what concerns me as I attempt to tune flow to the greatest volume, is at what point in the fluid system the vapor lock due to the air injected into water overshadows the overall flow.
Thus, I believe the two points of concern are controlling the air pressure as well as the volume, then observing via moving the flexible pipe to find out at what position the vapor lock if any occur.
I hope that wasn't as difficult to comprehend as it was to write :laughing3:
Obviously I'm out of my comfort zone in grasping what is going on inside the pipes, so I can use all the help I can get from all my AP fiends :notworthy: .

I'm thinking the difference between my application and my buddy's well water air-lift pump is that in his well the bubbles go straight upwards, then where it turns and goes to his water tank the water loses the air bubbles and flows slightly downwards filling the raised water tank.
On a side note that may be of interest, is that this friend, down in Texas also has his wind-powered air-compressor mounted on top of a homemade free-standing lattice tower to run his air-lift well-water pump, as well as compressed air for his extensive work shop. :notworthy:
:D

PostPosted: Jul 4th, '18, 08:06 
A posting God
A posting God

Good afternoon.
I've been seeing our Catfish in the Koi pond a lot recently. I assume it is because I've figured out that our Koi don't like floating fish feed.So I bought them some sinking food, wow what a difference.
This morning while feeding the Koi I saw them sitting below the inflow to the little pond. Since I haven't done water tests, :oops: I'm not entirely sure what they where after and thought maybe it's the fact that I pulled apart the air delivery system back when I started rebuilding the RFF. I hoped as that pond is out in the wind it had plenty of surface agitation for air exchange. One other issue that came from shutting down their air is the air diffuser in the media filter was also shut down.
First thing first I needed a tee for the existing air line to add the outdoor pond back in.
Attachment:
Briansteined-air-delivery-for-Koi-pond-7-3-18.jpg
Briansteined-air-delivery-for-Koi-pond-7-3-18.jpg [ 175.88 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

What a mess I know :oops:
Attachment:
Briansteined-air-delivery-for-Koi-pond-and-media-filter-7-3-18.jpg
Briansteined-air-delivery-for-Koi-pond-and-media-filter-7-3-18.jpg [ 208.79 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

The Koi pond seems to be doing well with Vallisneria which made it through the Winter. The Hornwart also came back too plus whatever type of plant that is floating. We get a lot of enjoyment from the Koi pond and it it feels like an oasis in this drought.
Attachment:
Briansteined-air-delivery-for-media-filter-7-3-18.jpg
Briansteined-air-delivery-for-media-filter-7-3-18.jpg [ 216.05 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

Attachment:
Covered-compost-pile-Drought-7-3-18.jpg
Covered-compost-pile-Drought-7-3-18.jpg [ 274.14 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

Attachment:
Air-lift-pump-solution-to-fill-Cone-Bottom-RFF-7-3-18.jpg
Air-lift-pump-solution-to-fill-Cone-Bottom-RFF-7-3-18.jpg [ 231.62 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

My buddy Weldon advised me to run the air-lift pump straight up and then turn the flow at a right angle toward the RFF as shown by the red line on the drawing. So my plan now is to run the SLO to the ceiling let the air out above the pond and anle the pipe down to the RFF.
Yay!!
B
Attachment:
Last-Guinea-hen-potato-patch-enduring-drought-7-3-18.jpg
Last-Guinea-hen-potato-patch-enduring-drought-7-3-18.jpg [ 251.49 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

Our last Guinea hen, we named her Lucy. She is doing great.

PostPosted: Jul 6th, '18, 22:16 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning
Aquaponics in earth-sheltered fish-greenhouse.
Attachment:
July6th18-Question-harvest-time-for-trout.jpg
July6th18-Question-harvest-time-for-trout.jpg [ 228 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

My wife and I are trying to decide what to do next with our fish-house.
We're ready for another sack of Skretting trout feed, which costs more to ship than the feed costs. This makes me wonder if getting the trout a little bigger is worth the cost. Last time and the first season of trout for us we kept them for two years and we now believe that was a mistake. This could be the perfect time to harvest if we can figure all the aspects of raising fish for food in our busy lives. On the other hand I could wing it and go with my usual spontaneous notions :think:
Attachment:
July6th18-AP-trout-pond-from-backyard.jpg
July6th18-AP-trout-pond-from-backyard.jpg [ 124.11 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

One of the issues that will influence our decision is we started way overstocked this time. I wasn't certain how many fish would survive the trip as fingerlings. Turns out we only lost a few, hopefully because of the fish transport tank I built especially for hauling the fish the hundred or so miles over the mountains. That fingerling hauler is anther factor in the decision to do shorter seasons; that fish hauler worked like a charm!
Overstocking caused issues of course. Maybe over-stocking wouldn't be so bad if we plan on shorter fish growing seasons? :think: Most of their lives they aren't plate size. I don't know about that, but we'll certainly not buy a hundred next time. 50 fingerlings would be better suited for the filtration we have.
Because of that overstocking I absolutely need to drain the tank and do a thorough cleaning and now might be as good a time as any.
Attachment:
July6th18-we-are-just-about-done-with-the-new-powder-room-this-toilet-room-can-go.jpg
July6th18-we-are-just-about-done-with-the-new-powder-room-this-toilet-room-can-go.jpg [ 149.31 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

The next issue is freezer space. Nell and I spent some time yesterday considering kitchen storage for when we do harvest the fish. We believe there are 75 plate size trout in the 2600 gallon indoor fish tank. We don't have a separate freezer.

It dawned on me that we built this water closet in the first section of mobile home we removed as we're building our house because there wasn't anywhere else to put it, so it is in the kitchen.
In case you aren't aware, this is a self-built home and after twenty years we're nearly finished with the interior after demolishing the mobile home and building a permanent structure in its place. In the latest section we now have a powder room with a second toilet.
Of course two bathrooms are great, but we still need to be frugal and practical. I poised the question of removing the first toilet room and getting that space back in our kitchen for a high end refrigerator/freezer?
Making decisions like these can make all the difference in creating a more sustainable lifestyle.
Attachment:
July6th-2018-First-rain-backyard-nice-and-wet.jpg
July6th-2018-First-rain-backyard-nice-and-wet.jpg [ 155.55 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

We hope the drought is over and the SW monsoons have begun!
Attachment:
July6th-2018-First-rain-Koi-pond-getting-attention-rockwork-if-health-holds.jpg
July6th-2018-First-rain-Koi-pond-getting-attention-rockwork-if-health-holds.jpg [ 160.92 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

Managing my labor is more important than ever as I'm recovering from an auto-immune disease and heading to 65 years old.
Things now need to be balanced between security, comfort, practicality, sustainability and of course pleasure.
Sincerely,
Brian Rodgers

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '18, 07:51 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Quick search broight up floating catfish food @ tractor supply. Dont know if they can special order anything?

Yesterday had a good rain. Tried doing the same thing today to see if it would repeat......

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Jul 7th, '18, 20:42 
A posting God
A posting God

Thanks Adam. Indeed TSC carries or can order feed. Also I've found fish feed on Ebay which is especially good for smaller quantities. I bought the sinking catfish food that our Koi and Catfish love so much. One seller even sells Shrettings, albeit at a premium price. I may do that for some trout feed to give us more time to decide what we want to do.
Is anyone smoking fish or drying fish?

PostPosted: Jul 8th, '18, 10:05 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Once you smoke 'em you wont eat them away other way

My Fish:

PostPosted: Jul 8th, '18, 20:58 
A posting God
A posting God

Smoker recommendations?

PostPosted: Jul 8th, '18, 22:03 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
boss wrote:
Smoker recommendations?

Winston Ultra Lights :D

PostPosted: Jul 8th, '18, 22:33 
A posting God
A posting God

Thanks gnoib.
:laughing3: Should I get something like this one then?
Attachment:
Blonde-smoker.jpg
Blonde-smoker.jpg [ 112.34 KiB | Viewed 441 times ]

PostPosted: Jul 9th, '18, 07:06 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

My Fish:

PostPosted: Jul 9th, '18, 12:43 
A posting God
A posting God

Shoot, I put a Bradley original smoker in my cart before going to town. It was $225! They were all sold when we got back.Oh well, I didn't know they sell for quite a bit more. Now I do. I think this is going to be a fun direction to take our diets.

PostPosted: Jul 10th, '18, 00:05 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

have you looked at Purina Aquamax 400 and 500 and how it compares to the Skrettings? From what I recall they seemed pretty close on paper. I imagine any kind of feed store would be able to get you Aquamax if they carry any other Purina feeds. My trout did well on it, and my Tilapia do well on it.... my catfish and bluegills seem to be doing well on it as well...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171  Next