All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '17, 04:07 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
A bit of drama over the weekend... i have been harvesting 1-2 pounds of greens a day, juicing, eating raw, making sauerkraut.. i was working around the rafts and i saw something black with a tail under the leaves slip into the water.... 

It really messed with my mind, i wasnt going to be able to harvest anymore greens until i figured out what it was... so i took out each raft one at a time until i caught him.

In this area there is a very poisonous water viper named water moccasin or in this area that are often call "cottonmouth".  As it turns out it was something harmless.. I let him go out on the easement after explaining to him he was not welcome.

Does anyone have any experience with these vibrating/inaudible snake  repelant solutions? like https://www.amazon.com/Vensmile-Repellent-Repeller-Control-Waterproof/dp/B01N5JRXEH/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497894749&sr=8-2&keywords=snake+repellent+for+yard

Sorry some of the pictures are blurry i was working in water , plus it was 95 degrees outside hot sweaty and humid and i think i got the lens wet.

I have never tried lacto fermentation.. as my father used to tell me, "you wont learn any younger"

Reproducing Sunfish (Bluegill/Redear/Crappie)
Feed training Crappie
Breeding tilapia

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '17, 04:42 

Are you human?: YES
That would have got my adrenaline flowing :headbang:

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '17, 11:02 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Yikes. I just found a Garter Snake in our greenhouse. He was near where the Spade Foot Toad had been hanging around. The Toads were in the sump. It was when I scooped the toads out that I saw the snake. Nothing like finding a snake looking down on you.

:?

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '17, 18:04 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
lol... well I learned something new today... I've been told to watch out for the cottonmouths at our property in TN, didn't realize they were water moccasins, we have water moccasins here in Michigan, although they might be different because I don't think they are venomous... I don't think we really have very dangerous snakes here other than the Michigan rattler. If there are other venomous snakes here I don't think they are deadly to adults (might be for young/old though).

I keep running in to garter snakes every couple of days and it always scares me when I see them but just because they are always someplace I didn't expect them to be. My wife freaks out about snakes, she found a garter snake in the garden last week, I just picked him up and told him not to come back then tossed him out in the tall grass field. Then a couple days later I was in the garden and something was moving under my weed mat, I thought maybe a mouse or mole or something so I was stomping trying to squish it and another little snake came out. It was a different color and more aggressive so not sure what it was, but I chased it out of the garden, didn't pick him up and haven't seen him back since.

Discovered a garter snake living on the edge of the greenhouse last weekend. I had some wood laying on one side and boxes of vinyl siding on another side and I've noticed mice living under them so I started to clean up the wood and moved a box of siding to work on putting it up and found 3 mice and a garter snake. I managed to kill two of the mice but the third one disappeared. Pest control to keep those critters OUT of the greenhouse!

PostPosted: Jun 22nd, '17, 05:47 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Some pictures of the bluegill tank at feeding time.. theres about 300 bg and res in this tank give or take

Feed training Crappie
Breeding tilapia

PostPosted: Oct 1st, '17, 04:38 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Just a tiny update. Fish are still alive and made it through the summer.

~100 large-ish ~1 lb channel catfish outdoors in 1250 gallon tank (aquaponics)
~12 feed trained black crappie indoors (aquaculture)

The crappie part starts at about :52

I just noticed my picture links are broken... I moved my domain and didnt realize this part isnt working. I will fix it sometime this weekend,.

Feed training Crappie
Breeding tilapia