All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Aquaponic problems
PostPosted: Oct 8th, '15, 04:19 

Are you human?: yes
Hey guys, so a few problems here,
Set up new system i cycled for 2week prior to obtaining fish.
A 110ltr tank with 4 goldfish 1 whit cloud minnows, 3 albino barbed fish (i think, little bottom feeders) and 2 zebra snails. My fish seem happy and fine, been around 2/3 months now but my plants keep dying, i sowed seed directly including lettuce, peppers, spring onion, the sprouted fine and were doing really well went on holiday for 10 days and came back all wilted and died apart from the runner beans i believe which seem to be ok. Tested PH but cannot for the life of me reduce it from 7.6 (maximum my kit tests) tried Ph down as well as tetra's PH/KH Minus, which brings the water down to around 6.6 but then next day back up to max on scale, looking at the tank im not sure of its the gravel? If so what can i do? Obviously dont want to remove the fosh to remove the gravel etc. Any tips? Ill attach photos of the tank.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Aquaponic problems
PostPosted: Oct 8th, '15, 06:51 

Are you human?: YES
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you're having some problems. Your water sounds like it has a high buffering capacity. Eventually the pH will come down as the buffer gets used up by the nitrification process. The pH down products are usually a phosphate buffer of some type. Eventually you might get where you want but it's not good for the fish to have the pH bouncing around this much. Try to adjust no more than 0.4 pH points at a go. Try adjusting your top up instead of you system water. If it were me I'd probably adjust using HCl - but only do this if you're comfortable working with strong acids and take appropriate precautions (should be a lot cheaper than using pH down).

Hydrochloric acid (HCl)(aka muriatic acid) - Add to topup water - adjust this to 6.0 to 6.5 and let stand 24 hours before adding to system. Check the pH before adding and if it's gone back up adjust it again. This will lower the system pH gradually over time.

Everyones water is a bit different - It probably won't take very much HCl but I can't give you a specific amount.

Post subject: Re: Aquaponic problems
PostPosted: Oct 9th, '15, 02:41 

Are you human?: yes
Thank you scotty for your reply, my biggest worry is that the plants are not living very long after sprouting and this in turn provides no filter for the water and only polluting it more over time? Any tips on what to plant, how much etc. That can survive in the high PH?