All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: Jan 1st, '18, 04:38 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Did the Masons give your grand father their send off? I was stunned by their performance at my fathers funeral. Again, condolences to the Riningers and thanks for sharing .

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 1st, '18, 22:44 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
No, my grandpa wasn't a member of the masons, we just rent the hall. My uncle Bill is a member though.

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '18, 02:01 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

December 31, 2017 still lots of greens in the greenhouse AP system. Air temps getting down to about 39F at night. I put two 300W aquarium heaters in the DWC bed to try and heat the water hoping it will bring the air temp up with it. My water temp is about 52F in the fish tank, it is warm enough that the fish have started eating again. I went out this morning and it was 10F outside, 46F in the greenhouse with a mostly cloudy day. I ran the heater to bump it up to 60F and will go out in a couple hours and see if it maintained it or just fell back down. I put the insulation back up over my upper windows so it might hold heat a little better.

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '18, 10:13 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I gave in and ordered a propane heater for the greenhouse. It will be here Thursday. It is supposed to automatically shutoff at a set temp for each setting then reignite when needed to maintain temp so I will run it on the lowest setting and see how warm it keeps it.

I didn't mention, the reason for the trip to TN was to bring my dad's tractor back up... So I have a 1954 Ford NAA jubilee at least for this winter, not sure what the long-term plan will be now that my grandpa died because my dad may not come up here to hunt anymore, the plan was he would take it back to TN in November and I would bring it back in December. I will use it for plowing the rest of winter and may be able to use it to clean up some more field for enlarging the garden again next year. It doesn't have any lights on it so I ordered some lights to put on it so I can actually see what I'm doing if plowing after dark.

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '18, 20:37 
A posting God
A posting God

That is very cool and I looked her up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_NAA_tractor
Fascinating they made a kerosene burning version too. I've got an oldie in the yard as well:
Attachment:
IH-460-Utility.jpg
IH-460-Utility.jpg [ 180.44 KiB | Viewed 1239 times ]

Not a picture of mine.
I wish we had some snow to move around, lol.
I hadn't started mine in ten years or so. I may get inspired by you again and give it a go.

PostPosted: Jan 3rd, '18, 01:29 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Yikes, I couldn't stand having a tractor sitting around my yard not being able to use it -- unless I had a better tractor that I was using! I had an old Allis Chalmers that was on my TN property when I bought it... I drained the gas, changed the plugs and she started right up. Not sure how long it had sat though. I found the reason it was sitting in the precarious place I found it was because the steering mechanism had broke... so I fixed that but then something happened to it by the next time I went down there, it didn't want to run right... I brought it home with me one trip and tried tinkering around with it but didn't figure it out so I sold it to someone who knew more about them than I cared to learn at the time. I was living in town at the time so really had no use for it anyways... then I moved back to the country and have regretted selling the tractor ever since... the AC had a dual chisel plow on it that would come in handy for gardening now to brake up the dirt, but I think with my dad's tractor I can probably lower the tines on the box blade and it will probably be able to break up the dirt too. I am planning on extending my garden again this year to give more room for growing (it will be in the dirt for now, eventually I will probably build DWC beds out there in the area I'm planning to reclaim this year but for now I'll just clean it up, tarp it to try and kill off weeds then plant in the dirt until some of my other projects are further along. Might try planting sweet corn in the ground since I don't have bed space with my plans for this year...

PostPosted: Jan 4th, '18, 09:52 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Had this on the porch when I got home tonight. Unfortunately the regulator won't be here until Sunday they are saying (supposed to be tomorrow but they say usps truck broke down and delayed delivery three days... Not sure I buy it...)

PostPosted: Jan 5th, '18, 02:57 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

pleasantly surprised, the stuff that said it was delayed until Sunday showed up today before lunch. So hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to get the heater running in the greenhouse.

PostPosted: Jan 5th, '18, 04:05 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
Ha ha, the delivery man read your last post on here about being delayed for and knew you was onto him so he delivered today..........

I like your system by the way, impressive!

PostPosted: Jan 5th, '18, 18:27 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Thanks KE.

Unfortunately in my haste last night I was going to run back to town to get the rest of the parts to assemble everything but first I tried connecting the regulator/hose assembly that I got to connect from the LP bottle to the heater regulator using the fitting that was provided with the heater... it's not the same size, I wanted to make sure it did fit in the heater so I started to thread the fitting in to the heater and probably only went about 2 threads and said yup that works, started to back it out because I didn't have any sealant on it and the damn thing cross threads instantly even though I hadn't applied any pressure to get it in there in the first place. So I go on amazon and read the reviews to find a guy who did the same thing and posted not to use that fitting because it would strip the regulator... another guy who posted he couldn't remove the fitting and ended up busting it... great... so I try gentle removing with a wrench and it's not moving just bending the bracket the regulator mounts on... so now I get to disassemble the heater and remove the regulator...

I got it out and took it out to the barn to use the bench vise to hold it so it won't move while I try to remove the fitting and remember that the last time I used the bench vise I ripped it out of the table I had it attached to... so took it in to the garage to a more convenient/better lit area and drilled holes in the workbench there to attach the bench vise. I managed to get the fitting out but it did strip the threads out. So then I go searching for my tap/die set, remembering the last time I used it was to try and clean up some threads on lug nuts for the trailer when I changed my lugs out so I search the barn since it is closest to the trailer... nothing... search the garage can't find it, search the utility room in the house nothing... back to the barn, still nothing... back to the utility room still nothing... back to the garage ah crap there it is right above where I was standing working at the bench vise... why I thought that was a good place to store it I have no idea. Unfortunately my tap set does not go large enough for this, so I'm SOL. By this time my night is shot and I'm not going to go back to town for parts, so I go inside and start looking online for a replacement regulator.

The regulator I have in my hand has two different numbers on it that I thought could be the part number. "Chant 219529" is in the casting... can't find anything that looks like this regulator... "RTZ-11-15A-LPG" is on a sticker, I find some regulators but they look nothing like this one... it also says it is 1/2 PSIG LPG 10" W.C. so I start looking for regulators that are 1/2 PSIG at 10"W.C. and I can find 1/2 PSIG but they are 5-12 W.C.... after searching for a while and not finding anything I go to the user guide that came with the heater and look to see if it has part numbers... OK it has a different part number than either of those... 80106 googling this I find a regulator that looks exactly like the one I have... but the only website that brings up the results with a picture is a dead link... wtf?

DOH.... I just clicked on the image and now the website works... must have been an issue with my phone it looks like I can order it from them online. I am going to try and find a tap that I can rethread this one first so it won't take as long to get it up and running but otherwise I'll order one of these tonight and hope to have it some time next week.

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '18, 07:54 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

A few weeks ago I broke a tooth. Today was the appointment to go get it fixed. I haven't had any pain since I broke it, but now after having them cut the old tooth down and put in a temporary crown I'm in incredible pain, can't barely open my mouth. Hopefully once the swelling goes down it will be better.

I didn't go back to work, so I stopped and got some parts on my way home to work on some of my projects this weekend. It is supposed to be almost up to freezing Sunday and a lot of next week above freezing, I am most excited to see 30 degree weather. I think I might find my shorts after how brutally cold it has been freezing will feel great.

PostPosted: Jan 6th, '18, 18:32 
Legend Member
Legend Member

We have just had the opposite in NM. It has been cold in the mornings, but been getting up into the mid/high 40s. We came to look @ property in Kansas/Missouri and high teens with a wind that can cut through layers like you are not wearing anything.

Found some contenders, so who knows what the future has in store. Definitely smaller, but would still allow us the luxury of keeping current lifestyle but having amenities within 20 minutes for all shopping/activities.

Have fun working outside this weekend.

Adam

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '18, 03:07 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I managed to get the heater installed in the greenhouse last night
I soapy water tested my gas connection and thought I had it all worked out. Ran the heater for a little last night
On the lowest setting it got the greenhouse to about 50f then kicked off to just the pilot light until it needs more to keep it at 50 again. I turned it off because we need to move some of my wife's plants out before I start heating it because they are supposed to be dormant. She said it's ok if they freeze so we will wait til tomorrow when it is closer to freezing then move them to the garage so it's a little easier transition for them.

I went out this morning and it was only 35 in the greenhouse. I turned the heater on and decided to soapy water test the connections again and found I still have a slow leak coming from the messed up threaded area of the regulator. It is pretty slow so I don't think it's a huge deal but I will probably order a new regulator to replace it.

Heater mounted above fish tank.
Attachment:
IMG_20180105_203510211-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180105_203510211-800x600.jpg [ 107.12 KiB | Viewed 1143 times ]

I went out to try and work on putting lights I bought on the tractor but it was too cold. Came in and started working on the workout room instead. Got hopefully the last coat of mud on everything and got half the floor put down, then put our exercise bike together. Have a mess to clean up but need to run to town and buy three more packages of flooring to finish it. Big mess of stuff that was in the room that I need to go through and toss anything we don't really need to keep because lots of boxes that we haven't opened in three years we've been in this house and probably hadn't opened them the three years in the last house so time to toss them.

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '18, 11:50 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

My wife and I watched the first four episodes of "Rotten" tonight on Netflix... I highly recommend it as I think it's something everyone on here can appreciate... Documentary of the corruption that is big corporation farming... Starts with honey bees, peanut allergies and food allergies in general, garlic wars between small farmers and corrupt Chinese imports as well as their corrupt US counterparts, then the last episode is truly heartbreaking for me, but goes inside factory farms raising chicken... I have heard about a lot of it with raising my own meat birds but truly heartbreaking to hear the stories of the farmers who run the factory farms raising hundreds of thousands of chickens at each farm at a time.... I did not realize how little they have control over, they are controlled by the chicken companies (Tyson, pilgrims pride, etc.) But then tradgedy hit in n2015, I recall hearing chicken prices would go up but thought it was due to disease, but I think it's probably due to sabotage. Really an interesting documentary so far.

PostPosted: Jan 7th, '18, 21:22 
A posting God
A posting God

Your projects are really coming along nicely. I started to watch Rotten, but put it off for later. As you can imagine life in front of the TV hasn't been good to me while I was down, happily I am back to being able to do things which makes me so very happy. I spent the day dancing in the forest yesterday and I'm not really sore, which I believe is because of the strenuous workouts I'm doing every morning. It's weird for me seeing what everyone is doing while I was out of it so I hadn't really posted much until I read what you are doing creating a better workout room. I'm a believer now.
Good job with everything you are doing Rob, it is encouraging to see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 53  Next