All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2770 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 185  Next
PostPosted: Feb 21st, '15, 09:12 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: yes
Yeah, IF it's set low enough.lol In my case, I think it's about 3" too high. Waiting on more 3" uniseals to see if the new change works.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '15, 22:03 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
thanks for the advice on the stand pipe height. Does any one use skimmers?

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '15, 22:19 
A posting God
A posting God

Brian, good question. I know they work very well on garden ponds, but not sure how they would work in Aquaponics. In the ones we use, the skimmer vault is plumbed into the sidewall of the pond and the pump sits the vault. I guess could pump from the vault directly to grow beds and then have them collected and drain back to the vault.

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '15, 22:29 
A posting God
A posting God

I am counting on kiwis and other vines to provide shade over the FT, naturally leaves will fall in the water a float

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '15, 22:36 
A posting God
A posting God

With lots of leaves, the skimmer makes it very easy to keep the pond clean. A few leaves won't hurt anything, but lots can cause some issues.

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '15, 23:23 
A posting God
A posting God

Attachment:
earthen-group.jpg
earthen-group.jpg [ 20.21 KiB | Viewed 2233 times ]

So is this the pinnacle system at this time?

PostPosted: Feb 21st, '15, 23:25 
A posting God
A posting God

I guess I didn't realize the growbeds drained into the sump

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '15, 09:21 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Mostly
That looks like a chop2 design. I would rater like to see it leave the FT go through the filtration. Then the GBs. And finally into the ST to restart the process all over again. As for your other question. About the skimmer. I run a dual outflow on my FT. My upper "overflow" pipe skims the top of the water to then drains back into my ST through of all things pantyhose. Which I use as a cheap filter bag. It removes anything solid out of the flow down to. I believe I heard somewhere 100 microns.

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '15, 23:39 
A posting God
A posting God

Quote:
I run a dual outflow on my FT.
very good, now an idea is dawning, thank you

PostPosted: Feb 25th, '15, 03:24 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Mostly
Brian,

Sweedponics runs a dual out flow also

PostPosted: Feb 25th, '15, 21:26 
A posting God
A posting God

Since the first outflow is 2" I'm thinking I'll double it with another like you said with a panty hose for now into the sump. Possibly I'll install a 4" as a skimmer with some kind of leaf catcher. Just spitballing. Today I'll have my hands full building forms for the aquarium window and I'm more than a little apprehensive because I really don't have a plan I like for the concrete to wood interface. I've been toying with the idea of treated wood frame sunk in the cement, but how would I seal it? My original idea was make a form the same shape as the framed window which I'd pull out and replace with the window. There is so much riding on this because if it leaks I'm basically screwed because of the whole set in stone thing.

PostPosted: Feb 26th, '15, 03:23 

Are you human?: YES
Hi Brian,

Maybe epoxy and fiberglass over the wood frame like they do for a boat but it's pretty expensive. I'm just throwing out an idea here and have no details to offer on how to go about it :dontknow:

PostPosted: Feb 26th, '15, 03:30 
A posting God
A posting God

Pond Aquarium Window Construction
Today I’ll have my hands full building forms for the aquarium window and I’m more than a little apprehensive because I really don’t have a plan I like for the concrete to wood interface. I’ve been toying with the idea of treated wood frame sunk in the cement, but how would I seal it? My original idea was make a form the same shape as the framed window which I’d pull out and replace with the window. There is so much riding on this because if it leaks I’m basically screwed because of the whole set in stone thing.
Okay now I do have a plan

Pond-Aquarium-window-construction
I’m attempting to get a good solid wall of concrete on either side of the window frame. The way this is set up I should be able to pour the cement right around the window. The window frame will rest on the outside against the treated wood frame. The window will be cemented in to the treated wood with tub and tiles silicone adhesive. The inside will also be siliconed against the concrete. After the whole thing dries we’ll coat the whole thing with the same Hect rubber Koi pond sealant to isolate whatever fungicides are in the tube and tile adhesives

PostPosted: Feb 26th, '15, 23:51 
A posting God
A posting God

Pond Aquarium Window Construction
Good Morning
Today I’ll convert a page I’ve been working on for our aquaponics project into my newsletter. Yesterday on my day off, I finally drew up a plan for installing the pond window in the rock walls of the pond. I wasn’t sure I’d get to the point where I could make cement, as I figured I’d have my hands full building wooden forms for concrete. I was a little apprehensive because I really didn’t have a plan I liked for the concrete to wood interface. I’ve been toying with the idea of treated wood frame sunk in the cement, but how would I seal it? My original idea was make a form of wood the same shape as the framed window which I’d pull out and replace with the window. There is so much riding on this because, if it leaks I’m basically screwed because of the whole set in stone thing.

I went outside in the morning and split firewood to get warmed up. That was a really good thing as it snowed pretty good last night and now the blocked firewood which is under a tarp, is also under what looks like 6 to 8 inches of snow. Perfect timing, perfect weather. After wood splitting with a maul, I sat down with a pad and pencil and sketched up a few ideas.

Pond-Aquarium-window-construction

I’m attempting to get a good solid wall of concrete on either side of the window frame. The way this is set up I should be able to pour the cement right around the window. The window frame will rest on the outside against the treated wood frame. The window will be cemented in to the treated wood with tub and tiles silicone adhesive. The inside will also be siliconed against the concrete. After the cement dries and the rest of the rock work in finished, we’ll coat the whole thing with the same Hect rubber Koi pond sealant to isolate whatever fungicides are in the tube and tile adhesives

I got an first layer of cement installed late Wednesday afternoon. I Mixed by hand in the greenhouse in a wheelbarrow because of the snow and cold I couldn’t chance the hose outside freezing, so I used a bucket for the water.

Pond-Aquarium-window-installation

I hope this works. Obviously the big concern is, will it hold water. I’m limiting the pond side exposure to treated wood as the fish can not tolerate all the chemicals.

I have the concrete form base made for this pond side but won’t install it until the next section of cement in poured. I wanted to make certain I had the cement completely up under the window frame, before moving ahead.

Pond-Aquarium-window-installation-outside

Like a lot of aspects to this aquaponics project, I’ve harbored considerable anxiety prior to doing it. That anxiety is falling to the wayside as I’m fairly confident this is a good plan.

I'll post these pictures for the folks on the other side of the earth. Maybe it'll help cool off your aquaponics systems

Second-snow-this-week-February-26th-2015-Jetta

Second-snow-this-week-February-26th-2015-Ponderosa-pine

Second-snow-this-week-February-26th-2015-The-woods-Tusas

Second-snow-this-week-February-26th-2015-garden-shade-cloth

Second-snow-this-week-February-26th-2015-birds-fed-life-is-good

Second-snow-this-week-February-26th-2015-birds-fed-Junco
We’re thinking this is as good a day to stay home and be warm and cozy by the fire as any.

Ya all have a great day and enjoy the snow if you have it

Brian Rodgers

PostPosted: Feb 27th, '15, 04:38 
A posting God
A posting God

It's beautiful..makes me want strap on skis. I do miss winter sports, but not enough to have to shovel snow again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2770 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 185  Next