All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Aug 13th, '18, 22:03 

Are you human?: YES
Hi All

I build a new aquaponic system in my back yard. i have 12 grow beds made from 220l drums cut in half and filled with gravel. My system works but what i am battling with is filling the grow beds with water at the same time and same speed so that they can all drain again at the same time. I have a 1800l submerceble water pump that pumps the water to a 'power shower pump' to speed up the water flow. The taps are all in a line and the water enters one end of the line but the first tap always gets the fastest and most water and the last tap the least water and slowest flow, sometimes the last taps dont even get water. Does anyone have any advice how I could get all 12 taps to have the same volume and same water flow?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 14th, '18, 03:12 

Welcome to the forum :wave:

If you could post up a picture of your setup that would help. Are the outlets above or below the level of the feed pipe? Are there ball valves on the taps or can the taps be rotated to change the flow?

PostPosted: Aug 14th, '18, 03:29 

Hi,

The outflow is bell siphon, the pipes are above the grow bed and just have normal taps on them.

PostPosted: Aug 14th, '18, 08:43 

That didn't really help a much but here goes.

1. If the main pipe has to fill up before the water can flow out to the taps, that might help.

2. You might be able to put the faucets in a loop so that water comes from both ends.

3. Seems like the faucets should be able to regulate the flow with the first one being further toward the off position and so on down the line.

4. Make sure the pipe is level or tips slightly down toward the last spigot.

Again pictures would help - we could get an idea of head height, pipe size, number of spigots...
I don't get the power shower pump after the 1800L pump doesn't seem like you should need it :?

I think number 4 should probably get checked before you do any major changes. Seems like the main delivery pipe should fill evenly or you'd get outflow from a spigot before the entire thing filled.

PostPosted: Aug 14th, '18, 17:48 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Yes more info needed

12 taps you would need a 40 to 50mm supply line from the pump with the taps drawing off this pipe

The pumps we use are not pressure pumps

A 1800L pump just wont do it these pumps are rated at no pumping height straight out the pump

A typical set up with pumping up to growbeds will lose about half of that flow in head / pipe restriction ect

25mm siphons need about 200 to 220 Lph to work , small loop siphons a lot less

PostPosted: Aug 19th, '18, 16:19 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
If you use T outlets then you can tilt the early ones slightly upwards, then progressively lower them.
Otherwise have all outlets slightly upwards to ensure that water partially fills all the pipe before flowing out - that will even the delivery a lot more.
Another strategy is to run the feed pipe to the centre of the distributor pipe so that it is more balanced.

As others have noted it would be good if you post some pictures so people can better see what the issues may be. you can find how to do that under Announcements > viewforum.php?f=4

>> A 1800L pump just wont do it these pumps are rated at no pumping height straight out the pump

Yep, a system with a lot of grow beds would usually have a larger pump. But again need pictures to better see what you are trying to deal with.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....