All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
PostPosted: Feb 15th, '18, 23:37 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
gosh I thought dura scrim was like 6-12 mil vs. 40mil of EPDM and you think it's tougher to fold?

I will probably still end up with some when I end up building my bigger fish tank because I want the white bottom so I can actually see the fish. Too bad I can't get a white EPDM!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 15th, '18, 23:43 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
To calculate amp hours use power formulas for example: http://photovoltaic-software.com/PV-solar-energy-calculation.php you can use your Kill-o-watt type meter to read real time power consumption as well.

We have 12 12volt gel-cell batteries @ 134 AH each. The inverter is 12 vDC to 120 vAC pure sinewave with something like 87% efficiency. My turbine is an 800 watt model with ten foot total blades. Gunagulla can tell us about renewable power efficiency, as he is completely off grid. I read that 12 volts DC is the least effective way to go. In order to keep our system inexpensive I choose to wire a separate and completely independent circuit in the house for renewable energy. This means I don't need grid-tie equipment, but can absolutely not intermingle devices with grid power and RE. Separate grounds as well.

:?

PostPosted: Feb 15th, '18, 23:53 
Legend Member
Legend Member

rininger85 wrote:
gosh I thought dura scrim was like 6-12 mil vs. 40mil of EPDM and you think it's tougher to fold?

I will probably still end up with some when I end up building my bigger fish tank because I want the white bottom so I can actually see the fish. Too bad I can't get a white EPDM!

It is not tougher to fold, just less pliable and keeps somewhat of a memory if you have to go and refold (after water weight added) . One has to be more precise with with making sure good substrate to support and I should of raised the floor up another 1" to ensure I had enough to secure along the sides.

Adam

Last edited by BroHay on Feb 15th, '18, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb 15th, '18, 23:58 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Firestone roofing or rv roofing - it comes in white.....

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 17th, '18, 21:23 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

The roofing stuff isn't made the same as the pond liner, has chemical additives not safe for food production.

PostPosted: Feb 17th, '18, 21:39 
Legend Member
Legend Member

white/blue/pebble/tan

I may (or may not) have paid close attention to the initial web search :oops:

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 18th, '18, 12:03 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Bringing the bed online

So, I'll end up tying the return lines and feed through an external pump to return

Covered for the time being

I am happy with the gravity inlet. Hopefully I will be able to have enough flow to handle 4 more beds.

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 18th, '18, 21:17 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Note to self (I'll never listen.....)

Do NOT try and bring things online when it is late in the day UNLESS you want to spend a few hours tweaking when things are running by gravity and going back to pressurized lines.

With the return line, to help get some rotational force churning, was pumping more than appeared b/c it kept filling my sieve sump higher than I wanted for normal operation.

Just waiting to the sun to rise so I can see how successful I was before I decided it was time to stop for the day.....

Also gives me a chance to test the safety features of the pump for low water sensing.

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 20th, '18, 01:47 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Yay for progress Adam... it will take some time to work out all of the fine tuning anyways... glad to see you're almost ready for planting!

So trying to figure out your flow here... the IBC looks like it runs through the filtration and looks like it is your highest point, so you overflow from the IBC to filters and also to the fish tank? Then from filters to the DWC then overflow to a pump to pump back in to the fish tank... so you're running two pumps since you'd have to pump back in to the IBC too?

That bed is a little over 16ft long?

PostPosted: Feb 20th, '18, 02:41 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Beat you to punch #535 (at least I think :idk: )

IBC is highest, on to be able to re-use all the blue barrels from original expansion. I have IBC coming from bottom with a 8" difference with the in stilling well of the SUF. Then cascade down 4-6" until it hits last barrel where the outlet height is the same elevation as the top of the DWC beds (+/- 1/2")

Bed is just over 16 feet because I was going to turn one 90 on the front end and give me options. Plus I lost my two feet when my wife told me that she wanted pipework buried and more viewing space to observe koi along the front t tank unobstructed.

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '18, 19:04 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I'm not sure about punch #535, I was just a bit concerned about the failure mode of having two pumps in the system. I suppose as long as you have a safety overflow wherever the pumps are pumping to that way if the water level increases in one tank at a faster rate it doesn't end up on the floor it should be OK.

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '18, 21:51 
A posting God
A posting God

Oh sweet!
I'm right there with you on turning a project on and seeing the results immediately after a long day of work.
The way you did the water levels is brilliant.
What flow rate through the DWCs are you going for?
I bet you are already out here.
Have a great day

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '18, 23:27 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
Looking good Adam.

PostPosted: Feb 23rd, '18, 01:24 
Legend Member
Legend Member

boss wrote:
Oh sweet!
I'm right there with you on turning a project on and seeing the results immediately after a long day of work.
The way you did the water levels is brilliant.
What flow rate through the DWCs are you going for?
I bet you are already out here.
Have a great day
Based on the revised size and current output of the supply, I'll have about a 3.5 hour in the beds before picked up by the return and returned back to FT.

I need to play around with some elevations and see if I can get things to flow from the beds and be collected in such a manner that can be joined with the flow of the immediate return to FT from sieve for the secondary loop.

I may decouple the beds have the last blue barrell be the point of direction change. The flow was close to 15 GPM and returned via gravity. Then close that loop and have it cycle through the IBC with return to it instead of the FT.

Who knows at this point b/c I am trying to tackle a somewhat pond for wife and powering system, so it is not the best approach since she is saying do it without giving consideration to the overall design.

Meanwhile,

another 6" has fallen and my back decide to go out last night after shoveling snow from yesterday. Not doing a lot today and more o the way :yay:

Adam

PostPosted: Feb 23rd, '18, 03:54 
A posting God
A posting God

Yay and ouch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 600 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next