All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 18th, '19, 10:55 

Are you human?: Yes
Alright so right now I just have some theory I'll get a diagram up soon and include pictures as I build it. But being honest I take things nice and slow.

Here is a basic overview I'm going to do a drain and flood with a continuous running pump. The media beds will be two 50 gallon sheep stock tanks connected by a 6" PVC pipe. They will each have an overflow and one media bed will have a siphon vavle to drain both beds. ( Based off a three media bed build I saw on youtube.) My fish tank will be 100 gallons and filled with either channel catfish or blue catfish. I'll probably use lava rock for the media and I'll also have an aeration bar also. Hopefully this means I'll get around 12 catfish and some good harvest.

Let me know any thoughts on the build. I'm honestly kinda worried about using the one siphon valve but I mean I watched it work online so hopefully it will work for me.

I read one:one ratio and flood and drain is an easy start. Catfish can survive a wide temperature range. And that siphon valve causes good airation for the grow bed.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 20th, '19, 05:47 

Are you human?: YES
Bump

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '19, 04:03 

Are you human?: yes
Is there any chance of drawing a sketch of how you are wanting to plumb this setup? I’m struggling to picture it clearly.

Please understand I’m a newb to all of this, but if the lava rock occupies 70% of the volume of the grow beds, you’ll have the potential for having around a total of 30 gallons of water in the grow beds before the siphon kicks in. This would mean that the fish tank level would only be 2/3 of the full level. Would the fluctuation of level of water in the FT be ok for the fish? It’s a question, I’m not sure.

Why do you want to have only 1 siphon? If you had 2 siphons, from my very limited experience they would kick in at different times as the flow to both grow beds is not exactly the same, so you may have less fluctuation in the FT.

I’m interested to see if you get more responses as I’m still learning myself. The one thing I do know is that there is no single right or wrong way to do all of this. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Nov 21st, '19, 04:04 

Are you human?: yes
(Deleted duplicate post)