All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 42  Next
PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 01:02 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
:think: Then I am probably still undersized because I did not factor in any friction loss b/c pumps will be in very close proximity to their use. Another thing to go wrap head around.....I'll get it right on the third iteration :thumbright:

Adam

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 05:01 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I forgot the joys of cycling a system. checking of parameters......I though with having doses of water from the existing system to the new over the past few months would of helped the system along faster. However, it is only until the addition of fishes (Friday) and the biological bacteria I got to help the process, starts me from square 1.

Cloudy water, but I did get them to eat yesterday but thinking that I should have left them in the tank until I was finished doing whatever.......just made things more complicated

all of the other goodies arrive on Tuesday, but I will not be able to do anything until that evening b/c I'll be in Albuquerque all day.....

Adam

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '17, 21:07 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I'm right there with you Adam... I've cycled so many fish tanks in my day I should know better by now... but Saturday I went and bought 25 hybrid bluegills and put them in a 75 gallon tank which has been sitting full of water change water out of my tilapia tanks that I had planned on pumping out to the garden, but I figured it's had an awful lot of crap in it, should have a healthy amount of bacteria to handle 25 little fishies... I cleaned out most of the crap and topped off with new RO water and tossed them in... but the water had been sitting stagnant, no filters running on it, I added a HOB filter and a sponge filter and checked the water after a day and ammonia is way up. Luckily the water is only room temp like 66-68 so wasn't too worried, I pulled the filter floss out of my tilapia tank and put it in this filter thinking it would give them a big dose of bacteria but it doesn't seem like its enough... so I ran to town and spent about $30 buying all of the 'bacteria in a bottle' that the store had. Dumped a couple of them in to give it a boost (one brand I've found which has the actual bacteria you need listed not just some snake oil).

Same thing in the greenhouse... I have my 200 gal IBC that has been sitting with varying levels of water in it (been using it as a top off tank with a small pump to pump water in to the AP system on a timer to keep the sump filled up because I have a lot of evaporation in the greenhouse). Last time I cleaned tilapia out of the AP system I had got a couple really small ones so I tossed them in to the 200 IBC so its had a couple of fish in it that I've been sporadically tossing a few pieces of food to... I tossed in 25 channel cats and a day later guess what... ammonia and nitrites. Tested my AP water because I hadn't done it in a year and had nitrites there too (had a few fish die is why I decided to test the AP water... think that was linked to me cleaning out my DWC bed that had a lot of accumulation in it).

So last night I spent a couple of hours hooking the 200 IBC in to my AP system that way I could use the power of my grow beds to clean the water for the channel cats. Tested this morning and the catfish tank appears to be pretty much in the clear (still a small amount of ammonia but not enough to worry me much). Still have problems in the bluegill tank in the house though so I dumped another bottle of bacteria in this morning... if it's not better tonight I'll do a 30 gallon water change (75 gal tank).

PostPosted: Sep 19th, '17, 04:07 
Legend Member
Legend Member

That oh crap moment when you go to do maintenance. I was cleaning out debris from my future SUP and the nut on the outside broke.

Added the 8" pipe 30" long for the stilling well to replace the 5 gallons bucket.

Since I had to take things apart, decided to install knife valves to redirect/isolate flow for maintenance in the future.

Going to leave the bio balls in the sump in preparation for the kaldness like media arriving tomorrow.

Adam

PostPosted: Sep 19th, '17, 04:15 
Legend Member
Legend Member

My wife loves me.....

And all these seeds and no place to grow them, (yet)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sep 19th, '17, 09:30 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
I do like the shower drain outlet for the RFS,simple but neat,i wanted to do a flat plate outlet for my RFS but for the life of me there is nothing available locally so I might copy this.
First time I have seen seeds germinated still in the Tomato really cool.

PostPosted: Sep 19th, '17, 20:22 
Legend Member
Legend Member

The bioballs that I had in the SUP to try and get things going (needed a place to put after the nut on the bulkhead seal broke. Left it in the sump b/c the kaldness media arrives today....

https://youtu.be/T0-ZmGgAOQQ

below are attempts to figure out how to embed so can view from forum instead of being directed to site....and tips/tricks?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/T0-ZmGgAOQQ[/youtube]

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T0-ZmGgAOQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T0-ZmGgAOQQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: Sep 19th, '17, 20:34 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

dasAndy you just have to leave the tomato sit on the counter a little longer... seen it many time lol...

BroAndy you should post that picture in the 'seeds to seedlings' thread for how to successfully germinate seeds! LOL

PostPosted: Sep 19th, '17, 21:40 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: grudgingly
Lemme see...

okay, when I click on your link and look at the URL of the page I'm sent to, I get https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0-ZmGg ... e=youtu.be

the bit you have to paste into the [ youtube ] [ /youtube ] tags is after the v= and before any &feature stuff

so let's see if this works:

ETA: looks like if you have the link in the youtu.be format, you just have to paste in the bit after the /

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '17, 00:58 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Tapatalk auto links as I see. Pasting/embedding via the online forum does not yield the player window in the online.

Of course this was playing with until it was all hands on deck to get out the door sooner than expected for on the road by 630.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '17, 08:48 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Media, pumps, and food OH MY! Image

Knock off kaldness, but can't complain for 4.375ft^3 @ 115.00

I have to either go to Colorado or order online my bulkhead fittings because TSC was out of the sizes I needed in Alb and Santa Fe.

Adam

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '17, 18:55 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Mel, Thanks for the help! It also appears that the full editor page now shows updated information, or it was way to early and I guess I needed my glasses earlier that usual :nerd:

Adam

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '17, 22:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
What size do you need Adam?

PostPosted: Sep 21st, '17, 00:50 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

our TSC is about useless for bulkhead fittings... all of our stores around here are for that matter. TSC carried the bulkhead fittings for stock tanks which are just MASSIVE bulk of plastic, and they charge a small fortune for them. The other stores have a good selection of small (less than 1") bulkheads but only a couple of larger sizes, so I ended up ordering mine online.

PostPosted: Sep 21st, '17, 01:25 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Well, there is supposedly a good selection from 1/2" up to 3" and thought I'd be able to find something while in town yesterday. I just happened to grab the 3/4 when I was picking up the splitter and glad I did.

After 3/4", 1" and 1 1/2" just about covers my range. If I end up going to Bayfield (trailer shopping) I'll give a heads up and if you are in the area, meet or I'll drive farther west and maybe meet?

Adam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 42  Next