All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Mar 5th, '09, 19:22 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Did you slice him up for barra food or just let him on his way? Hope you don't have little kids, snakes and them together don't mix well in my book.

Had the old bloke behind us come over a few weeks ago to tell me to watch the dogs and kids because there was the biggest dugite he had ever seen sunning itself down near the creek earlier in the day.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 5th, '09, 19:42 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

No, no barra food, it got away...vertically!!! Fortunately no little kids anymore, but dogs yes...but still, a tiger snake is not desirable even for us! We just try not to get too complacent, which I guess is important for all of us in the bush! What happened to the big dugite?

PostPosted: Mar 5th, '09, 20:02 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I am guessing he moved on up the creek the way he was heading (away from the bush) and probably got knocked on the head by someone. I know my elderly neighbour let him be, but most of those further up stream have kids and dogs so I doubt they would tolerate him hanging around. I am in a pretty built up area and if he was on my block I probably would have knocked him, to big a risk in my book, I have seen dogs knocked over in a matter of minutes and could not live with knowing a child was hospitalised or worse because I let him move on to someone else's place.

This kind of thing always brings debate for pros and cons each way on every forum I frequent, personally I like to leave them be but think each instance has to be assessed risk wise on it's own merit and in this case I would have said the risk was too high.

PostPosted: Mar 5th, '09, 20:12 
Bear in mind... a large majority of snake bites occur through people trying to "knock" the snake.... :wink:

PostPosted: Mar 5th, '09, 20:19 
Legend Member
Legend Member

RupertofOZ wrote:
Bear in mind... a large majority of snake bites occur through people trying to "knock" the snake.... :wink:

Very true, and a good argument for leaving them be if there is no risk. Otherwise, long pants, workboots and a long handled shovel, would still rather call an ambulance for myself than an unknowing kid get bitten.

Funny that when I was the environmental officer working on a FIFO gold mine I was constantly called up because there was a snake seen going under the office or donga. My standard response was leave it be keep the doors closed and look where you are stepping. They soon got sick of calling me :D

PostPosted: Mar 5th, '09, 23:20 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
+1 on the shovel for the rattlesnakes that use to be around here, and in the city at that! It was always scary to only kill a baby rattler, cus you know it isn't by itself. :shock: Gardensnakes didn't get the shovel though.

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '09, 05:23 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: somewhat
shovel is a dangerous tool to use if you must euthanise a snake.
If hitting with the blade of the shovel, therebycutting his head off, the mouth is still alive, active, full of venom and snappy for some time, and you could get bitten. Most common is for a dog or cat to race in now and die.
If you hit with the flat of the shovel, there is the danger that the shovel is very rigid and straight, and the ground, not necessarily so. This means that you may whack him, and not actually break his spine, as he's in a slight depression. Snakes don't take kindly to being whacked.
If you have a problem with many snakes, I would have to advise you get a length of 12 gauge fencing wire. make is about 12' long. Fold it in half, and then either by hand or with a drill(much easier) twist it up tight.
This is a strong flexible rod now that will mould itself into depressions in the ground when you hit. It's also got a lot less surface area than the shovel, so more pressure is applied to the point of impact.
Do not aim for the head straight up. first aim half way down the body of the snake (after removing all animals and children) with his back broken mobility is severely dampened. Then strike again closer to the head, and closer again until he is incapacitated, and you are able to grind his head with your boot, thereby ensuring the fangs are not exposed to inquisitive beings after.

I am not advocating that you kill snakes. I have caught and released a few away from the house myself, but if you MUST, this is imho the safest way to manage it, for all involved.

My System #2

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '09, 05:24 

Oh, and the shotgun? Just plain crazy, too many ricochets!

My System #2

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '09, 06:02 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: YES
I don't know many snakes that would wait that long in one spot for me to over-engineer its demise. Besides, we need to retain the high numbers available for the Darwin Awards. :)

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '09, 07:06 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

hay guys, just remember that our nativ founa are protected and that includes snakes, the best thing to do is call a snake catcher, i am one my self and if you look on the snake busters web site you might find one in your area, they are actuly an inportant part of our environment and are not out to hurt any one and as was mentioned many ppl are bitten when trying to wack a snake, and remember there are many harmles snakes to.

rodents, rats and mice have been responsable for more deaths and desese than snakes but ppl dont see them as dangerous, snakes control these, thats there job.

cheers.

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '09, 16:50 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Our thoughts too! Except the tiger snakes like our frogs though...I would prefer if they stayed with the rats and mice!! Any way, as you said, they are a part and parcel of living with nature...just like the birds that eat all our fruit, and the millipedes that get in the house!! If we worried too much about snakes, we'd move to the city! I must say we are taking a bit of extra care though, especially as tiger snakes are just as happy to be out at night time.

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '09, 17:31 

If one has a surplus of snakes, one has the tools ready in advance. For ppl in the city, snake catchers are the solution. In the country, he'd be hiding by the time the bloke got there, and as I mentioned, I catch and relocate as many as possible, but the big ones are a big scary for me :-(

My System #2

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '09, 17:40 
Little scardey kudpuddacat.... :lol:

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '09, 19:02 

Dem's big snakes rupe!
largest snake I've ever seen alive was in the wild (down in the paddock, so left him alone) Red Bellied Black, he was 80mm in diameter, and length was immeasurable cos he was curled up in grass, but estimating 1.5+ metres.

I do like to watch snakes, but it's the medium sized quick to anger and super reflexes that worry me. Babies have super reflexes and are tiny, but I wont agitate a snake longer than 800mm.

My System #2

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '09, 19:15 
A posting God
A posting God

Don't like the brown snakes. Any snake that gets into the top 5 venomous snakes list is not good. And they really don't like people, only snake that I know of that when it spots you accross an irragation ditch, goes for a swim to come at ya. Really cranky.
10th is the Western Brown Snake
9th is the Death Adder
8th is the Black Tiger Snake
7th is the Tiger Snake
6th is theSea Kraits
5th is the Mainland
4th is the Eastern Tiger Snake
3 is the Taipan
2end is the King Brown Snake
1stis the Inland Taipan Or Fierce Snake

Bugger didn't think we were that high on the list. :shock:

http://www.backyardfarming.com.au/phpbbb/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next