All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 48  Next
PostPosted: Jan 26th, '18, 09:21 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
I saw someone suggest this on a Facebook group I'm on... The cheap blinds that get destroyed if you have kids or animals in your house... We replaced them all with heavier duty nicer blinds and I didn't throw them away I saved at least half a dozen blinds... This is one blind cut up into about 5 to 6 inch strips to use for plant markers... Should last me a couple of years I think...

Attachment:
IMG_20180125_201822933_BURST001-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180125_201822933_BURST001-800x600.jpg [ 131.09 KiB | Viewed 940 times ]

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 29th, '18, 07:17 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Everyone has been enjoying the warm weather. Chickens are happy to have grass to eat again. Sam is happy to get to play outside more and Chase the chickens.

Attachment:
IMG_20180126_163815379_HDR-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180126_163815379_HDR-800x600.jpg [ 199.27 KiB | Viewed 904 times ]

The greens in the greenhouse have gone crazy the last couple weeks with the weather being warm.
Attachment:
IMG_20180127_162315715_HDR-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180127_162315715_HDR-600x800.jpg [ 205.37 KiB | Viewed 904 times ]

I took advantage of today and put plastic on four of the six raised beds in the garden. Almost had enough for all of the beds but for some reason I had cut one piece at 12 ft last fall when I needed it to be about 15 ft so it's too short and that left me with the last bit on the roll being too short too, but this should be enough space for the really early stuff I want to try... I will pick up another roll of plastic in the coming weeks to cover the last couple beds.
Attachment:
IMG_20180128_165606391_HDR-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180128_165606391_HDR-800x600.jpg [ 190.16 KiB | Viewed 904 times ]

It's heading back below freezing by middle of the week so I kicked the heater on in the greenhouse to maintain it above 50 while it's mid 60s in there today.

PostPosted: Jan 29th, '18, 21:43 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Wow, Sam is so big now! We got to take advantage of the warm weekend weather too. It was amazing. Are the hoops on the beds already curved like that? That is such a good idea.

:?

PostPosted: Jan 30th, '18, 01:54 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Yes
Ringer....... Going back to your deficiency question on page 40..... Lower leaves of the plant, yellowing leaves, veins remaining green...... My money is on magnesium deficiency. My system is developing the same symptoms. I've just come on here to try and find a good magnesium treatment.....

PostPosted: Jan 30th, '18, 01:57 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Rininger...... It's happening more and more....... Reading glasses will soon be a 'must'.......

PostPosted: Jan 30th, '18, 04:30 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

boss wrote:
Wow, Sam is so big now! We got to take advantage of the warm weekend weather too. It was amazing. Are the hoops on the beds already curved like that? That is such a good idea.

He is getting big. He will be 18 months next week. The hoops in my raised beds are 1/2" electrical conduit PVC. I just stick them in and bend them over they are plenty flexible for these beds (3ft across the beds). The first 4 beds I pounded PVC outside the beds to anchor the hoops in then put a screw in through them both into the wood, these last two beds I just stuck the hoops down inside the dirt in the bed. This would be a good option for you Brian with your grass hopper concerns -- use hoops and cover with netting to keep grass hoppers off instead of growing under plastic (or do a combination of both, plastic you could probably grow through the winter quite a few things then in the heat switch it out to netting to keep bugs off)

Know expert wrote:
Ringer....... Going back to your deficiency question on page 40..... Lower leaves of the plant, yellowing leaves, veins remaining green...... My money is on magnesium deficiency. My system is developing the same symptoms. I've just come on here to try and find a good magnesium treatment.....

It does look like it could be magnesium after looking it up. I had tomatoes going crazy in the system last year so it could have ate up all of the magnesium easily. From what I found it said to use epsom salt to add magnesium... I have a big bag of that at home from my salty fish days so I will toss some in to the DWC bed and see what happens.

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '18, 04:21 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Rininger, I've just ordered mine..... BUT..... before you do please read my thread about confusing or contradicting results (bad memory as well as eyes) I whittled my problem down to magnesium deficiancy but now have to work out how much to use in a 1500L system without getting a sulphate build up! Is that something you can help me understand? If so please leave a response on the other thread.....

Back on topic..... Your system and beds are looking great. Do you get hot dry weather in summer if so have you thought about trying one of your raised beds as a wicking bed? I made one to test and put it on 'know expert's system' thread if you want to check out what I did.

As for 'rotten' on Netflix, yeah I watched the episode about garlic, after that I planted my own garlic in my raised wicking bed and today I saw one of them is starting to show already.....

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '18, 22:49 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Know expert wrote:
Rininger, I've just ordered mine..... BUT..... before you do please read my thread about confusing or contradicting results (bad memory as well as eyes) I whittled my problem down to magnesium deficiancy but now have to work out how much to use in a 1500L system without getting a sulphate build up! Is that something you can help me understand? If so please leave a response on the other thread.....

Back on topic..... Your system and beds are looking great. Do you get hot dry weather in summer if so have you thought about trying one of your raised beds as a wicking bed? I made one to test and put it on 'know expert's system' thread if you want to check out what I did.

As for 'rotten' on Netflix, yeah I watched the episode about garlic, after that I planted my own garlic in my raised wicking bed and today I saw one of them is starting to show already.....

I'm not a huge fan of testing and trying to get things just right... I do run some basic tests every now and then but usually I try to just watch the system and see what it is telling me rather than spending much time testing... so I won't calculate out how much I need... I'll just add small amounts until things start to look better. I think I need to work on a rain catchment system so I can replace the water in my system this summer because my well water is extremely hard, which has kept my pH too high to really make a lot of the nutrients available in the system. Then I add calcium, potassium, and now I'll add some magnesium and all it does is increase my pH due to increasing the hardness. I've been waiting for the pH to magically drop on its own as the system ages, but it hasn't happened. The full system has been operational nearly a year now and was scaled up from the smaller system so some of it is a year and a half now but I'm not seeing any signs of the pH dropping because I keep topping off with my high pH well water. I put gutters on my greenhouse I just need to get an IBC catch tank to plumb the gutters to to collect rain water.

I do have a wicking bed in my greenhouse that is watered using system water but does not have the drain connected to the system. I have two valves on that bed I can open to water it without having to haul water. It has worked fairly well for certain plaints so far... my kale and swiss chard have grown crazy in the wicking bed. The wicking bed is pretty much the only place I grow kale now although I should probably test the other beds again now that the system is a bit more mature and I know what I'm doing a bit better. The biggest problem I think I have with the wicking bed is that the 'top soil' I bought (bagged) was really muddy mess when I added it. It has compacted and made it really hard to grow other things in the bed. I've mixed in some perlite a few times but it hasn't made a big impact yet. I also had coco coir I put in originally, but I need to keep adding more to loosen the soil up as I replant things -- I don't replant it very often though because the plants in it have been growing consistently for the past year, only a few areas that I pull plants out. I have broccoli that has grown pretty good in the wicking bed, it is a year old and didn't grow much during the summer because it was too hot but now that it's colder it has been producing all winter. I have kohlrabi in there that I have not attempt to harvest yet... we have never had kohlrabi so it is just a test to see if we will eat it.

I grew celery in the garden 2 years ago and when I harvested it I put the roots in the wicking bed. It grew tall but not very thick stalks, my wife said it didn't taste very good. It went to seed before I cut it out and now I have volunteer celery popping up all over in the wicking bed so hopefully that will work out better this time since it is growing from seed.

I need to pick up some more garlic to plant... I have some that came up in the raised beds in the garden that we planted last year that apparently missed getting picked when we pulled everything else out... I know you are supposed to plant garlic in the fall, but now that I have that bed covered with a low tunnel it is thawed out and I should still be able to plant it now and hopefully get a crop this summer.

I'll run over to your thread and see whats going on. I know I read it a few days ago but I'm not sure if I replied to follow it or not.

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '18, 01:17 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Rob, what do you use when you add calcium and potassium?

Also, my large system had high pH for about 18 months. At first I would occasionally add phosphoric acid, but after a while I gave up. It was in the high 7's and never seemed to drop. But finally coming up on 2 years old the pH has dropped to the mid 6s. Now I add potassium bicarbonate to help buffer the system and keep from dropping too much. So don't give up hope on the pH.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 08:46 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

calcium carbonate https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064 ... UTF8&psc=1

potassium bicarbonate https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064 ... UTF8&psc=1

both I believe add to my total hardness which keeps my pH high. I don't add them very often... I haven't tested my pH lately I'll test it tonight and see what it is.

PostPosted: Feb 3rd, '18, 04:51 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

It is beginning to look a lot like planting season. Getting pretty serious with all new seed starting supplies.

Attachment:
IMG_20180202_154358428_BURST001-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180202_154358428_BURST001-800x600.jpg [ 141.52 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]

I bought two each of 128, 72, and 50 hole seed starters and 10 each of the four hole and six hole pots that can be broke apart like you would buy at a nursery. We have quite a bit of random stuff already that we have collected over the years from buying plants but now that we are starting all of our plants I wanted to get a bit better standardized stuff and my wife wants to start flats of flowers for her mom and aunts for mother's day so needed some extra stuff in case we don't get it all back.

Think I paid $36 for all this stuff including about $9 for shipping.

PostPosted: Feb 3rd, '18, 21:47 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
I've heard good things about heated seed beds too. I need to get in gear too on starting seeds.

:?

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '18, 19:25 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Brian I am considering where I would make a permanent heated bed. I've watched a few videos where people build a 4x8 bed with a liner in it then fill the liner with a few inches of sand, lay heat cable down then fill a few more inches of sand, then wet the sand down and turn the heat cable on and it makes a nice seedling area. My problem is I don't have room for it anyplace... I could put a smaller table in the hoop house but it doesn't have electric out there and it isn't heated so it would cost me more to run the heat cable to keep the bed warm. I don't really have room in the greenhouse unless I sacrifice or get rid of something else (in the long term if I set up a bigger fish tank outside then I would be OK getting rid of the second tank in the greenhouse, so then I could put one in the greenhouse where the second IBC is right now. I could put one in my fish room in the house if I get rid of my desk that is in there (I've considered getting rid of it already, I'm using it for setting seeds on now that I rearranged my fish tanks in the room... so that might be the logical choice).

I've had pretty crappy germination rates so far. Probably because I only have one heat mat. The stuff in the tray that has been sitting on the heat mat is germinating a lot better than the trays that aren't... so this might be a project I need to complete fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '18, 20:15 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Last night I built Sam a helper stand. He has been climbing on the bar stools to see what we're doing on the counter so we decided to give him something he is a little less likely to fall off of.

Attachment:
stand1.PNG
stand1.PNG [ 985.93 KiB | Viewed 750 times ]

Attachment:
stand2.PNG
stand2.PNG [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 750 times ]

it folds down to only take about 3" depth to store it in the closet.

Attachment:
stand3.PNG
stand3.PNG [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 750 times ]

PostPosted: Feb 5th, '18, 21:58 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
Cool idea

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 48  Next