All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: New second system
PostPosted: Jul 14th, '16, 19:49 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
so heres a thought... from what I recall you are not able to keep the system running through winter due to it not staying warm enough right? So what about jumping up to an IBC fish tank now and just setting it outside the greenhouse and making it so you can quickly disconnect/reconnect it if you want to shut that tank down early spring/late fall if it starts causing your system temp to drop too quickly.

That would give you the critical increase in room for fish (and stability) now. And you could also at that point convert your lower barrel fish tanks in to lower light grow beds to grow low light plants (I think your mint family is a low light plant seems how my wife can keep them alive and growing sitting in the house by the kitchen sink with near no direct light). This would allow you to almost double your grow beds as well (although you might need to keep one of the lower tanks as a sump to be able to be the lowest point to drain those lower grow beds in to to be pumped back to the top of the system).

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 14th, '16, 20:23 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: I'm an EMT
Rininger, I like that idea of adding in an IBC tote now rather than later, but there are a few problems I'd be running into with adding more to this system; 1) it was a PITA convincing my parents to even let me build the greenhouse in their garden this year (it took me all year last year and it was only because I kept nagging that they finally gave in), 2) where the greenhouse is located, there is an old clothes line stand right behind the greenhouse where my dad has set up green beans to grow, and a whole bunch of strawberry pots too, 3) there is no chance that my parents would let me add any more to this system, 4) there is no chance that my wife would let me add onto this system more than it already is, and 5) I'd rather leave this one as is until I've got my own house (not renting) before I buy any more AP related building materials. So again, I appreciate the idea and input, but it's not really feasible at the moment...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My build http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25201

PostPosted: Jul 14th, '16, 20:23 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

And yes you are correct about the system and winter, it's rather difficult to grow plants when they are encased in ice ;)

PostPosted: Jul 15th, '16, 00:58 
Legend Member
Legend Member

thsdragoon wrote:
And yes you are correct about the system and winter, it's rather difficult to grow plants when they are encased in ice ;)

I'm hoping not to have that issue of freezing =), but I'm doing a custom greenhouse build with that goal in mind so it makes a big difference being able to insulate the greenhouse that way... I don't think the people who sell greenhouse kits think people in northern climates grow things because it seems like all of the greenhouse kits are all completely glass... that means they aren't going to be able to run through the winter (without paying big bucks to heat them) since they aren't insulated at all... I've been following markb's build along with a ton of additional reading to try and ensure that I'll be able to run my greenhouse year round, but only time will tell for sure... I think my winter temps are probably colder than his seems how I'm quite a bit further north.

Of course I could just be crazy... but I am hopeful that what others have shown to work in slightly less frigid conditions can be tweaked to work in my cold climate...

PostPosted: Jul 15th, '16, 01:03 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Yeah, Mark has an awesome build! It's one that I'm thinking of doing in the future when I've got no plans of moving ever again.

PostPosted: Aug 20th, '16, 06:47 
Legend Member
Legend Member

hey dragoon hows things going? Been a while since the last update =)

PostPosted: Aug 20th, '16, 06:53 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

rininger85 wrote:
hey dragoon hows things going? Been a while since the last update =)

Yeah, sorry about that. Life has decided to..... Throw a few curve balls at me shall we say. So the system has taken a back seat priority. And especially now that I only have one fish, with all the plants having pretty much amounted to scrubby little things (my fault for not adding stuff like bone dust, sea-sol, and other stuff). It has also been shut down to only having one gb actually active. And that's the one with my crazy mint patch (that barrel is pretty much dedicated to mint from this season on, *thanks dad.....*). But I guess the two bits of good news regarding the system is I still somehow miraculously have one fish still alive that somehow survived the Ich, and my terrible care, and the system is totally plumbed up and ready for next years second attempt at this gardening method!

PostPosted: Aug 20th, '16, 07:17 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Sorry to hear that... don't let ich get you down... my biggest suggestion for ich is to shop around and see what fish stores you have in the area to buy from... if you look at their systems and you see dirty tanks or multiple tanks with dead fish in them go someplace else... most stores have all of their tanks plumbed to a single sump, so if there is something wrong in one tank it's in all of their tanks. I use the cleanliness of their tanks as a good indicator of how well their tanks are cared for, while it's not a guarantee, it has served me well with not ending up spending a lot of money on fish that end up dying... fish will build up a tolerance to ich if they stay healthy enough. One thing you could try is to dig up some live worms (or buy them at the LFS if they sell blackworms... you could buy some frozen worms or frozen mysis or brine shrimp too, but the live foods are much healthier so will help especially with new fish that might be weak and stressed out from moving.)

PostPosted: Aug 20th, '16, 22:55 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Thanks for he good info, I'll keep it in mind for next year when I get more fish! :)

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '17, 10:24 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Good morning everyone (afternoon or evening)! It has been a long 6 months since my last update. In those 6 months, we have gotten gobs of snow and ice here in Utah (as is expected with winter). The good news: my one goldfish from last year somehow the ich infestation that devastated my other fish, it survived being frozen nearly all winter with no food (often times in maybe 4 inches of water to swim in, and I honestly thought it was dead that's why I never fed it), my greenhouse held up relatively well with the exception of one of my roof panels being blown off in a heavy wind storm and needs to be replaced (I'm planning on affixing all the panels panels with roofing screws), and the weeds from last year are still in need of removal.

This year I intend on actually growing good, large, tasty produce, and keeping my fish alive. With that being said, I plan on using seasol and other fish friendly plant food (bone meal is one that comes to mind). I also plan on trying to keep my fish more stress free by placing things in the water for them to swim around in and hide in (as this system is not oriented towards eating the fish). Perhaps I might even invest in a few Koi for the system. Then for the greenhouse, this is the year I invest in a solar system so I can hook up the pump off grid, and have the option for a small space heater for the winter time.

Hopefully with these plans in place, I'll be able to grow a successful system to convince my parents to let me build them a system on their property they got this past winter.

Happy 2017 everyone!

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '17, 19:17 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Welcome back dragoon. Best of luck to you getting the system up and running again this spring. I'm in full speed ahead mode trying to get my greenhouse finished in the next few weeks so I can get seeds started. I managed to keep a few leafy veggies going through the winter and my 26 trout are still growing good so I just need to get my growbeds ready... my liner gets delivered today so hopefully this weekend I'll have growbeds lined and ready for plumbing.

You mentioned hoping that you'll have a successful system this year, but I think you already had a successful system, just need better luck in the fish department... maybe convince the 'rents to let you put that IBC fish tank upgrade in place outside the greenhouse so it will be a bigger, less stressful tank for them.

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '17, 06:35 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

So I'm looking on Home Depot's website trying to find some good liquid fertilizer, as well as bone meal (which I found), but I'm not sure what to look for in the liquid stuff. I know that seasol has some of the stuff plants need without being too harsh on fish (according to Seasol's website, that stuff isn't defined as fertilizer). So is there a good alternative that people have tried that seems to work, or do I just go for the stuff with the lowest numbers pertaining to nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium I can possibly find?

Last edited by thsdragoon on Feb 9th, '17, 07:13, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '17, 06:36 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Also thanks rininger for the happy thoughts! I have the bad habit of looking at my endeavors pretty negatively....

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '17, 09:14 

The normal Seasol is mostly about growth promoters and minerals, not really a fertilizer. There are versions of it designed to be a fertilizer though. I haven't checked recently but I don't think Seasol is available in the US. The equivalent that most people use is Maxicrop or Maxicrop plus Iron (this is regular iron not chelated but can be spray applied if needed). Potassium is around 2% in Maxicrop. I don't remember the nitrogen and phosphorous content but I think they are close to zero. You may notice a warning label on the bottle, there's an explanation about that in a thread here you may want to take a look for that thread.

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '17, 09:40 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Thanks for the info Scotty. I think I actually found the thread earlier that you're referring to.

I'll have to see if I can pick some Maxicrop up next week when the paycheck comes in. And that brings up another question that I haven't considered; is it possible to measure the potassium/nitrogen/and other nutrients (aside from ammonia/nitrites/nitrates/ph)? And if so, can I find that stuff in kit form?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next