All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
PostPosted: Feb 1st, '18, 09:20 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
I am wondering if a digital multimeter with an amp clamp can do the same thing?

Amp clamp goes around either the hot or neutral of a breaker and will read load. I wonder if I take an old extension cord and expose the wires if I can achieve same thing plugged in to read the specific device connected (like Kill-a-watt) instead of everything on circuit?

In Albuquerque today so no progress....... BUT, bringing the first SUP online with the large IBC Settling, my FT is crystal clear. All parameters for general water conditions are within a tenth and the only thing I need to get closer is temperature.

Water change tomorrow to test how things clean and hopefully I'll have fish in the tank by this weekend and fist growbed built as well as some Dutch Buckets online......

Adam

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '18, 10:11 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Upon further review, I'll forgo extension cord rigging and go with an AC line splitter. Already have a meter up to 400 A, which I should never even come close to touching working with 15/20 amp outlets.

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '18, 19:54 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
I hadn't seen these. It looks great. What are you planning for the water temperature control?

:?

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '18, 22:07 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Right now, I have been using aquarium heaters (and boy does it spin the meter).

I am awaiting progression in one of the koi builds to see how they incorporate on-demand gas water heater, but more suited for a framed enclosure rather than a GH?

With this winter, only running heat through the night (~225 gallons test), I have been able to keep around 58. If sunshines, and I leave second layer of film down, can bump 8-10 degrees higher.

Temperature is still a u known variable for me at this time.....

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '18, 22:20 
A posting God
A posting God

I hear that. The morning of the lunar eclipse it was ~38F at 5:00 am over here. I don't mind losing the ultra cold weather at night, but no snow is going to hurt us badly.

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '18, 22:25 
A posting God
A posting God

I can't wait for your report on the innards and workings of this SUF filter. I want to do one for the Rio Gallinas geodesic dome project.
Brian

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 00:20 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
boss wrote:
I hear that. The morning of the lunar eclipse it was ~38F at 5:00 am over here. I don't mind losing the ultra cold weather at night, but no snow is going to hurt us badly.

Same here, I have not heated the green house for a week. The stored heat from the day keeps it at 40 to 45 at night. Outside day temps are in the mid 50s.
We have 2 inches of snow left. Something has to change drastically. All ponds are empty.
I have 4 huge bucks that come to the house and drink from the horse trough, each evening.

Not a good sign, considering the water situation.

Have to think about a very long fire season.

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 17:27 
Legend Member
Legend Member

boss wrote:
I can't wait for your report on the innards and workings of this SUF filter. I want to do one for the Rio Gallinas geodesic dome project.
Brian

The filter performed as expected. Trapped lots of debris (mainly the floating /growing algae bits but cleaned it yesterday and it's back to work. I am considering doing a proper sand and gravel filter on the return side (waterfall) with UV in line to try and make the water as clean/sterile as possible. I am trying to source the PVC bits without having to pay 50% markup by purchasing from a vendor in the koi forums. (always something :) )

I am at the end of reusing what I can from the old systems and will soon be back working with new material.

Here is the connection from the first SUP to the second. I did not cart the box of media over to fill it, but the general output is around 15 GPM.

I never did get the morning shot of the sieve collection, but here it collection after 30 minutes of bringing the second SUP online. I dropped an air stone in and I am always cleaning sides/bottom to get rid of the algae and things are looking much better in the FT and thing there are going to be some new residents this weekend.

The first pump I had (10k l/hr) was oversized for the secondary expansion but undersized for the current one. This pump has a range of 12-14k l/hr and also uses 3 different wattage settings (60, 70, and 80) depending upon the flow desired.

Here is the make and the body of the pump (submerged/in line) is to the left of the sieve (pictured above) . Initially, it is performing well with far less electrical usage than similar pumps rated for the same flow. The final verdict is not ready to be cast until I have some more hours, but happy so far and price point was 149.99.

Adam

Last edited by BroHay on Feb 2nd, '18, 17:59, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 17:40 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I should note that only the one pump is running the system and everything else is by gravity.

I am hoping to combine the return of the DWC (gravity) with the return of this pump leg (pressurized) for the waterfall return back to the FT.

My thoughts are to use the pressurized return output to help the gravity flow overcome the heights needed to get back I to the tank and complete the partial/full circuit in the system?

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '18, 20:14 
Legend Member
Legend Member

So yesterday, I decided it was time to set the current batch of koi into their new pond. It was almost a straight shift from the original test system 100 gallon tank to the large 1300 setup.

They love the temporary return that will eventually feed the growbeds.

Output is right under 14 GPM which will be feeding a little over 2800 gallons of GB (~3 hr 20 minutes per cycle) . They will be fed from one end and output will be combined for the return and mixed with the bypass leg of the return from the sieve which should fill up and make the waterfall? (that is my hope and first plan of attack anyway)

Adam

Last edited by BroHay on Feb 8th, '18, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '18, 20:44 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Still have 19 more inside the house. I am going to add the larger ones into the GH when I get the pH bumped up to be closer to the GH levels. The smaller ones, I'll keep inside until it warms up this spring (about 8 of them)

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '18, 01:45 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Wow, those are very pretty fish.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '18, 21:08 
Legend Member
Legend Member

dstjohn99 wrote:
Thank you.

Still would like some tilapia.

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 9th, '18, 22:07 
A posting God
A posting God

Beautiful Koi indeed. Were they in the house as well? They look lively as if they came from a heated tank. We did not have a fire in the wood stove at night on this side of the Sangre de Christo mtns three times in the last two weeks. Dog water wasn't frozen either. I don't mind warmer weather, but the lack of snow so far this Winter may lead to trouble over here. I haven't checked the water temps in our Koi pond in a month however the Koi are not active. It is really nice to see yours active.

PostPosted: Feb 10th, '18, 00:13 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
BroHay wrote:
dstjohn99 wrote:
Thank you.

Still would like some tilapia.

Adam

Beautiful looking fish, I have been toying with the ideal of swapping over to Koi,it’s just the horrible cost for doing so thiats holding me back at the moment, I really fancy the ideal of breeding them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next