All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Murray cod madness??
PostPosted: Nov 21st, '17, 18:08 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
I baked my first harvested MC a few weeks ago... was pretty good. But last night we had filleted MC dusted in flour and shallow fried in olive oil. It almost made all the strife growing them worth it. I've heard before how highly prized MC is to chefs and I can see why. Moist, tender and sweet.

As for me setting up a tannery for a home business... I have some way to go. Still three days of curing ahead. And then some more work sanding and removing excess fibre. But they already look a bit like someone skilled with a needle could make a rustic looking wallet or purse.
Attachment:
Murray cod leather.PNG
Murray cod leather.PNG [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 940 times ]

My first system
My Murray cod system

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '17, 19:54 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: grudgingly
Looks awesome Dave!

PostPosted: Dec 28th, '17, 19:30 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Nearly the end of my challenge and perhaps last post for this thread... having just harvested two more murray cod. Both were close to 700 grams and just on 37 cm. Healthy looking fish and should give me give me enough leather to get creative. With luck, they'll taste as good as the last lot.

I only have one left... in my sump tank with some similarly sized but much older eel tailed catfish (tandanus tandanus). Will leave it there for a while - interested to see how big it'll get - there's plenty of room in the tank.

As I say above, I won't bother with them again. There are easier/more resilient and faster growing fish that suit my local climate - silver and jade perch.

And when and if I get the urge to take on another challenge, I'm thinking barra or trout... the latter probably better in terms of energy needs (the chiller will run during the day when my solar panels are producing excess power).
Attachment:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 932.43 KiB | Viewed 863 times ]

My first system
My Murray cod system

PostPosted: Jul 28th, '18, 10:45 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

7 months later. Updating... just in case anyone is going to have a go at Murray cod.

Still two left - I said only one left in my previous post but I must have miscounted). They're in a large sump tank. they were in there with some eel tailed catfish (Tandanus). But the catfish have died in recent months - not sure if the MC contributed to that or not.

One of them is about 600 grams by rough guess. Hiding in the corner of the tank and not doing much - I thought it might be because the water is fairly cold. But I was able to put my hand in and almost bring it out of the water before it swam away. It looked fairly healthy nevertheless and I'm hoping it will be OK.

Suggesting that it might not be OK is the fact that the other MC looks like it might be well over 1 kg. They're highly territorial and, after the smaller one swam away from me, there was a lot of splashing before the small one was chased back in to the corner by the big one.

I'd like to move the smaller one but the problem is that my other tank has jade perch - some only about 150 grams. I reckon they would quickly end up as dinner.

No plans to eat the bigger one as yet. They taste great but I'm keen to see if it keeps growing... the tank is big enough i think.

My first system
My Murray cod system

PostPosted: Aug 14th, '18, 08:01 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Last weekend I ate my second last MC... mostly because it was getting badly bullied by its bigger tank mate. It was bigger than I thought... 750 grams (after 26 months so not spectacular growth). Its growth may have been limited in recent months by a strong focus on hiding in a corner.

The remaining MC looks fit and healthy... ready to eat anything that strays in to the large sump tank it now rules alone... I'm guessing it's about 1 kg... very hard to tell without netting it.

I've only ever fed it pellets. Might start throwing the occasional grasshopper or other pest its way.

My first system
My Murray cod system