All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: The Fish Farm - JoC
PostPosted: Dec 24th, '15, 21:49 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
holy crapoly 96kmph gusts! Damn man. That'll wake you up. I know we had a 90mph ((145kmph) sustained wind speed and I heard my wind turbine runaway, sounded like a B52 bomber all the way over here in the house. It would not shut down it was blowing so hard. When I finally got it shut down it never spun again. Furling didn't work, dammit. Same deal; wearing pajamas when a hard hat would probably done nothing if a blade came off at the speed. Happy holidays to you and the family

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 26th, '15, 09:02 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Most of the time
Hey there Brian, yes a friend of ours on a hill have had nothing but trouble with their wind turbine, it can't cope with the really strong winds which break it' internals.

Defrosting the last 4 trout for dinner tonight - brothers & partners and nephew arriving from Adelaide and Canberra today. After another stinking hot day of 36C we finally have some gentle rain and only 14C at 11am. Such a relief, but not much solace to the folks down on the Great Ocean Road who had to abandon their Christmas lunches to flee bushfires and spent the night in evacuation centres - at least 50 homes lost. And we spare a thought for our USA friends who faced mid-winter (WTF?!!) tornadoes that took lives and homes.

PostPosted: Dec 26th, '15, 22:48 
A posting God
A posting God

joc wrote:
Hey there Brian, yes a friend of ours on a hill have had nothing but trouble with their wind turbine, it can't cope with the really strong winds which break it' internals.

Defrosting the last 4 trout for dinner tonight - brothers & partners and nephew arriving from Adelaide and Canberra today. After another stinking hot day of 36C we finally have some gentle rain and only 14C at 11am. Such a relief, but not much solace to the folks down on the Great Ocean Road who had to abandon their Christmas lunches to flee bushfires and spent the night in evacuation centres - at least 50 homes lost. And we spare a thought for our USA friends who faced mid-winter (WTF?!!) tornadoes that took lives and homes.
Yikes, yes Global Warming will not be denied much longer. This is the second time our wind turbine melted the guts because it didn't furl. The guys from Other Power where we went to a wind power seminar don't live far from here. Perhaps it is time I brought it up to their shop for a tune up.
Bummer about the fires, no way to spend holidays.

PostPosted: Jan 17th, '16, 05:02 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
joc wrote:
Towers - the good news and the bad news

Now for the bad news...
The gunk in the tower header pipe is beginning to block the 13 mm outlets to the towers :upset: . So now everyday, as well as checking for stray leaks out corners of the planter holes, I have to stick my finger in each tower to make sure the netting is wet. If blocked, I climb up and stick my finger in the access hole above each outlet and give it a swirl, then turn the outlet tap on full to flush the dislodged gunk, then adjust it back to a reasonable flow.

Try adding worms or switch media https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOyDE0iAyo4

PostPosted: Feb 6th, '16, 07:24 

Are you human?: are any of us?
Wow great system,

and amazing chook condo!!

do you have any more recent photos of your system?

PostPosted: May 27th, '16, 21:26 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Most of the time
A quick update...

We have been very busy at our new property - can't believe that we have been there for 6 months now (well, my partner has, but I am still living between two places...).

I haven't restocked with trout this season as the system will have to be dismantled and moved in the next few months. I still have plans for the pit in the old herrigbone cowshed at the new property, but its down the list of priorities at the moment. The main growbed is full of watercress - it must have seeded from the 1/2 barrel growbed last season. Celery and spring onions are reshooting and I have some self seeded lettuce popping up. The towers are looking sad, but still have chives, lots of chives.

In January, my employer told me that my position was to be made redundant. I finished up at work four weeks ago. The timing was unfortunate, but I decided to bring forward my plans to develop my arts business by a couple of years and have been flat out with that and loving it. I have a few months grace before it needs to start paying its way. Lots of photos of the transformation of our new property and my art practice on my FB page (link below).

That's about it for now. I pop in occasionally to see what folks are up to in the BYAP world. I will post again when we move the system or set up a new one.

:flower:
Jo

PostPosted: May 27th, '16, 21:46 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
:wave1:
Thanks for the update Jo, glad the new place is coming along.

PostPosted: May 27th, '16, 21:56 
A posting God
A posting God

I love your FB page Artist, Maker, Grower. Absolutely awesome!!!

PostPosted: Oct 17th, '17, 22:14 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

found my way here from another thread that mentioned your thread. I hope all is well and hopefully plans are still in place for the AP at the new place even though it's been over a year now.

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '17, 11:13 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
Hey Joc
I found your thread by recommendation from other members as I’m entertaining the idea of constructing some vertical grow pipes in my system. I must say that your growpipes look awesome and the idea on how to make them is quite impressive!,
I was wondering if you had any close up pictures of the pipes to show us how the roots of the plants mesh with the netting once they are established?
I’m a Air Con tech and I assume the hay filters you mentioned are similar to the filter pads on an evaporative cooler.
Do you just place the netting only near the holes or do you fill the whole tube?
Got a kick checking out your builds....very neat mate!

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '17, 12:51 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
Not sure if you will get any answers, Jo was last seen on this forum: May 28th, '16, 00:28... I hope everything is ok there.

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '17, 22:25 
A posting God
A posting God

They moved out to the sticks didn't they?

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '17, 22:46 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

just checking Jo's facebook she appears very active posting every day or two on there, but had to scroll back a long way to find anything related to growing anything and it was asparagus in the dirt... mentioned a shade house but I gave up scrolling back because it's mostly just her metal artwork shes posting about the past few months (I've seen the progress of her cool fighting roos in reverse order though which kind of spoils it seeing the current product before seeing all the work she went through to create them)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16