All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Aug 15th, '11, 22:48 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
punkrockdad -
We keep both rainbow trout and carp and eat both!
Fridays fish and chips -that is trout - lovely - and whilst the oven is still hot from the oven chips we bake a carp then let it cool in the fridge overnight.When cold the flesh is taken off and deboned - WD makes it into an excellent kedgeree!All mixed with wild rice ,hard boiled eggs and freshly picked herbs and salad.
Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot eat carp - it is a delicacy in some countries, and they will pay a good price also!
If you think they are muddy in taste - then add some fresh herbs.
All of our fish -be they trout or carp are in lightly salted water which adds to the flavour.
OH

Profile Personal album  
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 16th, '11, 02:39 

Are you human?: only just
From what I've read it seems carp are touch more forgiving as far as water quality and temp? Whats the max temp and duration your trout have had to endure OH? I've spotted your frozen GB photos! I've been monitoring the water temp for the last couple of weeks and we managed to get up to 20c for a couple of days. BUt mostly its been between 13 - 15c. Should I be worried about the upper end as far as the trout are concerned?

Theres a chap up in Clitheroe who has some fingerlings for 80p. He seems to think they'll reach 1/2kg by spring if I get them in by sept. Is this realistic? I've got my IBC up and running with tap water while I collect some rainwater in my other IBC. I'm just tweaking the plumbing and using a 75 lpm air pump to aerate and airlift to the bed. All with 45 watts. The bed flood and drains on a swivel siphon. 12 minutes to fill and 3 to drain. So I'm turning over 250 litres every 15 minutes ish.

My FT is 750 litres and the bed is 250. I'm thinking that 20 fingerlings would be a good number to start with. Hopefully this would help me cycle the system gently, initially.

Has anybody built a diy smoker? oh and why the Salt OH? (sorry for all the questions!!)

PostPosted: Aug 16th, '11, 03:22 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
Punkrockdad

I know this is Andrew's thread but he will probably tell you the same. Before you get any fish onto your premises make sure you are registered with CEFAS, they have a website and will tell you what is required. Your chap from Clitheroe might not be willing to supply you with fish if you are not registered. Our supplier has to be registered and so do we, it is just a way of stopping disease spreading, not so much with trout but more so with carp, apparently.

We have had trout water at 24.7 C and the fish have been OK but you need to keep the oxygen level very high. If you go over 25C you would be in trouble.

As for salting, all our fish have their water salted. It inhibits disease but more importantly it helps counteract nitrite poisoning or brown blood disease. Very common when starting without making sure that the bacteria in the growbeds is functioning properly.
WDand OH.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Aug 16th, '11, 03:59 

Are you human?: only just
Apologies Andrew. Seems I've unintentionally hijacked your thread.

I've ccp over onto my intro page...

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10284

PostPosted: Oct 10th, '11, 17:47 

Are you human?: no
Hi Andrew, just been reading your thread with great interest, just wondering if any news on how its doing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9