All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Aug 13th, '10, 17:21 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

We've just lost another 6 fish - see thread here http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8014

Our Energy Descent plan, Aquaponics, and everything we're doing to the house & garden: Trafford Eco-House

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 25th, '10, 18:04 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Well, that was a hellish experience. Deaths finally stopped at 37 fish left. Now, after a few safe days, we have another sick one - http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8077

Our Energy Descent plan, Aquaponics, and everything we're doing to the house & garden: Trafford Eco-House

PostPosted: Aug 31st, '10, 01:27 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

ok, deaths still coming . . . slowly . . . now only 28 left - http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8014

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '10, 17:37 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

ok we're now down to 14 - I'm giving up on these fish in this system.

Current plan is to look after the plants while I reconfigure the system to try and solve all the many problems we've found. Then we'll restart it with some carp.

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '10, 17:52 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
I realise that this is extremely discouraging, but don't give up on them.

PostPosted: Sep 20th, '10, 17:56 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

There's no point kidding myself on this - the rest will all be gone within a fortnight. I'll keep tending them in the meantime but once they're all dead it'll be time for a major re-think of the system.

There's no point keeping a system this size going for this few fish I'd be better off removing the fish and dosing it with ammonia to keep the plants happy.

PostPosted: Feb 12th, '11, 05:50 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

OK, we've got through the winter with a dozen fish still alive - they're plate size now, so not long for this world :-)

Am about to move fish tank out of the polytunnel and into an insulated shed to protect the fish from the extremes they saw last year.

I'm also taking the opportunity to split the system into three, with the two new fishtanks being made from IBCs (also put into the shed)

Now I'm also starting a second IBC-Based system - new thread over here: http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9059

PostPosted: May 2nd, '11, 14:15 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Have just split the system up, which gave me the opportunity to drain the fishtank and count the fish as we moved them. Turns out there are 16 left, the largest is platter sized, the smaller 3 are just coming up on Plate size.

Time to work out how to "harvest" them!

PostPosted: May 2nd, '11, 14:45 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Glad to hear that a few survived.. How about your IBC system, did you move forward with that?

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Aug 13th, '11, 16:56 

Are you human?: only just
Hi Andrew,

I've been following your exploits with interest. I'm in Prestwich, North Manchester and have just set up an IBC system and am presently deciding between carp and trout.

Are you restocking with trout? or have your experiences put you off? I'd love to read some of your conclusions after a year of AQ.

Kind Regards

Warren

PostPosted: Aug 15th, '11, 18:46 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Carp taste "muddy". At least they do when raise in a normal pool. They may taste different when raised in an AP setup but I doubt it. Carp, like trout, are very much geared to a UK temperature range. But I found they are not as fast growing and their taste are the only downsides.

PostPosted: Aug 15th, '11, 19:52 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
DragonC wrote:
Carp taste "muddy". At least they do when raise in a normal pool. They may taste different when raised in an AP setup but I doubt it. Carp, like trout, are very much geared to a UK temperature range. But I found they are not as fast growing and their taste are the only downsides.

Don't let Welshdragon hear you say that... :wink:

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Aug 15th, '11, 20:18 

DragonC wrote:
Carp taste "muddy". At least they do when raise in a normal pool. They may taste different when raised in an AP setup but I doubt it. But I found they are not as fast growing and their taste are the only downsides.

I used to hear that when I told people that I was growing trout. They would answer, "I don't like trout, they have a muddy taste"
Now I answer back "not when they are grown in an aquaponic system, and smoked trout taste as good as smoked salmon". not to mention they are the most fun to keep in winter. But hey, don't take my word for it, you ask anyone who is keeping trout!
Haven't kept or eaten carp so I can't tell you what they are like, sorry DragonC.
We can get trout to 500g in 6 months here in Perth. Let me tell you there is nothing wrong with trout, we love 'em! :lol:

PostPosted: Aug 15th, '11, 21:09 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I have eaten carp... and trout. But I've never eaten smoked carp, or carp grown in aquaponics. Maybe my taste buds are biased. I guess it depends on the fish's "lifestyle" as to what taste they get. The cleaner AP setup might give a cleaner taste.

PostPosted: Aug 15th, '11, 22:42 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: de
DragonC wrote:
I have eaten carp... and trout. But I've never eaten smoked carp, or carp grown in aquaponics. Maybe my taste buds are biased. I guess it depends on the fish's "lifestyle" as to what taste they get. The cleaner AP setup might give a cleaner taste.

I have been to a trout fishery up in the hills, a few years ago. They raise trout in separeted cages in a small river. I walked down the cages and found the last cage full of carps, so I asked one of the fishermans about tham.

He said they buy them to form a lake fishery, take them, and just put tham there for a approx two weeks. They dont get feed, and definelitely loose some wait (mosty fat) as they have to swim all the time. They also loos the muddy taste. At the end they sell the carps with profit, its a byproduct for tham, if they have an empty cage they buy some carps. ;)

With the other problem you are right, caprs grow much slower than trout and their market size is much bigger as well.
Market size here in Hungary 1-3kg. But one can easily buy bigger ones up to 5-8kg.
Extensively they reach the market size in 2,5 years!

Greate plus on caprs that they like intensive keeping, they are hardy, and eat almost everithing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next