All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 48  Next
PostPosted: Dec 26th, '16, 22:19 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
@ Food&Fish Thanks. It has been a fun journey I am still learning lots along the way.

My boys covered up the trenches for me. The power wiring is done to the greenhouse I now need to run it into the greenhouse. It is much closer to being completely done.

Attachment:
1482625901183.jpg
1482625901183.jpg [ 90.98 KiB | Viewed 2189 times ]

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 28th, '16, 23:29 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Finally enough lettuce for lunch.
Attachment:
SL.JPG
SL.JPG [ 53.8 KiB | Viewed 2149 times ]

I now have natural gas to my tankless water heater in my greenhouse. My circulation pump does not put enough pressure to turn on my tankless heater. The small Greenhouse tankless heater requires 40 psi static and 20 psi running. This same pump turns on my tankless in my house with no issues at all.
The new small tankless heaters will turn on with low pressure but not the one I bought last year.

I have a DC pump I was able to test with it and in 10 min I can raise the fish tank 1.5 degrees this is with the tankless set on its lowest natural gas flow. So I was pleased with this.
I did some research and two other people that made this setup work used Grundfos 3 speed circulator pump with an air separator.
So I have the pump flanges and air separator with reducers from ¾ NTP to PEX on order.

This pump has a 3 year warranty so that is good.
Attachment:
GfPump.jpg
GfPump.jpg [ 20.92 KiB | Viewed 2149 times ]

Attachment:
As.jpg
As.jpg [ 7.69 KiB | Viewed 2149 times ]

One of the other people that used this setup use two controllers just in case one failed it would not boil the fish I might do that later.

During the test the SS coil in the FT was doing a great job exchanging heat in this closed loop setup.
I was not sure the water would come back to the heater to warm but so far it looks fine.

PostPosted: Dec 30th, '16, 11:55 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Attachment:
20161229_211714.jpg
20161229_211714.jpg [ 28.59 KiB | Viewed 2107 times ]

My new pump and air separator came in and are installed. The new pump had a switch that changes the speed but it was broken I was able to test it out at low speed. It was working well I was able to heat up the fish water to 71F. I do think I will run the pump on med speed that way I can run the water through the heater a full speed.

But even at low speed the heater was sending 45C, 113F water through the loop. This is with the natural gas setting on the lowest setting.
I will be setting up my controller this weekend.

PostPosted: Dec 30th, '16, 12:11 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
That's pretty neat

PostPosted: Dec 31st, '16, 23:06 
Legend Member
Legend Member

My stainless steel heat exchanger developed a small leak. This heat exchanger only lasted a little over a year this is to short time for the cost.

I decided to go a different way. I saw a couple heat exchanger made out of Pex and they had been using them over five years. I decided to make similar one out of 100’ Pex.

Attachment:
20161230_190335.jpg
20161230_190335.jpg [ 58.91 KiB | Viewed 2055 times ]

Attachment:
20161230_190359.jpg
20161230_190359.jpg [ 54.52 KiB | Viewed 2055 times ]

I need to mount the temp controller in something. Right now I have the circulator pump plugged into a timer on 15 minutes off 15 minutes then the temp controller is set to 72 degrees with a 1 degree swing. This small tankless heater has a 20 minute safety shut off. The timer keeps it running by resting it every 15min.

It was 28F last night the fish water stayed between 71-72F all night. The fish were very active today.

PostPosted: Jan 1st, '17, 01:51 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I have my web monitoring setup. It will monitor up to six zones plus power outage and it has a small battery backup. I have two float sensors I want to add to it one for pump flow and one for sump tank needing refilled.

This web600 has a built in web server and you can log any zone for any period time. You can setup up alarms that will text me and email me it has tons of options. It was designed for monitoring data centers cold storage. It has very easy setup.

Here is a screen shot of the web view.
Attachment:
MG.JPG
MG.JPG [ 51.03 KiB | Viewed 2219 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '17, 11:54 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I finished the tankless closed loop heater controller box.
Attachment:
20170101_192134.jpg
20170101_192134.jpg [ 61.46 KiB | Viewed 2181 times ]

It is very similar to this build.

We picked two heads of lettuce and my wife made taco salad. So good...
Attachment:
20161231_123642.jpg
20161231_123642.jpg [ 57.16 KiB | Viewed 2181 times ]

Attachment:
20161231_134328.jpg
20161231_134328.jpg [ 65.03 KiB | Viewed 2181 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '17, 22:53 
A posting God
A posting God

Wow Mark, you are consistently working toward you goals. Congratulations on your successes. It's always a pleasure to read your posts. Thank you and happy 2017

PostPosted: Jan 4th, '17, 22:21 
Legend Member
Legend Member

@boss Thanks, it is taking a long time but it is getting closer to my plan.

My natural gas tankless closed loop heater is doing a good job. I get the replacement pump today. I will test to see if med speed is a little better. I think a little faster flow and heat the water a little faster will work better. Even if I end leaving it the way it is now will be fine.
Next up is getting the power into the greenhouse. I am just going to run conduit under the foundation.

I am going to install my 1,000 watt stainless steel heater and put it to work. I do not think I make enough extra solar power to just run the electric fish tank heater alone. But I am going to install it and experiment with running both at the same time.

My theory is to have it pick up some of the heating load to keep the NG usage down and use some of the extra solar power I have banked but not too much that I will run out of it to heat my house with.

At this point I know I can keep the fish alive all winter and eating good. So now I am going to see how much more efficient I can make it.

I have special ordered some fish food Purina AquaMax Dense 4000 from my local feed store The last fish food I bought from tractor supply was not fresh and when I talked to them they said they were no longer carrying that food.
Attachment:
FF.JPG
FF.JPG [ 84.24 KiB | Viewed 2093 times ]

I am adding two float sensors in my sump tank one will be maybe 12" off the bottom to let me know there is a very bad leak and needs attention right away. ( I hope to not use this one but it could save my pump )

The other will be about 12" above ½ a tank. This will let me know that I need to add water to the sump.

I only add water every couple weeks but I check it often. I want my monitoring system to watch it for me and to text me when it is time to add water.

I want to post the fish tank temps overnight. This shows the new FT heater performance.
Attachment:
FTtemp.JPG
FTtemp.JPG [ 83.5 KiB | Viewed 2093 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '17, 02:09 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
nice job mark. I'm hopefully not far behind you with the sensor / datalogger that I'm building using arduino. I have a couple things giving me troubles that I need to work out but haven't had time to mess with it.

The fish food I've been using is the Aquamax 400 for my fingerlings and now I also have Aquamax 500 that I've bumped my trout up to. I need to get a bag of the Aquamax 4000 too but will wait a bit because I won't use it until my tilapia are full grown and moving in to breeding stages instead of growing stages. The only place I've found to get the Aquamax locally is my local co-op. They stock a couple different kinds of fish food, the Aquamax 500 is something they keep on the shelf, the other Aquamax products are special orders (they just happened to have a bag of the Aquamax 400 someone had special ordered then not picked up so I was able to get it). I wish they sold them in a little smaller bags, but I take the 50 lb bags and repackage them and use my foodsaver to vacuum seal most of the food to hopefully make it last longer because it will take a long time to use 50lbs of fish food I think... especially since I do plan on having 3 or 4 different size pellets depending on my fish sizes.

Did you happen to run water out to the greenhouse when you had the trencher? That is another one of my goals... I hand dug about 100 ft run for my power (but didn't go very deep for electric...) but I will need to rent a trencher to eventually run water out to the greenhouse and will probably add a spicket by the garden when I do it too that way I don't have to have hoses laying around anymore... having to move hoses and extension cords all summer to mow was no fun.

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '17, 02:12 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
How is your heat exchanger hooked up? I can't recall is that what the water heater is running through or is that somehow running for solar heat? Seems like it was up and running for a while now can't remember how you had that set up...

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '17, 02:36 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Arduino is a good way to go but I am on computers all the time and I wanted something I just hooked up and it just works not another project. I write software so I would endlessly tweak the Arduino software and cost myself way more in lost hours than I paid for my plug and play setup.

I did not run water out to the greenhouse I have been collecting rain water for the greenhouse I can store 990 gallons of rain water. I have only used rain water in my system no city water at all. I do have hot and cold water out in front of my barn that is not too very far from the greenhouse.

I have the same issue as you do with the fish food. I plan on packing it and storing it in a freezer.
Some of my fish could use the 400 but I don't want another 50lbs bag stored here.

I researched it what I read it would stay fresh for a very long time in the freeze.

I do have a heat exchanger top of the greenhouse that works pretty cheaply. It was really getting to hot in the greenhouse using it I want to vent more in the winter. We have had days of cloudy weather so I can’t keep the fish water as warm as I want. Later I and just tee of the current system to run the water back up to it.

I just ordered a contactor to run my Stainless steel 1,000 watt heater. I hope I get it Saturday so I can use some solar power to heat the water with. The heater is 240v and my controller only would switch one leg so I will use that to control a contactor and let contactor energize my heater.

I received my new replacement pump yesterday and installed it. I am running it on the medium speed. This allows me to run the water faster and heat the water a little more. It is going to get real cold over the weekend so I will get test it out good.
I mounted the controller and web monitoring box I need to tidy up the wires.

Attachment:
20170104_181545.jpg
20170104_181545.jpg [ 40.37 KiB | Viewed 2016 times ]

Last edited by markb on Jan 6th, '17, 03:49, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '17, 03:08 
A posting God
A posting God

Gotta love contactors. System is looking awesome man. No doubt the following will be a moot point since you already bought fish food and are talking about how to store it already. This being said, what is the protein content of those fish foods? I assume your fish are doing well on this. I've always bought the Sketterings pellets because it has a higher protein content http://www.skretting.com/en-US/species/rainbow-trout/ even with shipping I believe it was a comparable price considering the higher protein content.

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '17, 03:14 
Legend Member
Legend Member

This is the label for the AquaMax Dense 4000 it was design just for tilapia living in a closed environment. I pick up my food tomorrow. I was only buying 25 pounds before so 50 pounds is a lot of food. It will be $31 for 50 pounds

Here is so information I saw on it.
https://lakewaytilapia.com/Tilapia-Feeding-Guide.php

Attachment:
Food.JPG
Food.JPG [ 51.3 KiB | Viewed 1975 times ]

This is AquaMax Grower 400 for the smaller tilapia
Attachment:
AquanaxGrower400.JPG
AquanaxGrower400.JPG [ 53.3 KiB | Viewed 1953 times ]

AquaMax Fish food
Attachment:
AM.JPG
AM.JPG [ 66.65 KiB | Viewed 1953 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '17, 06:02 
A posting God
A posting God

I forgot about the Tilapia and Sketterings doesn't have that so yeah sorry for adding noise to you sound thinking

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 48  Next