All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49  Next
PostPosted: Jan 10th, '16, 14:26 

Are you human?: YES
Well once you've built it you'll want a bigger one anyway :)

I'm not sure about the barrel info but it sounds like you should be OK based on what you've found. I've heard something like that about the thermal mass as well. Maybe you can plan in an expansion if you want it later :dontknow: .

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 10th, '16, 22:03 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Lol, it's good to know that this is no different than any of my other expensive hobbies... No matter how big you start you always want to go bigger... Lol... I will keep that in mind so I can build it in the yard where there is room to extend east or west (so I don't have to go both directions...)

PostPosted: Jan 11th, '16, 13:22 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
The new design is looking good.
On the top front roof you will not want to use glass because it will heat up the greenhouse to fast. You want to use something that defuses or scatters the light. The front windows your patio doors will work perfect there. The second door will make it hard to put a tank in front of it.
I know about trying to figure out how big to make it. It is really very hard.

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '16, 02:15 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Thanks mark, I was thinking the fish tanks will be buried beneath the grow beds. At least initially... This will allow me up to 4 GB and 4 fish tanks to be able to have different type or different size of the same kind of fish going... As I'm reading through other people's systems I'm already thinking the IBCs will be small for fish, not sure how many I can have in there but thinking if it gets to where I want more fish room I could always add a lean to on the greenhouse later...I will probably run in to the issue of having too many fish for the amount of grow bed space I have.... But I'm a fish person and I'm addicted to fish tanks...

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '16, 02:21 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

We may not need the second door though because the idea was to make it easy to get things out either side to take to the garden, but I'm sold on the idea of not ever wanting a garden again if AP works as well for us as what it does for others..so maybe I will frame for the second door but not install it at first until we see what we want to do once everything is running...

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '16, 03:55 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: no
A second door would he handy for air flow on really hot bays
In summer I used to remove a sheet of glass at the other end

PostPosted: Jan 14th, '16, 21:01 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Thanks F&F, I plan on having 3 single hung windows on both east and west sides at the very bottom then will make the very top window on both east and west sides hinge as well to be able to open them... they are a different style of window that used to have 5 panes of glass hung vertically that you could open them all up (was from a screened in porch that my dad took down and closed in for someone in Florida), he didn't save the frame but saved all the window panes for me so I'm going to box them in so they don't move in all of them except the top ones I'll figure out how to make them hinge open so I can help move air in the peak of the building. I have more of the single hung windows but being single hung they only open on the bottom... too bad they aren't double hung...

PostPosted: Jan 15th, '16, 07:46 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

markb wrote:
The new design is looking good.
On the top front roof you will not want to use glass because it will heat up the greenhouse to fast. You want to use something that defuses or scatters the light. The front windows your patio doors will work perfect there. The second door will make it hard to put a tank in front of it.
I know about trying to figure out how big to make it. It is really very hard.

I've looked around and there isn't anything really economical for me to use in place of the upper glass. I can't find anything that is glazed, I did find some ribbed roofing that is tinted, so I think I might stick with the original plan for the windows and I can tint them to reduce the light that comes through them if it's a problem in summer time.

I think I've pretty much finished sketching up everything I can think of right now.

Attachment:
iso3.png
iso3.png [ 34.43 KiB | Viewed 2561 times ]

Attachment:
front top.png
front top.png [ 12.87 KiB | Viewed 2561 times ]

Attachment:
front.png
front.png [ 17.03 KiB | Viewed 2561 times ]

Attachment:
right.png
right.png [ 21.6 KiB | Viewed 2561 times ]

Attachment:
IBCs.png
IBCs.png [ 61.74 KiB | Viewed 2561 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 17th, '16, 06:11 

Are you human?: I think so
I think you would get better heat exchange in your gravel floor using flexible aluminum ducting.

PostPosted: Jan 18th, '16, 01:42 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

There might be other types of plumbing that would be better, I need to look in to it more, just have to have something that won't crush from the weight on top of it... I've seen solar heaters made out of eaves trough downspout too but again might crush under ground...

Here's an article I read that got me started with the underground heat idea...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homestea ... x?PageId=1

PostPosted: Jan 18th, '16, 02:04 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Another one I had read.... http://www.mprnews.org/story/2014/02/03 ... reen-house

I'm trying to find a specific one that I had read that had really good pictures and details about what they did but not finding it... Might be bookmarked on my work computer...

PostPosted: Jan 18th, '16, 05:16 

Maybe you'll recognize one of the pics - https://www.google.com/search?q=subterranean+greenhouse+heating&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_yMzu4bHKAhUY_WMKHTj1CvwQsAQIHw&biw=1920&bih=957

I did the search on subterranean greenhouse heating - it's sometimes called that instead of underground.

PostPosted: Jan 19th, '16, 20:52 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I ordered the first part of my greenhouse the other night (aside from the 40-50 windows I already have stored in the barn...) ordered a bunch of PV panels to build a solar electric panel to power the greenhouse. It will only be 500W (at full capacity, likely less depending on the output of my inverter which I didn't read until after I ordered it that it's only about 52% efficient... going to have to upgrade it if that is the case! I know I saw others that were 95-98% efficient for 2-3x the price...)

This will be my first attempt to play with solar. I do have a solar heater on my house but it was there when I bought the house. Eventually I'd like to add a bunch of solar panels for electricity to the house to reduce my electric bills by at least half (eventually 100%) but I figured the greenhouse would be a good place to start playing with solar to learn what I need to do. What I ordered comes with 130 PV panels that I have to wire/solder together, so I will have to come up with a homemade box to build to house them and some sort of mount that I can put on top of the greenhouse and be able to tilt north/south depending on the time of year to get more sun for the panel.

I figured if I run the solar panels on the greenhouse it will save me some money for not having to run electric from the house out there... I plan to do the whole build without permits, so they would frown on me running electric to it if I tied it in to the house. I figure with the inverter I bought it's a "grid tie" system that just plugs in to an outlet, I'll just run electric in the greenhouse like normal just not tie it in to the house, just plug the inverter in instead, even though it won't really be tied to the grid.

I think if I can get close to the 500W max I'll have more than enough power for the greenhouse because all I think I will need is enough power for a couple of small computer fans for the underground heat, and power for the pumps for the AP system.

PostPosted: Jan 19th, '16, 22:12 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
You should look at the documentation. If it is a grid tie inverter it will require power to be present before it will turn on and is soon as it detects the loss of grid power it will shut down. I have 12.5 KW of DIY solar install here that covers my whole house and my EV car.

Check out this built it is very interesting with data to back up claims.
http://growyourowngroceries.org/mad-sci ... wn-to-25f/

PostPosted: Jan 20th, '16, 08:37 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I'll figure it out once it gets here... I will end up with an off grid system one way or another so I have a couple of batteries for backup at night and cloudy days when we don't get power to keep the AP system running.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49  Next