All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: Aug 28th, '16, 05:35 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
we ended up buying two sheets of the 6mm thick plastic roofing material for the center of the roof (doubled up for better insulation properties and to make it the same thickness as the plywood next to it) instead of trying to frame in and seal all of the small windows I had planned on using... this makes it so it's plastic overhead too instead of glass so will be safer, and should be a lot stronger and a lot more waterproof too.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 28th, '16, 05:41 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

oh and I think the rafters you are seeing that don't look great are just the one on each end.. they are just toenailed in to a board to hold them in place right now until I finish building the side walls up all the way, then they will get permanently attached, we just temporarily mounted them until I finish building the wall up.

The beam supports were an afterthought... I had not considered how I was going to support the beam, so we ended up building the beam supports inside the greenhouse so it's visible through the window which is unfortunate, but I'll make it work. The side windows are more for ventilation than anything. Then it's attached to the side wall and getting attached more as I finish enclosing the east and west walls.

PostPosted: Aug 28th, '16, 06:58 
Legend Member
Legend Member

It did come together quite nicely. Did you buy all the windows new or salvage?

It has me thinking of what i can do for a fish house next year to free up the current space that is being taken up with expansion to make it all for growing. But, one hurdle at a time.

Adam

PostPosted: Aug 28th, '16, 19:40 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

The Windows and door are all used, my dad saved them for me from houses he was replacing windows in. The only window I bought is the clear plastic for the roof. I have about 30 of the little Windows that are in the east and west walls that I was planning to use more of but changed the plans a bit to make everything easier/stronger, so this is where I landed. I am going to put another window towards the top in the east and west walls to help circulate air once I finish boxing in the upper walls.

PostPosted: Aug 30th, '16, 00:03 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
What are the dimensions of the greenhouse?
What size is the ridge beam?

You will be closed in in no time at this rate.

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, '16, 20:56 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

markb wrote:
What are the dimensions of the greenhouse?
What size is the ridge beam?

You will be closed in in no time at this rate.

greenhouse is 16ftx16ft, I know not ideal, but we'll see how it works out... I just didn't feel like I could get the layout that I wanted going with a longer narrower greenhouse.

The beam is 17ft long 2x8 laminated together (solid one piece, no splices in the two 2x8's) .

I picked up the last piece of metal that I need to finish covering the front main glass wall two nights ago, plus I picked up a rubberized window sealant tape that my dad said he uses to weatherproof windows when he installs them, so I'll cover all of the seams with the rubberized tape then the seams will be covered with treated deck boards and then I'll caulk the bejeezus out of them and paint the treated boards to make them last longer (will be screwed on though that way I can remove and replace them when they do start to get spongy). I also picked up two new windows because what I had left was too big to fit in my peaks how I want them, so I bought two insulated windows that I will be able to attach automatic openers on like what you are using to have them automatically open when the temps rise enough in the summer time (will disable them in the winter time as I want to take the extra heat from the peak and blow it underground in the winter time).

I haven't had time to work on the greenhouse this week because the kiddo hasn't been feeling good so I've been keeping him company at night so the wife can get some rest since she's been up with him so much during the night and he hasn't been sleeping great during the day either this week... then last night I had planned on butchering my last 2 turkeys but they are so big I wasn't able to use the turkey fryer to scald them good so my drill plucker didn't work very well I had to pluck by hand which took a long time so only got one of them done last night, then tonight we have to pack up and head up to the in-law's, family campout in my MIL & FIL's back yard and most of the wife's family has not met our little guy yet so hopefully he'll be feeling better this weekend as he gets passed around the entire family up there...

I'm running out of spending money to use towards the greenhouse too... but I think I have almost everything I need (except need to pick up more house wrap before I finish the plywood) to be able to get it enclosed... so hopefully the cash I have left on hand will be enough to buy insulation and siding and then I'll probably be done with it for this year... will work on insulating the inside over the winter as I have more money set aside, the biggest concern is just getting it enclosed before snow flies so even if I can't use it this winter it should at least let us start seeds in the spring with better luck than we've had starting them in the house the past few years...

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '16, 20:21 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Yeah man I hear you on the sleeplessness, time and cash flow issues. Nonetheless, amazing progress. :notworthy:

PostPosted: Sep 6th, '16, 21:23 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Thanks Boss. I'm hoping that I will be able to finish enclosing the greenhouse this week, by the weekend at the latest... I am planning on putting vinyl siding on it because it is easy to work with and isn't terribly expensive, will match the top half of the house that way, and will be quick to enclose once I get the insulation on.

After being away for a few days my lettuce seems to have doubled in size, my kale, radishes and swiss chard are all looking like they are growing pretty well, and my tomatoes have all sprouted. I will have to thin everything out once I know what looks like it's doing best, but right now I'm trying to get things sucking up the nutrients quickly... I only have 12 rosey red minnows in the tank but there seems to be plenty of nutrients coming because the grow bed is half covered in algae now... I'll have to clean it up the best I can tonight, but was already dark when I got home last night so I just checked to see how low the water level was since I could hear it pretty loudly and took a picture and called it a night...

Attachment:
17.png
17.png [ 705.35 KiB | Viewed 2595 times ]

I have 4 iridescent sharks that have outgrown the 40B tank I have them in at work that I think I'm going to take home and put them in the larger of my fish tanks (although it's not hooked in to the growbed yet so would be running on its own... eventually I'm going to turn them loose in an old co-workers pond (he bought them and that was the plan from the beginning was once they were too big he would take them home and put them in his pond, but then he quit and I haven't talked to him since then so one of these days I need to take them to his house) and I am thinking I'm going to put in an order for 25 yellow perch to get started because my local co-op has a fish day sale on the 16th this month so I need to put in an order by the 15th.. so I haven't decided for sure if I'm going to order them or not since I'm not quite ready yet... worst case I guess I can put them in my 240 gallon aquarium indoors, but it still has a couple inches of saltwater in it that I have not taken the time to clean out yet and fill the tank back up to cycle it with freshwater.)

PostPosted: Sep 7th, '16, 04:25 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: no
Looking at that photo the water level seems way to high it should come no more than 2 in from the top
the gravel should be dry then you will have no algae

PostPosted: Sep 9th, '16, 03:04 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Food&Fish wrote:
Looking at that photo the water level seems way to high it should come no more than 2 in from the top
the gravel should be dry then you will have no algae

this is just a temporary bed, I won't be using it long term I just figured since I had it I would toss it up and see what I could learn and see how long plants will grow in to winter without having the greenhouse completed (I don't think I'll be able to get far enough to keep them alive this winter, but hopefully I can learn a bit to make it go easier when I start building the permanent grow beds). So when I set this bed up I used plumbing parts that were from my aquarium indoors that is temporarily shut down... I didn't want to cut the plumbing up because it's all the proper size to put back in to my aquarium indoors when I decide to get it running again (I have unions PVC welded in to be able to quickly disconnect them, so don't want to cut the unions off and haven't had the time to find other plumbing to put in their place), so the water level is higher than I want it, but I figured it was good enough for now without messing with cutting the plumbing. Plus the grow bed is not supported very well, it's sitting on top of the bottom of the IBC that it was cut from, but I bought it already cut and the guy cut the top off whereas most of what I've seen says to take the tote out and cut the bottom of the cage for the grow bed and put the fish tank back in to the upside down cage from the top of the IBC that way it has the full pallet under for support... as it is I only have a few 2x4's that are helping support the grow bed on top of the fish tank, so the grow bed sags in random areas, I keep adding more chunks of 2x4 under it to try and keep it level but it's not a good situation, but since it's just temporary for a couple months I figured I'd leave it as is for now...

I'm sure I'll need some help once I get to the point where I am ready to build my long term grow beds because I'm not 100% decided on how I want to run the pumps (flood & drain or constant flood). For simplicity I was thinking just leave it flooded, but for energy savings I'm reconsidering having it flood and drain (because eventually I plan to have the pump running on solar panels, so I want to conserve energy as much as possible... for now I have a long extension cord ran from the house to run the pump but this won't work long term and I don't plan on running electric from the house to the greenhouse for a while because then I would have to pull permits. I will wire the inside of the greenhouse to make it easy to hook in later but not going to do the actual grid tie for now.

PostPosted: Sep 10th, '16, 03:22 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

starting to collect barrels to hold my water in the greenhouse for heat, as well as small barrels that will be cleaned out and probably made in to grow beds of some sort. My FIL said they go through one of the 55 gallon barrels about every 2 days when they start chopping their crops for silage (some sort of preservative they spray on their silage), so I'll be able to get a bunch more for free next time I go up there. The small barrels contained round up so will wash them out good and use them for grow beds.

Made a little more progress on the greenhouse, put the last two windows in the peak, finished framing in the rest of the way, now just need to finish the front glass wall and plywood everything and it will be pretty well enclosed.

here is what it's all about... my first attempt at aquaponics is underway. I have a couple kinds of lettuce, kale, swiss chard, radish, tomatoes, peppers, cilantro and onions planted now to see how they do.

something munching on the radish leaves... I found a little green worm near this not sure if it was an inch worm or what it was, I plucked him and tossed him in the fish tank to feed the fish.

PostPosted: Sep 10th, '16, 18:30 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Seems so much bigger than a 16x16 footprint. Coming together quite nicely.

The South wall, is it plexiglass?

Adam

PostPosted: Sep 11th, '16, 07:47 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

the south glazing is made up of four sliding glass door panes.

PostPosted: Sep 11th, '16, 08:09 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I managed to get the last two pieces of roofing metal on today, and I put the boards up to hold the glass door panes in place. I caulked and applied window sealant tape but it rained off and on all day today so I was ducking in between rain clouds. I need to go back and caulk everything to seal up the leaks because now everything flows to the bottom then comes gushing in at the bottom of the windows since they aren't caulked yet... and I will have to paint the wood too once I get some decent non-rainy days to paint outdoors...

I finished enclosing the west wall and got it wrapped with house wrap to protect the plywood.

I got about half of the east wall plywood up and wrapped but was getting tired so gave up for the day...

Here is today's update of the growbed...

you can see the two different kinds of lettuce in the back LH and back center, they are growing like weeds now! radishes in the front LH, swiss chard in the front center, tomatoes in the dead middle, peppers still have not sprouted to the left of the tomatoes, kale in the back RH corner, onions in the middle on the RH side. Everything seems to be growing noticeable amounts every day...

PostPosted: Sep 11th, '16, 18:40 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Wow, looking great. I'm so envious of the closed in feel before Fall. I wish our remodel was getting framed already.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 53  Next