Alkaline- near none

So pond salt is needed for sure.

Any comments on water condition desired :D

My system

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Nauti's System
PostPosted: Jun 14th, '15, 11:52 

Are you human?: At the moment
Just finished this tonight. 2 more cuts and 8 more screws and I will call this complete.

Inlet piping from RFF tomorrow and maybe, just maybe some siphon and overflow piping from GB tomorrow too.

I have to finish/start on HONEY.DO list tomorrow also :roll:
Attachment:
File comment: BG complete, kinda
20150613_213314.jpg
20150613_213314.jpg [ 172.99 KiB | Viewed 2588 times ]

My system

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '15, 12:59 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
I'm loving the frame work on your grow bed! Very clean! :thumbright: as for your choice in media, it looks good to me. Just out of my price range.... :(

My build http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25201

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '15, 09:07 

thsdragoon wrote:
I'm loving the frame work on your grow bed! Very clean! :thumbright: as for your choice in media, it looks good to me. Just out of my price range.... :(

Thanks about the build. It is always easier to do it right the first time. My wife called it a monstrosity, I called it SOLID!!

recalculating how much I would need and shipping, It ends up being out of my price range too.

I did however go to Lowes and grab a handful of the pea gravel from the self ( a assume there was a broken bag somewhere that it came from). I also grabbed some Black Lava rocks. I brought back home and did a vinegar tesT. BOth Passed with no fizz! SO that becomes my first option. I still need to call to landscaping companies to see what they carry.

My system

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '15, 09:53 

Excited about Build I made me a U siphon and tested out a GB.
Attachment:
File comment: 1 BG with U siphon
20150614_180553.jpg
20150614_180553.jpg [ 68.24 KiB | Viewed 2553 times ]

Ok that worked so lets do 2 G's with 1 siphon. (thanks in part to MambaJack) I didn't have a T so I used this 90 Elbow instead. I like the way it looks better than I would a T. Don't know or care if it affects water flow rate right now.
Attachment:
File comment: 2 GB u siphon
20150614_191056.jpg
20150614_191056.jpg [ 63.16 KiB | Viewed 2553 times ]

GB get bent out of shape like my wife every time tell her about my las vegas trip :evil:
Attachment:
File comment: Out of shape GB
20150615_072314.jpg
20150615_072314.jpg [ 59.13 KiB | Viewed 2553 times ]

A trip to lowes for some 2"T's 2" pipe and 2" caps. ROund it out with some stainless steel screws and we are back looking good.
Attachment:
File comment: Gb back in shape
20150616_164726.jpg
20150616_164726.jpg [ 62.66 KiB | Viewed 2553 times ]

My U siphon can be used 2 ways. I call one the short way and the other the tall way.

Short way leaves me with about 8 mm from top of GB to water line before the siphon fully kicks in.
Attachment:
File comment: Short u siphon
20150616_165438.jpg
20150616_165438.jpg [ 126.44 KiB | Viewed 2553 times ]

Tall way leaves me with about 3 MM from top of GB to water line before siphon fully kicks in.
Attachment:
File comment: Tall u siphon
20150616_210234.jpg
20150616_210234.jpg [ 54.42 KiB | Viewed 2553 times ]

It has been running unassisted for 2 days now. I timed the fill and empty rate, knowing that it will be ~60% but that was when the GB's were out of shape. I know that I will tweak it once media is in GB's.

I plan on having grow media level with top of GB But I am not sure what water level will be ideal. Suggestions?

My system

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '15, 21:58 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
I can tell yu with confidence that yu will nt be happy with the U-siphn and n gravel guards. I went the same rute ignring members and trying nt t cut int my barrels....utilizing the existing hles. The rts, pp, decmpsed matter will clg it all up and at different phases. Then yu can nt get t it when the plants are in full mde.

Add 1 or 2 O's when needed and thank me later. You can maybe squeeze by the first year but you will know it has tooo be doooone.

PostPosted: Jun 18th, '15, 02:25 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

nautiboi wrote:

It has been running unassisted for 2 days now. I timed the fill and empty rate, knowing that it will be ~60% but that was when the GB's were out of shape. I know that I will tweak it once media is in GB's.

I plan on having grow media level with top of GB But I am not sure what water level will be ideal. Suggestions?

I've heard that running the water level about an inch below the surface of your grow media is the best way to go, as it will allow the plants to get enough water access, but also keep the water in the GB from growing algae.

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '15, 10:58 

RairdogAP wrote:
I can tell yu with confidence that yu will nt be happy with the U-siphn and n gravel guards. I went the same rute ignring members and trying nt t cut int my barrels....utilizing the existing hles. The rts, pp, decmpsed matter will clg it all up and at different phases. Then yu can nt get t it when the plants are in full mde.

Add 1 or 2 O's when needed and thank me later. You can maybe squeeze by the first year but you will know it has tooo be doooone.

RD I will remember this post the moment that I have to redo this and cut holes in it :D

I am jsut excited now that it is really working :cheers:

My system

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '15, 11:00 

thsdragoon wrote:
nautiboi wrote:

I've heard that running the water level about an inch below the surface of your grow media is the best way to go, as it will allow the plants to get enough water access, but also keep the water in the GB from growing algae.

that what I was reading too, just wanted to get some feedback on it. I guess it will really be a factor once I get some media in the beds.

I think that I am going to go with lava rocks on bottom and find another sized media on top for the pants.

My system

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '15, 12:07 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
You can start off with water 1 inch below. Then the media settles and the water is on top. It's nice to have a GG and various sized standpipes. I start season with 1 inch below media. As humidity picks up I lower to 2 inches below media. Otherwise it stays wet. Then the algae and fungus gnats get out of control. I also have ones for flooding the beds to drown the fungus gnats.

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '15, 11:47 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

RairdogAP wrote:
You can start off with water 1 inch below. Then the media settles and the water is on top. It's nice to have a GG and various sized standpipes. I start season with 1 inch below media. As humidity picks up I lower to 2 inches below media. Otherwise it stays wet. Then the algae and fungus gnats get out of control. I also have ones for flooding the beds to drown the fungus gnats.

Thats a good point, I'll see if I can do some pre-settling to my media when I get it into my system tomorrow.

nautiboi wrote:
I think that I am going to go with lava rocks on bottom and find another sized media on top for the pants.

I like that plan, I was actually thinking of doing the same with my system, then I canned that idea out of pure lazyness :D but all in all, I think that this would be a great thing to do! My only suggestion for this idea would be to get some kind of barrier between the two media types, but only if you're planning on using pea gravel as your second media.

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '15, 19:12 

RairdogAP wrote:

Thanks for info.
I have been able to adjust the water level with various adjustments to external siphon. I am thinking about running 1 siphon per GB but will wait until I hae media in and check for "real" fill and flood times.

My system

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '15, 19:18 

thsdragoon wrote:
I like that plan, I was actually thinking of doing the same with my system, then I canned that idea out of pure lazyness :D but all in all, I think that this would be a great thing to do! My only suggestion for this idea would be to get some kind of barrier between the two media types, but only if you're planning on using pea gravel as your second media.

I thought about that too, but then assumed that the roots would just brake any barrier that wouldn't interfere with water flow. Im not going to use the pea gravel as the one at lowes is price effective but too small in size. I thought about your route of using all lava rocks but then it seems to large. I remember reading somewhere that 20mm was the ideal size for top media. I am sure that smaller and larger both will still work but that size is the sweet spot.

My system

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '15, 22:49 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

:thumbright:

PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '15, 11:02 

I just picked up 2 bags of lava rocks today and had to wash them like 3 times and now have them soaking. I took out all the floaters and have the in a separate place soaking and being agitated to help them sink. I plan on placing them in the GB by size with larger on on bottom and smaller one filling gaps on top. I expect some settling with this method but hope that it will reduce the likelihood of blockage.

I still think that I am going to use a heavier top dressing to help with stability of plants due to wind and rain. So I also picked up some Calico stones too. I tested both on Sunday with vinegar and both passed. I will attempt to wash them and add them after the lava rocks soak. I will try to place them by size and discard any that seem too small to use.

I'm still thinking about what I am going to use as a guard for my makeshift stand pipe. :think:
I will be picking up some pond salt tomorrow and look to add some fish and plants by this time next week. :D

My system