All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 42  Next
PostPosted: Feb 10th, '18, 06:02 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
boss wrote:
Beautiful Koi indeed. Were they in the house as well? They look lively as if they came from a heated tank. We did not have a fire in the wood stove at night on this side of the Sangre de Christo mtns three times in the last two weeks. Dog water wasn't frozen either. I don't mind warmer weather, but the lack of snow so far this Winter may lead to trouble over here. I haven't checked the water temps in our Koi pond in a month however the Koi are not active. It is really nice to see yours active.
No, this was the group that was powering the original test system (29 total) . I was barely feeding them so it was doing enough to keep things sustained, but not go hog wild.

The sweet spot I have found is 58 for the temperature and yes, heat is being applied in the form of a 1000 watt heater.

I was having an 8-10 degree swing, now having about 2.5.

Adam

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 10th, '18, 06:19 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Call an audible, shortened the length by 7' so I could make a bed perpendicular to this one at the front.

Going to use 2' concrete stakes on the outside to support. Interior is just to hold level. Going to fill the bottom so my overall depth is 10" and hopefully gives me enough to go over the edges.

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 10th, '18, 06:20 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Material is finally getting used up and space is opening up.

Now, soon to be picking brains for best seedling germination techniques.....

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '18, 06:18 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Just when I was hitting my stride and getting things done, I had to stop and go get dog food and coffee b/c was told we were out.

I am not a fan of dura-scrim for it is like cardboard and not like the epdm liner (or else I got a lesser grade for it is not very pliable.

Origami anyone?

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '18, 09:48 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
Super neat liner folding, super looking job all around.... :thumbright:

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '18, 19:26 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Looking back at picture, I meant to put fold against the short side and hide. Hopefully I can correct without too much trouble?

I went back and looked at the product description and my initial comments were all addressed under its description. :laugh: like cardboard, and if you want pliable, use epdm.......

My bed depth is right around 11 1/2" deep. I got ahead of myself and wanted to see if there was enough material to secure the sides. I probably should of brought the bottom depth up an 1" but I had accidentally made a cut in my corner that locked me into that initial depth. Thankfully it all worked out.

I could have raised the bottom at the other end a bit if needed.

I am going to come over the side for the inlet and forego punching a hole for a bulkhead fitting b/c ill have to recess it into the wood farther than what is needed for a normal 2x?. I had picked up some straight pond returns for the original tank construction that I am hoping will fit the bill and work for the outlet. Punch hole, silicone, and screw in place. If not, only one bulkhead to recess.

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 11th, '18, 21:30 
Legend Member
Legend Member

It is fun watching them do their thing.

The catfish was originally part of the first group of koi and was kind of aggressive. So, it was moved to the sump tank and resided by itself. When I moved them into the new setup, I thought what to do with it, and took a chance......

So far, everyone seems to be playing nicely together.

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 12th, '18, 00:13 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Looks like a painting.

PostPosted: Feb 12th, '18, 04:37 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
All coming on well and stunning looking fish :thumbright:

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

PostPosted: Feb 15th, '18, 17:43 
Legend Member
Legend Member

It is time for the annual bit of snow (less than 6" so far) to knock out our power (or maybe we did not pay bill :yikes:)

Not worried about large tank (at this time), but having to cycle water manually for the aquarium inside.......

I am thinking that changes need to happen to prevent this occurring again with our current setup or wherever we end up.....maybe go drag generator out to get the power restored faster?

Hi-hooooooooooooooo.......

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 15th, '18, 21:51 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Good morning
Quote:
Just when I was hitting my stride and getting things done, I had to stop and go get dog food and coffee b/c was told we were out.

Attachment:
Hard-working-Gnomes.jpg
Hard-working-Gnomes.jpg [ 54.29 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]

You aren't becoming a greenhouse Gnome I hope? Lucky for me, I know how efficiently you work so probably not, hehe.
So that is what Dura-scrim looks like. How thick is that stuff? No problem creating a crisp edge it looks like.
Quote:
Now, soon to be picking brains for best seedling germination techniques.....

I've got to get seeds started as well. I've heard about heated seed beds, but I don't know much about them. One of the issues I faced starting seeds this time of year was keeping even temperature on the trays.
Did the power go out?
We hoped we'd get something from this storm, perhaps rain as it is quite warm outside. Ground is dry this morning.
Attachment:
Feels-like-29F-Not.png
Feels-like-29F-Not.png [ 97.25 KiB | Viewed 773 times ]

Sigh.
Your build is stellar, Adam.

PostPosted: Feb 15th, '18, 22:27 
Legend Member
Legend Member

It is an HDPE layered liner that is probably 1/4 of the thickness a cardboard box.

I went and got water and filled up the growbeds (pics later today) and was surprised at how wrinkle free the liner was after fill.

So thankful for the snow falling this morning and like clock work the power was restored @ 4:30 this morning and back off for probably another 5 hours. Seems to happen every year :smh:. Think they would have a better plan in place by now after 8 years.....

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 15th, '18, 22:53 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
That looks marvelous. What power company do you have? We get pretty much the same quality here with Mora San Miguel electric Co-Op. We just need the snow to make us get the regular outage. One of my things on my To-do list is rebuild the DIY alternator on our Axial-Flux wind turbine which normally provides us with with around 2400 amp hours of back up power.
Brian

PostPosted: Feb 15th, '18, 23:10 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Yes, thinking about a backup plan for the tank.

I was messing around the other day and just dropped an air stone in a section of 2" pipe and had water coming 6-8 inches above the water line. I quickly made some connections to pump over to my sieve and the output was close to my gravity feed inlet to the sieve.

To help Kickstart, to give a better query when searching to learn about backup, amp hour is the limiting factor of a backup design?

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 15th, '18, 23:12 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Your system (operational) is capable of running 2400 watts for how many hours with the batteries?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 42  Next