All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 17th, '18, 01:40 

Are you human?: YES
Hey :wave:

I'm new to this forum, and just wanted to show of my system as an inspiration to others, and maybe have some questions answered.

I got interested in aquaponics due to the book, Aquaponic Gardening by Bernstein, which I saw at a friends house, and then I had to make my own system!

For me, the main reason for the system is just to have something nice to look at, and to test out the principles of aquaponics. So when I come home from a long day at work I can go onto the warm bathroom floor and admire how everything just works.

My system has run stable now since Sep of 2016. It is really good at growing Basil, :D but not much else.. I don't know why. I think its due to the system lacking worms, and maybe media depth which is just 14cm or 5.5 inch. The system started out with 15 Cardinal Tetras and has stabilised on 8. yeah, that life. I also have 3 SAE (Siamese Algae Eater) , and some Japanese Assassins Snails. It is a basic Flood and Drain system.

PH level has been stable for the whole period at 6.8 PH.

I also have a bit for black algae in the tank. Also not sure what the reason for this is. Maybe it due to lack of nitrate (and dim lighting)?

Im happy with the system, only maintenance is to keep the water levels , and sometimes clear out the inside of the media guard.

Other plants than Basil seem to get white specks on their leaves after a while or they don't grow that much. Probably some nutrient deficiency. Not sure what to do about it. Maybe someone here knows? Lacking iron? But why is the basil so green? Hmm.. mystery. I'm trying out different types of plants to find one that has the same growth requirements as Basil. Anyone here know that type of plant? I could add worms. But when they die, they stink.. So I want to keep my system worm free for now.

The shelf that hold the system are the cheapest shelf at IKEA , which I reinforced and gave it some coats of varnish.

Enjoy.

Attachment:
seng.jpg
seng.jpg [ 185.41 KiB | Viewed 1466 times ]

Attachment:
system.jpg
system.jpg [ 110.88 KiB | Viewed 1466 times ]

Attachment:
basil.jpg
basil.jpg [ 109.04 KiB | Viewed 1466 times ]

Attachment:
tank.jpg
tank.jpg [ 202.38 KiB | Viewed 1466 times ]

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 19th, '18, 16:11 

Are you human?: YES
Welcome to the forum Leafy :wave: . Glad you're enjoying the AP system.

Tough to tell from your description what is happening with the other plants besides basil. Next time you see the white spots see if you can get a few good pics of the spots as well as where they appear first (old growth or new) - might be able to give you more to work from at that point.

Cheers