All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: Jan 7th, '18, 22:13 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
We have had the plan to build a workout room since we bought the house over three years ago..
Maybe before then... I had bought a treadmill and lifting machine when I was renting the last place... Sadly it hasn't been used in the past three years.

I built the wall and drywalled it last winter/early spring and did most of the mudding but never got around to finishing it because we got busy with outdoor projects. Now the weather is pretty crappy I'm working on indoor projects again so hopefully I'll have the workout room finished soon.

It's still a mess I need to cut the last row of flooring to make them fit then need to wash it all down with a wet rag because the original piece I had is dusty and I was tracking dusty footprints on the new. Plus I have a big cupboard I haven't decided if I'm keeping or not, and have old lockers I need to move in from the garage that the wife bought to store stuff in.

Attachments:
IMG_20180107_091240225-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180107_091240225-800x600.jpg [ 88.54 KiB | Viewed 1541 times ]
IMG_20180107_091050132-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180107_091050132-800x600.jpg [ 83.04 KiB | Viewed 1541 times ]
IMG_20180107_090806809-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180107_090806809-800x600.jpg [ 103.38 KiB | Viewed 1541 times ]
IMG_20180107_090758241-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180107_090758241-800x600.jpg [ 105.84 KiB | Viewed 1541 times ]

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 11th, '18, 02:01 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I tried getting the tractor out to push some snow the other night but the hydraulics wouldn't work even after 15 to 20 minutes of idling to warm it up, so I decided to check the fluids and it was nasty, obviously water in the hydraulics. I drained it last night and refilled them and it works ok now, but this is what I found...

Hydraulics
Attachment:
IMG_20180109_191802621_HDR-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180109_191802621_HDR-600x800.jpg [ 86.58 KiB | Viewed 1502 times ]

Trans
Attachment:
IMG_20180109_194709250-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180109_194709250-800x600.jpg [ 57.69 KiB | Viewed 1502 times ]

Axle
Attachment:
IMG_20180109_194229354_BURST001-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180109_194229354_BURST001-800x600.jpg [ 127.08 KiB | Viewed 1502 times ]

I think I'll change the trans fluids too because they look terrible too. The axle doesn't look great but at least it's not putrid.

Now if you can still stomach the thought of food, I had a small harvest of two types of lettuce, kale, Swiss chard, bok choi, and broccoli last night.

Attachment:
IMG_20180109_181752682-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180109_181752682-600x800.jpg [ 167.07 KiB | Viewed 1502 times ]

Can anyone tell me what the deficiency is on the bok choi? Originally thought iron due to high pH but now thinking potassium? magnesium?

Attachments:
IMG_20180109_182005226-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180109_182005226-600x800.jpg [ 130.73 KiB | Viewed 1502 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 02:52 

Are you human?: Does not compute
Not an expert, but my guess would be iron. Past bok choi I've had in my system looked similar when it was low on iron and bok choi is supposed to be high in iron content, which would make sense then.
Problem was solved by adding some iron chelates.

PostPosted: Jan 12th, '18, 04:47 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

OK, I've thought I had iron issues in the past. I have iron chelate but the form I have isn't good for the pH my water was at the last time I checked it so I don't think it was really doing anything by adding the iron to my system. I haven't tested the pH lately so I will have to check and see if the pH has come down any to a point where adding my chelated iron would be usable.

my wife text me this afternoon and said she noticed the two oregano plants she has by the sink in the house are covered in thrips last night... she thought maybe they came in on the greens I picked the other night so I need to check and see if I have a thrips issue in the greenhouse or not. I hadn't noticed one but will have to check... it could explain some of the other issues I've had in the greenhouse too.

it looks like ladybugs and green lacewings and maybe preying mantis will all eat thrips (as well as a slew of other bad bugs). I had released ladybugs in there over the summer but don't see many of them hanging around they mostly made their way out when windows/doors were open and moved to the garden so I think I might order some of them next week to turn loose in the greenhouse... maybe they will stay in there better since it is warmer than outside air (and the windows don't open during winter). I was going to order them today but we're going away for the weekend so I will wait until sunday or monday to order them so they don't get stuck on the porch or in the mailbox this weekend and freeze.

PostPosted: Jan 16th, '18, 09:08 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Thinking of spring already. Planted parsley a couple weeks ago, some early tomatoes and green peppers for the greenhouse last week, cauliflower and green onions tonight. Taking a big risk starting them this early but making a calculated guess at when they will be ready to transplant and hoping my low tunnels over the raised beds will have the beds ready to transplant in time. If it doesn't work I'll have a better idea next year.

PostPosted: Jan 16th, '18, 20:48 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Compared to what?
Hey Rob,

I'm looking at sowing too now.
Last year I sowed really early and most of those plants got very leggy and almost all died later due to low light conditions.

This year I'm looking at making a rack of shelves with LED light strips to form a little nursery in the house.

Fingers crossed that we will get a good summer this year, 2017 was the wettest and coldest year in decades here. I want to fill my greenhouse with produce this year!

By the end of May my wife will go on maternity leave (our 5th child!) so she can enjoy the garden and hopefully the abundance of lovely produce all summer.

I wish you a great season as well buddy!

Cheers - Jens

My system:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27466

PostPosted: Jan 17th, '18, 20:38 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Hi Jens,

My seeds are all getting started in the fish room right now because the greenhouse is not warm enough for seeds yet. I still need to get my wife to move her plants from work out of the greenhouse (I don't want to do it myself because if they freeze and die I don't want to be responsible for it... she says they'll be OK to freeze, I'll let her move them though... just hasn't happened). Once they are out of the greenhouse I plan to leave the propane heater on to maintain 50F in there (which still isn't enough for sprouting seeds, but I figure once the plants are sprouted and gain some size in the house then I will be able to move them to the greenhouse and they should stay alive at 50F although not really grow much until it starts warming up more... hopefully they will be hardier that way too!). I have LED strip lights in the fish room above all of the fish tanks so that is where I am setting the seeds for now is on top of the fish tanks (but I'm quickly running out of room). I need to reassemble a shelf I built last year to put more fish tanks on for hatching tanks for my tilapia... I am actually going to split my tilapia out from 2 tanks they are in now to 4 tanks so I have fewer fish in each tank to try and reduce the risk of babies getting eaten, then set up the hatching/grow out tanks as well... I might be able to put some more shelves for seeds in it because last year it was 4 shelves tall but I disassembled it and took two of the shelves out to make storage shelves in a different room, the top shelf of the 4 wasn't very usable because it was up too high but I could at least get a third shelf in there for setting seeds on. I had a little mold issue last year because the shelves were trapping moist air under them so I had to toss one of the shelves that had mold on it because I had not painted the shelves so didn't want to deal with if the mold had penetrated the wood or not. Had mold growing on the drywall as well near those areas but bleach and water cleaned it up quickly so it did not penetrate the drywall. I will need to add some holes in the plywood shelves to allow the moisture to escape this time, and will also keep the shelf a few inches away from the wall to allow air flow around it, and run the dehumidifier in the room nonstop when I have all of the extra tanks running.

Last year we waited until our normal time of March-April to start seeds in the greenhouse for planting mid to late May in the garden, but I have been trying to optimize everything to get more harvest out of our garden this year by doing early plantings and late plantings to get more out of the fixed number of beds... and I may still clean up some more field area to plant more in the dirt too but our dirt is terrible clay. Having the raised beds covered with low tunnels should allow me to plant in the garden a little earlier this year.

Congrats on child #5 on the way Jens, you will have to start producing more food to be able to feed 5 kids! Fortunately I think once you get the AP up and going you should be able to do quite a bit with the space you have! And with the number of fish tanks you have in the system I think you could support outside systems for summer growing too once it is warm enough to not need to have the greenhouse for growing.

I think my next big project will be to come up with a way to grow more fish. I've considered large outdoor pools which can be found pretty reasonably priced, but the materials are not recommended for food production due to UV deterioration... I am starting to think about buying a few cinder blocks every time I go to the hardware store and slowly building a large cinder block pond that I would put a liner in. Would last longer than a wood/plywood tank with a liner in it outdoors...

PostPosted: Jan 17th, '18, 23:08 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Just looking at my garden plans for this year and realized I only have about 2 weeks until I need to cover my raised beds with plastic to give them about a month to thaw out / warm up before I intend to start planting... seems really early but I guess I'll see how it works out this year and adjust as needed next year.

PostPosted: Jan 20th, '18, 18:15 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Compared to what?
Hi Rob,

Are you selling Tilapia stock now? I think that's what you intended to, right?

How about just digging a pond on your land and put a liner in it?
Dig one that's the width fitting the pond liner you can get and then just make it as long as you need.
That way you don't have to glue together two liners or anything.
Since the pond will not be overly wide, you can cover it with a caterpillar tunnel (double layered if you want) to keep out birds and other animals and keep the water warm.

I'm definitely going to grow more food! :-)
I'm slowly setting up a small orchard behind the house.
Right now I'm digging long narrow beds where I just dig up the grass, fill all our vegetable kitchen scraps, old flowers (I'm a softie so I buy my wife flowers every week) and cardboard egg trays and shells into it and cover it with the grass tufts turned upside down. Then I plant small fruit trees on long rows. I'm thinking I can fit in 3 rows of 10 - 15 trees. As they grow I will trellis them up and train the branches sideways.
I might even put some low blueberry or other berries in between the trees.

For the summertime I can put a drip line in each row and run it back to my aquaponic system. I now have a pump hooked to a garden hose so I can water the plants on the patio with aquaponics water without running back and forth with a bucket. :-) I'll just run the hose from the drip lines up to the pump and then I can change connectors and water the orchard automatically.

We're also going to reuse the small greenhouse I had my first system in. This year it will be my wife's greenhouse and she wants to grow in the dirt. So I'll move it onto the lawn and dig up the grass for her. I think she will grow mostly beans and brasicas which will be lovely.

So as you see I will have lots of work to do in all my weekends this year starting ---- NOW! :-0

Off to set up the shelves!

My system:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27466

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '18, 19:48 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I have not started selling Tilapia as of yet. Last year I tried selling the Tilapia I had left after I had raised enough for what I wanted to grow myself but only got a couple of hits from people a couple hours away from me and they didn't want to drive even half way to meet me. One guy wanted thousands of tilapia, he said he will buy every Tilapia I can breed because he has a restaurant that he raises his own tilapia for but doesn't want to deal with hatching them himself... he was kind of along the path to get to my in-law's house so I tried setting up a time to meet him to drop the fish off when I was going up to the in-laws house on a holiday weekend but he couldn't accommodate meeting me then either... like he wanted me to work around his schedule when I was the one that had to drive 2 hours to his place.... and he didn't want to pay the going rate for them either he wanted a huge discount over what I paid for tilapia fingerlings but I haven't tracked my costs close enough to know what it really costs me to raise them... so I wasn't going to sell them at 1/4 what he could buy them for where I bought mine... then I was talking to an old co-worker one day and he asked about where to get the Tilapia at... he wanted to try and put some in his pond as a natural algae reduction instead of using chemicals in his pond, so I just ended up giving them all to him to try in his pond... not sure if they made an impact on the algae in his pond or not, but he said he didn't notice any floaters when the water temp hit the level where they died so figured must be his bass in the pond ate them -- he was happy with that as an alternative too to feed his bass... so he said he will buy them from me if I have more to sell this year.

I have not started to try and breed the tilapia yet this year. I am working on getting tanks ready to separate my two tilapia colonies into four colonies (hopefully, I need to try checking sexes again to make sure I have the split male to female I want, but should make at least 3 colonies hopefully 4) then I will get them started breeding. I bought two of these metal shelves this weekend... last year I had built an 8 foot long shelf out of wood, but the wood trapped moisture and I had mold growing under the shelves so I ripped that out and my wife saw these when we were at the store and suggested I go this route this year to let moisture move out of the shelving. So I bought two of them. They actually came with 5 shelves which are rated for 1000 pounds each, but I only put four shelves on so I would have room to access the tanks. I have one 40 breeder on the bottom, three 20 highs in the middle and four 10 gals on top. I am thinking the other shelf I might take my 55 gal and 75 gal and put them on the other shelf and get rid of the stuff they are sitting on right now, will take less room in my fish room, plus then I could plumb the two big tanks together and also put AP beds on top so it filters both of the bigger tanks. Then I might buy a third shelf just to organize the room better. I kicked the dehumidifier on last night in preparation of having more water in the room to hopefully keep from having mold issues again this year.

Attachment:
IMG_20180121_113525809-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180121_113525809-600x800.jpg [ 104.63 KiB | Viewed 1264 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '18, 19:55 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

As for the digging of a pond -- my ground is pure clay... hard to dig by hand... I don't have the money to hire it out to professionals or rent the equipment so whatever digging I do has to be done by hand. I might partially dig it out as much as I can stand doing but will most likely go upwards above ground too (safer for having kids running around too). I do like the idea of having a long channel inside of a hoop house... I will keep that in the back of my mind! My wife sent me a text message last week that they had a seminar at work about growing raspberries in high tunnels... I told her maybe when we build our second hoop house we will have room for that... so I started putting it out there that I'm going to build another hoop house eventually... an additional one to cover a fish pond wouldn't be a bad idea... =)

Hopefully this spring I will be able to use my dad's tractor with a box blade on it to clear a big area of my field... unfortunately I've been having problems with it since I brought it home... it doesn't like our cold weather. Been fighting the hydraulics, finally got that working and think something internal to the engine broke, cam shaft doesn't seem to be spinning now so I will probably get to overhaul the engine for him now.

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '18, 23:16 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Shipping fish to customers must be a huge challenge, it certainly sounds like hauling them yourself is just as difficult. Good luck with whatever you do. I know there must be a market for Talapia fry too.
I had the similar issues with my antique tractor. I finally realized that I had to keep it covered to keep water out of the tranny and hydraulics. I found out the same way as you did. I started it one Winter day to plow our long driveway. It started well enough, but I couldn't let the clutch out or it would stall. I finally figured out the transmission oil had water in it, which of course was frozen solid. So much for that plan. Anyway it was too cold to be out in the snow with no heated cab :lol: So I gave up starting it again until Spring. The best part about having a tractor for me was playing with it's hydraulics. I had fallen asleep driving my hot rod, an "84 Mercedes Benz I had modded a 4.8 liter V6 TBI Chevy engine and six speed transmission into. Mashed up the front clip really good. One fender was 18" higher than the other. I had also modded the front end to rack and pinion steering, which I was happy to say held together perfectly. I used my '57 tractor with completely modified hydraulics to straighten out the body, well and created my own style of devises to hold the body tin with out tearing it. That was a lot of fun to do. Unfortunately for that car I let my son use it one Winter night and a water line broke or came off, he filled it with water and it froze the engine up. Moral of the story don't put so much work into a project that it ruins our lives from lack of attention to family. :laughing3:

PostPosted: Jan 23rd, '18, 01:26 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I called my dad and told him I broke the tractor... he just told me to let him know what it costs to fix it and he'll send me money... I am sure that is not the end of it. Quite a few years ago he had got online and decided to buy a dirt bike... he was in Florida and bidding on a dirt bike in Michigan, well the price got more than he wanted to pay so he let it go, then he found a two pack of dirt bikes one was really super powered for professional racing and the other was for a kid so he bought them and figured he would take the kid bike up to my step brother... then the auction on the first bike ended and the guy who won it didn't pay for it so the seller contacted him to see if he was still interested at his lower bid... so dad bought that bike too and had me drive up to get it since it was in Michigan. I got it home and had it at the house for a few months that I had rode it around my old horse pasture a bit and had just a little dirt pile bump that I was using to get just a little bit of air (not quite brave enough to really jump anything) when he came up to visit we got it out and I was riding it around the yard when he looks and says hey that 3 foot mound of dirt would make a decent jump... I hadn't thought about it because it was just tall weeds on a pile of dirt that the previous owner had left there. So I decided to try and jump it... went back got some speed, front tire popped up in the air then back tire hit and sent the front tire flying back towards the ground. I went head over handle bars, took the handle bar to my ribs and rolled across the yard. He got a good laugh out of it... I got a visit to the urgent care and then emergency room for X-rays because I thought I broke a rib... turned out just bruised but they said bruised ribs hurt worse than broke ribs a lot of times... I still haven't lived that down because after that the bike had some damage to it and ended up messing up the engine. He took it in to the shop in town to get it fixed and ended up paying more to fix it than what he had paid to buy it in the first place. So he took it back to Florida with him after that... my uncle was riding his other dirt bike and popped a wheelie and it walked right out from under him, uncle ended up shattering his ankle so he sold that bike because it said it was too fast and kept the bike that I cost him a lot more money than what it was worth... so I'm just waiting for the fallout of what he'll say about sending his tractor home with me.

PostPosted: Jan 23rd, '18, 09:28 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Oh damn. The proverbial "other foot falling," I bet you can't wait. Let your dad know I never made my son live up to my demand that he owed me a hot rod, lol like I yelled to him on occasion.

PostPosted: Jan 23rd, '18, 18:55 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Last night I repotted my dwarf lemon trees that have been growing a month or so now.
Attachment:
IMG_20180122_193038912_HDR-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180122_193038912_HDR-600x800.jpg [ 170.05 KiB | Viewed 1174 times ]

I put two of them in the indoors AP to see what happens. They are at the front corners here. We will watch their growth.
Attachment:
IMG_20180122_193029388_HDR-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180122_193029388_HDR-800x600.jpg [ 117.05 KiB | Viewed 1174 times ]

Tomatoes started indoors to transplant into the greenhouse once they get bigger.
Attachment:
IMG_20180122_193102630_HDR-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180122_193102630_HDR-600x800.jpg [ 187.31 KiB | Viewed 1174 times ]

Lettuce replacements started. Two different kinds here being tested in two different soils to see what is easier potting soil or Coco coir for cleaning off to move to AP.
Attachment:
IMG_20180122_193119665_HDR-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180122_193119665_HDR-600x800.jpg [ 159.25 KiB | Viewed 1174 times ]

And finally, Saturday we spent $100 on seeds for the garden this year... Then last night my wife comes home with this... For free.
Attachment:
IMG_20180122_193301385-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180122_193301385-800x600.jpg [ 173.96 KiB | Viewed 1174 times ]

Doh! They we're 2016 seeds, but I would think they should be ok as long as they stayed dry and it doesn't appear to have any water damage to the packages.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 53  Next