All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '18, 20:35 

Are you human?: yes
A friend/neighbor purchased a home 18 months ago that was formerly owned by an Australian couple. As my neighbor had no interest in aquaponics, I moved the greenhouse and AP setup to my home.

The system has not been used for some time, and I am doing my best to get it reassembled and running. At the very least, I would like to get water cycling to begin growing veggies. I hope to take an introductory aquaponics class during the next couple months.

The greenhouse is oriented roughly E-W, with the door on the East. Shade cloth will be required in the Texas sun, though I'm not sure how much filtration will be required. The underlying ground is currently covered with several sheets of cardboard over which I will add crushed granite. It looks like I will need to replace the drain piping (to add a system drain) and drip lines (which no longer have tight connections).

The system consists of:
- a 150 gallon tank equipped with airpump/stone and two pumps - one for providing water to media bed, and another for two drip lines.
- 18 individual grow buckets with various media (one seems to be entirely charcoal?!)
- floating raft bed
- ~8' x 4' media bed
- worm composting basin (I think)
Attachment:
20180101_224408147_iOS.jpg
20180101_224408147_iOS.jpg [ 224.54 KiB | Viewed 840 times ]

Attachment:
20180101_224620200_iOS.jpg
20180101_224620200_iOS.jpg [ 220.65 KiB | Viewed 840 times ]

I have several initial questions:

1) regarding the media bed, where should the overflow holes be located in the drain pipe? Mine are pretty close to the base of the bed (maybe 1/2" to 1" above it).

2) the media bed material is granite aggregate, which now has some fines (pieces that have chipped off during transport and installation). While there is a filter around the drain pipe, should I attempt to again wash the rock before connecting the bed to the tank? Does the tube providing water for this bed simply sit on the media at one corner of the bed?

3) it appears that I have two tubes to inject air in to the raft bed. Is it suitable for these to be both located at one end of the bed?
Attachment:
20180101_224453826_iOS.jpg
20180101_224453826_iOS.jpg [ 244.74 KiB | Viewed 840 times ]

I appreciate any advice as I continue the set-up!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '18, 09:53 

My system is mostly up and running. I started with 40 goldfish, of which about 36 or 37 remain. I added shade cloth and removed some upper panels due to heat over 100 deg. F on some spring days.

The lettuce has grown best, but growth rate of basil and oregano has been frustratingly slow. I bought some tomato Plants at a farmers market. I added one in the Greenhouse and the remaining in the traditional garden. The tomato plant in the greenhouse took off initially, growing faster than those outside, but now the leaves are turning tan, as are the leaves on a bean plant. Squash leaves are beginning to discolor around the edges. The tomato plant is in a container with coconut coir or peat moss, topped with expanded clay. It's on drip irrigation 3x / day. The affected bean plant is in a similar container. The squash are on an hourly flood and drain.

When I tested water last week, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia were negligible but pH was high (about 8.1). The outside five tomato plants from the farmers market have a similar condition, so it may be unrelated to aquaponics, but I’m a bit nervous that a similar condition seems to be appearing on other greenhouse plants. Any ideas or diagnosis?

Thanks, Will

Overall Greehouse
Attachment:
IMG_5987a.jpg
IMG_5987a.jpg [ 263.79 KiB | Viewed 551 times ]

Tomato Plant
Attachment:
IMG_5988a.jpg
IMG_5988a.jpg [ 308.89 KiB | Viewed 551 times ]

Close-up of tomato leaves
Attachment:
IMG_5989a.jpg
IMG_5989a.jpg [ 246.03 KiB | Viewed 551 times ]

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '18, 11:21 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Yup
Hiya bridgie and a late welcome to the forum. Sometimes with first posters other forum members can spend time answering q's and the op never returns. Personally I wait for a second post before replying. ;)
So, nice work with the set up, well done.
Generally it takes time for the beds to become the biomass required for growing food hungry plants like tomato's so it's recommended they are only grown once the beds have matured. Having said this there are, of course, exceptions.
Those tomato leaves look spider mite damaged.
The air for the raft should be equally separated in the bed.
Are you running constant flood, flood and drain (siphon) or timed f&d in the gbs?

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '18, 19:51 

Thanks, skeggley!

I'll hit the plants with a little insecticidal soap and see if it slows. I've battled an aphid infestation on broccoli already.

The raft definitely needs more air distribution, as I have a single long air stone at one end. I added in a 5 gallon swirl filter for the raft and the pipes, with landscape filter fabric to catch particles. Over the weekend, I replaced the fabric with a home air conditioning filter to see if that improves water quality.

The grow bed pump runs 18-20 minutes per hour, with water coming within 1.5" or so of the top of hydroton, and remaining at that level for a couple minutes before completely draining.

The grow boxes have drip irrigation 3x/day for about an hour each cycle. I need to check moisture levels in the boxes - it may be that the peat moss or coconut coir holds too much water for it to run so often.

Appreciate the response!!

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '18, 21:53 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Yup
Aha welcome to the world of AP. Insecticidal soap in the water won't be so good for the fish, try not to get too much on the media.
Is the raft constant flow? I used some a/c filter media in some pipe work to clean the water and nearly got caught out with it blocking and redirecting the flow.

PostPosted: Apr 11th, '18, 21:56 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Predominantly
Welcome bridgie!

If you need any additional shade cloth and will happen to be in the Dallas area any time soon, I'd be happy to give you plenty for free. I am (at least for now) shutting down my aquaponics systems, and have a LOT of spare shade cloth. it is used, but in good shape.

PostPosted: Apr 13th, '18, 09:40 

Shelgeyr - thanks for the offer of shade cloth. Hopefully I'm *covered* at this point - I think what I really need (and soon) will be additional ventilation!

skeggley - I got an email from a local pond installer / nursery today stating they've received lots of calls regarding a problem similar to mine, and attribute it to a cold snap we had last weekend. Greenhouse didn't drop much below 40 to 45 dF, but maybe the rapid temperature change was the cause. I'll keep watching.

The raft and horizontal grow tubes are constant flow. I checked the AC filter today, and build-up doesn't look too significant 5 days in. It's a foot diameter, so I'm hoping to get at least 2 weeks between cleaning/replacement.