All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Apr 27th, '18, 19:36 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: been called worse
Thanks again Joblow,

I put the inline tap in this arvo/evening and it helped BUT I noticed the tap needs to be nearly full on otherwise the fishtanks overflows( so made an overflow) and stuffing around with flow stops my venturi(PITA). Also the sound of water constantly pouring into the sump might drive my neighbours up the wall so like you suggested I'll extend the pipe below to a long pipe with small holes and end cap to soften the noise if possible.
Trying to get the flow right so the venturi works without pumping too much into the fish tank will be tomorrows project along with planting out my seedlings. Have the venturi pipe going only 1/3 down into FT so might make a longer one down towards the bottom and see how it works and also downsize to 20mm and see which one gives me the best bubbles.

Attachments:
sump3.jpg
sump3.jpg [ 45.37 KiB | Viewed 4264 times ]
sump2.jpg
sump2.jpg [ 59.77 KiB | Viewed 4264 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 30th, '18, 19:04 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

So had today off and spent most of it monitoring the system recording flood & drain times and experienced my first heart stopping moment. The pallet the FT was on collapsed in the corner tilting it on the pi$$ so had to scoop out 600L before I could lift it and put pavers underneath all before picking son up from school.
Test results are Ph -7.6 Am 0.25 NO2 0.25 NO3 0 so nothing fantastic Ive been adding 3 x caps of powerfeed for 3 x nights and am getting used to doing the testing after I forgot to add the 2nd ammonia bottle solution so in my pics the 2nd tube looks nearly clear until I clicked and did it properly. My venturi I added a length of 20mm pipe with a cap on the end and then drilled a series of holes just above the cap which worked really well. Went to my local fish farm and brought a AC/DC backup air pump and after a brief discussion picked son up from school then got home and assembled the new pump and was happy with the air bubbles being put out. This unit can be left running on AC if required. Hopefully I haven't planted too many seedlings in the GB but knowing my luck I'll lose a lot of them.
1 GB fills in 14 mins and drains in 3 mins and the other GB fills in 15 mins and drains in 3 mins,so happy with that.
Any suggestions or am I doing anything wrong please let me know as I'm learning on the go but enjoying it( felt like high school science class with the testing today) and to think I hated science too.

Attachments:
tests300418.jpg
tests300418.jpg [ 44.42 KiB | Viewed 4221 times ]
GB3.jpg
GB3.jpg [ 46.45 KiB | Viewed 4221 times ]
GB2.jpg
GB2.jpg [ 68.94 KiB | Viewed 4221 times ]
Am300418.jpg
Am300418.jpg [ 35.79 KiB | Viewed 4221 times ]
PostPosted: Apr 30th, '18, 19:53 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Reluctant vertebrate
Hey Liney,

Looks good. Imagine the grow bed subsiding would have given you a fright. Can't under estimate the weight of those grow beds. I did with mine and needed extra support.

The cladding on the tanks looks neat.

I've been using the dip test for testing water quality but have just posted a bit of a rant on the price of those API Master Test kits. I take it you got yours from woodvale? I just received a pH meter that I got off eBay. It was about $20 for a pH and TDS meter. Cheap and not sure how long I can expect them to work, but we will see. Be careful with adding any crushed limestone to the system. The local aquaponics store recommended it but I've read on here it's not ideal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Total water volume ~3500L, FT = 2 x IBC, IBC Sump, RFF, BioFilt, GB = 1000L expanded clay + 535L DWC, Pump = PondMax EV-7200

PostPosted: Apr 30th, '18, 20:17 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Cheers Dr Fish, it was actually the fish tank that had the collapse- was thinking about taking a pic but thought I'd better get the problem fixed first. I got the test kit with the 2nd hand tank and growbed I brought earlier and adapted but I'm looking at getting a Ph/temp pen locally HM brand for around $80 which will be good for quick tests.
I'm going to build a colour bond fence in front of the grow beds and fish tank which will stop the retic spraying into the sump and debris etc and also keep the sun off the sump and sides of grow beds and fish tank but also need it to be hinged halfway along for access issues. Just waiting for the cycling to happen now and get comfortable with testingetc.

PostPosted: May 1st, '18, 10:39 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Another thing you could do to reduce the noise is having the drain pipes running below the water surface.

PostPosted: May 1st, '18, 17:16 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Wilsil wrote:
Another thing you could do to reduce the noise is having the drain pipes running below the water surface.

Thanks mate done that problem solved.

PostPosted: May 1st, '18, 17:27 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

So typical newbie I buggered up the pH test thinking it looks like this picture with this solution but the penny didn't drop until today when I saw the other bottle of solution for high pH- Doh. So my actual pH in the system is 8.0 Ammonia is 0.50 NO2 0.25 & NO3 5.0
The new backup air pump I got yesterday can actually run on AC and does a good job and on the DC is good also but not quite the output of AC which is to be expected. Got a small pump to help with water changes but thinking now to upsize it 1 step so I can remove my 2400LPH pond pump and use that as the transfer/backup pump and put new pump in the pond.The 2400LPH was way too much overkill but I brought it before my interest in aquaponics and understanding of flow and headheight.

Attachments:
airpump.jpg
airpump.jpg [ 55.87 KiB | Viewed 4151 times ]
PostPosted: May 9th, '18, 09:44 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

So this is this mornings results as I’ve missed 2 days but had knee surgery so hopefully I didn’t miss any spikes. Can you tell me if I’m reading correctly please-
I had pH 7.4 Am 1-2ish NO2 1 NO3 40+ and haven’t added anything for 4 days before only used power feed 3x capfuls for 4x days. Are things on the right track as my seedlings are looking good. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: May 9th, '18, 09:58 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Liney wrote:
So this is this mornings results as I’ve missed 2 days but had knee surgery so hopefully I didn’t miss any spikes. Can you tell me if I’m reading correctly please-
I had pH 7.4 Am 1-2ish NO2 1 NO3 40+ and haven’t added anything for 4 days before only used power feed 3x capfuls for 4x days. Are things on the right track as my seedlings are looking good. Image

Hey Liney,

Ouch, hope knee is ok. Other expertise is needed here, but my guess is you might be dosing with the powerfeed a little too much. For my somewhat larger system I've only been adding about 1/2 cup every couple of weeks. Does the water look dark? I normally wait until my water clears before thinking about adding more. Mind you, since upping the powerfeed my plants have been going great guns.

I know you are just cycling the system at this stage, but I would have thought those readings are way high for fish. I need to get one of those master kits, but my dip sticks constantly give me zero for all the nitrate/nitrite. However, I have a much larger GB and filtration system. Even after adding my 16 trout, my water quality seems fine.

Total water volume ~3500L, FT = 2 x IBC, IBC Sump, RFF, BioFilt, GB = 1000L expanded clay + 535L DWC, Pump = PondMax EV-7200

PostPosted: May 9th, '18, 10:59 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hi mate I only put powerfeed in on the first 4 x days so haven’t added anything for 5x days just letting it do its thing and just testing. Hoping my digital pH/temp pen arrives today so I can measure temps as well and compare to ammonia chart. Hope my levels drop soon as I’ve said I haven’t added any ammonia but have high nitrates more than my plants can use.

PostPosted: May 9th, '18, 18:27 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Also the water is nice and clear- even when I tipped the 3 x capfuls into the fish tank it didn't take too long to cycle through and clear up. This weather is a little strange with nice mid 20s days and cool nights might stuff the bacteria colony around but hopefully not.

PostPosted: May 10th, '18, 11:11 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
I wish my pH was at that level.
One tank shows 7.4 while the other shows less than 6.

PostPosted: May 10th, '18, 16:11 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hi Wilsil,
just did another test and pH 7.4, Am 1-2, NO2 1, NO3 80 so I know its a long process to cycle but from what Ive read on this forum surely my Ammonia should spike or Nitrite spike but to what levels as my Nitrates are going up but thats all.

PostPosted: May 10th, '18, 16:41 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

My pH sits around 7.4 as well. Think it's the Perth water and the strong limestone geology of the area. I would like to get mine lower to about 6.8. but I'm not going to start fussing with it too much. I'm still trying to get all the limestone dust out of mine that I added on start up. Interested to see what happens long term.

PostPosted: May 10th, '18, 17:15 

Are you human?: YES
Be patient, you're only into this a bit over a week and it usually takes around 3 weeks to a month.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next