All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 17th, '15, 00:55 

Are you human?: no
Hello everyone ! :wave1:

I am a student at the University of Twente in the Netherlands, I'm building an aquaponic system for a project class.
For the moment I can't provide you all the details since everything is not done but I would certainly update this thread in the next weeks.

It's a Constant Flood system with two 54L aquarium hooked up to two pumps, and equivalent sized grow bed with two 291GPH pumps getting water from the tanks.
Here's a 3d picture so you can see what it will look like (it's approximatively 1 meter 75 cm high) :

Just above the tanks, we will use electronics sensors (Arduino / Raspberry Pi with ph sensor, amonia sensor and water and air temperature temperature sensors) to get informations in order to build an App for smarthpone to monitor the system remotely.

Over the electronics part there will be a Grow bed (I was thinking of netted pots filled with clay rocks, with the roots in water from the fish tank) with a 180W Full spectrum growing lamp.

My question for the moment is how to make the system to get the water back in tanks ? I was planning on making a bell syphon pipe but how to know on wich "timer" it should be build ?
Appart from that, any suggestions is very welcome !

Thanks everyone for this websites and all the informations we could find on there, it's a goldmine !
I will definitely post some updates in here, so if you have any questions about the system I will be glad to answer you in details, give back to the community !

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 19th, '15, 18:17 

Are you human?: no
I'm a bit sad not to have any answers but that's ok, I will go on with the updates !

The wooden frame is almost done, we are now figuring out all kind of electronics problem : apart from the sensors I listed in my first post, we want to regulate the lights, fans and a food dispenser. More details on that during the week !

Right now I have to make the grow bed, which will probably be a plastic container with the netted pots filled with Clay Rocks "floating" hover it.
We will then need to calculate how much time it take to fill up the grow bed, and which size of hole I have to drill in the grow bed to get the perfect flow.
I hope that after that some measurement will give us the right flow rate for the water to be "cleaned" by the plants before going back to the fish tanks !

Here's a new picture attached to my post (by the way I would like to edit my first post because that picture is way too big, is that possible ?)

Attachments:
growbro.jpg
growbro.jpg [ 89.62 KiB | Viewed 1244 times ]
PostPosted: Jan 19th, '15, 18:30 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Hiya Madcato, due to the amount of blow ins on the forum I don't answer 1st posts...

So welcome to the forum :wave1:
I can't help you with the electronic stuff, I'm a fan of keeping it simple, however instead of net pots you could use a media bed for your planting. Using a standard standpipe configuration for the water return would be your best bet Imo.