All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 12th, '06, 13:01 
Legend Member
Legend Member

i agree, great setup

Advertisement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 12th, '06, 13:01 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
Mike, we had alot of the same ideas. The long feed troughs are the same as my long one. I am thinking of changing out the pea gravel for lava rock, not quite as heavy, and I have clay balls on top of the gravel. If I get extra money I might just go to all clay balls, very light, but they do float, if you are doing a flood a drain system. I have but blocks under the trough to keep the plastic up.

The pictures are great. Looking forward to seeing alittle more, It is 1 am and I will be back to look at the site closer in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 12th, '06, 15:12 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Nice work. Color coordinated and all.

Can I have a photo of the venturi siphon please. Can't quite get my head around your one. I have a very simple u turn siphon inside a standpipe I'm happy with for now... but there's no venturi in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 12th, '06, 16:56 

Are you human?: YES
While you may be able to describe it as a syphon, it is totaly different to what we have all been duscussing in that the level is constant and the syphon action serves the purpose of sucking solids up into the standpipe and out into the beds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 12th, '06, 18:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Great work Mike... :)

Just wondering, do you have the grow beds drain flow restriced at all, so that they flood?

Profile Personal album  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 12th, '06, 21:29 

Are you human?: I'm a pleasure droid
Aquaponics Cabana!

Plant and fish pictures are money

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 12th, '06, 23:00 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Hey everyone, thank you for the compliments. I have training today at work so I will be slow to answer questions. I will post later this afternoon;) Have a great day/eve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 12th, '06, 23:55 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Aquaddict....the diagram and that one photo are all I have for now. If you want specific instructions on how to build it I would be more than happy to help. Just PM me or email....

Earthbound - Yes, at the end each trough, just in front of the drain I constructed a mini earth dam out of larger size gravel and sand. The water seeps through the dam at a slower rate than water flows in. My 3" drain is completely exposed so I can keep debris out, and the drain clear and accessible. This has proven effective, however I will re-engineer the entire grow bed situation this winter. The troughs proved too lightweight for pea gravel.

Joyce - I was thinking of just removing the plastic trough from its frame and setting it on a flat table that supports the entire tub from underneath as opposed to the sides where it is suspended. I like the tub sizes, but they weren't designed to support the load.

Here's my super secret mission that I am on:

I have been courting the UC Davis Ronald Laboratory to learn how to grow super rice over the course of next summer. I developed a solid contact at the laboratory who has provided documentation how they grow rice under glass. It is very detailed down to the nitrate and all I need to do is build a grow chamber similar to thiers of less than 100 square feet (Not a problem since I tore the roof off the sucka and turning that half of the "greenshop" into a super growth chamber). The grow chamber will be lined with white foam board to provide max refraction and insulation within the space and I will use ventilation to provide added climate control within the chamber. UC Davis will provide the seeds once I get the chamber built plus some support if I reciprocate and share info.

Polycarboante is going up this weekend.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 13th, '06, 07:53 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Blink, Sweet! I won the naming contest.
I never understood, why grow rice? I'm just a bit ignorant, I like rice, don't eat enough of it but why grow it in this manner? Ok duh feed the world type thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 13th, '06, 09:17 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
Mike, be careful about taking the troughs out of the frames. Like you said the plastic is not made for this. The frame at least holds the sides in. My 2x3 beds are a plastic much like the troughs, and they sag out in the middle. I really need a frame for them even with the small size. The only bed I really see holding up well was a commercial one brought at a hydroponics shop, very hard plastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 13th, '06, 11:04 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Joyce, I appreciate the warning. I plan to support the sides with metal tubing as they are now, just replace the bttom spars with a supported flat surface running the length of the trough. I agree the heavy duty plastic is more appropriate, and maybe the route I will go.

Rice - I live in the largest rice production region in the Western US and I live with its destructive consequences. Despite its reputation for feeding the world, commercially grown Rice it is the most environmentally destructive crop we grow in California. It consumes vast quantities of our natural resources, particularly land and water. It produces a waste product that has no food or energy value and must be burned back into the soil causing plumes of smoke that choke our great valley in the fall. The majority of it is sold off to foriegn countries like Japan which do not have the land and resources to grow it, and the profits are not redistributed back into the community, but rather hoarded by wealthy politicians and private farmers. Additionally, Rice farming is one of the biggest welfare boondoggles with land/water subsidies and payouts to farmers to create shortages.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00962.html

Agribusinesses do not want people like you and I growing rice. Which is exactly why I want to find a way for people in other countries to grow it.

It's also personal,
Rice is a very destructive crop to California. It consumes vast quantities of our precious water resources, Personally,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 13th, '06, 11:06 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

trailing....sorry I'll get off my soap box

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 13th, '06, 11:45 
In need of a life
In need of a life

No problem Mike, I asked the question. I did not realize rice was grown in Cali. doesn't make sense with all the water usage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 13th, '06, 11:48 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

John, I'm totally stoked about your greenhouse. I'm looking forward to the reports through the winter. When are you going to put in the barrels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 13th, '06, 12:01 
In need of a life
In need of a life

I'll be working on them this week. Got some veggie seeds today and I'm ready to roll the 120lt, 30 gal aquarium outside with it's little growbeds as well. Still attempting to source Yellow Perch though. If I can stick to schedule I'll have it all pumping about by the weekend. Not looking forward to washing more gravel but it has to be done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next