All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Dublin Aquaponics
PostPosted: Oct 28th, '16, 04:53 

Are you human?: Yes
Hi so far this week I collected my 3 ibcs and timber for grow beds frame I'll start the chopping in the next few days!
The plan is a split flow system ft outside the greenhouse then into radial flow filter to sump. Sump pumped to 2 media grow beds and one floating raft bed and also back to ft. I will get rainbow trout for ft!
I cannot seem to find ammonia anywhere so I think I will have to cycle with fish!
Can anyone tell me how many goldfish in would need for the cycle? The grow beds and floating raft bed are all 300 litres each with a 500-600 litre sump.

I have thought about using gravel but every one I phone up says nah mate there is probably limestone in it! So I think I'll fork out for clay for piece of mind!

I'm thinking of a haliea pump maybe 5000-6000 lph I just need to find out are they ok with pressure if I need to restrict flow anywhere.

Radial flow filter will be standard enough I'm just not sure whether to use a 200litre barrel or a 25 litre bucket I'm thinking 200l barrel can anyone advise?

I'll make a venturi for the ft and also have an air pump probably 1000lph would this suffice?

So I'll get some photos up over the next few days!

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Dublin Aquaponics
PostPosted: Oct 28th, '16, 05:46 

Are you human?: YES
I might have missed it but how big is your fish tank going to be?

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '16, 06:00 

Ah I didn't say! It will be a 1000l ibc!
Do you see issues?

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '16, 08:34 

Hmm, I've never been that crazy about this kind of loop between the fish tank and the sump with only the RFF between them. It's always better if you can avoid this and go through the grow beds with the return water before it goes back to the fish tank. Either from the fish tank to the beds, then to the sump or straight to the sump and then pumped to the grow beds which then drain back to the fish tank. Trout are a bit touchy about water quality and sending back part of their waste water, even without the settleable solids probably isn't a good idea. I'm not sure of the elevations in your system but I think probably Fish tank to RFF to grow beds to DWC to sump and then pumped back to fish tank would make the most sense. The grow beds would filter out some of the suspended solids for the DWC.

When I first read split system I was thinking you meant a dual loop system where there is one loop for the plants and another loop for the fish. They are usually connected somehow through the solids filtration where waste only flows toward the plant loop but never back. For most people (99.9%) this isn't needed but it makes sense for commercial growers who watch the inputs and outputs more and who want more control.

You may also want to mention how many fish you're planning on in the system.

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '16, 08:51 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Sounds pretty good but I agree with Scotty. I would use a smaller pump for the 1000l system, FT to RFF first, then GBs then DWC back to sump. Pump from sump back to FT. I would definitely use a 200l barrel for the RFF, anything smaller and the flow will be too fast for solids separation. Post GB water will be nice and solids free for the DWC. Be sure to pipe some air to the DWC. And for trout, try to keep the temp below 65°F for better dissolved oxygen. For the pump, check out the Jebao DC3000 - a great quiet pump that will move up to 3000 lph, but has a speed control so you can maybe target 2000l, then increase if needed. Also consider a power head to keep water moving for the trout - only 6 watts or so.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '16, 12:38 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
>> I would use a smaller pump for the 1000l IBC system

+1 for me on the pump too. 3000 LPH would be heaps for an IBC and probably lot less Watts.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '16, 13:17 

I've never tried the Jebao pumps, can't say I've seen much about them here but have been happy with one of their UV light systems. It's nice that it's variable flow.

If you use an RFF and flow all the flow through this, then I think the bucket is a bit too small and would go with the barrel. You'd only have a retention time of between 1 and 2 minutes with the bucket which isn't really enough. The barrel gives you around 12 minutes which is more than enough. You don't have to put all the flow through the RFF, you have several options -

1. No RFF and filtration using only the media beds - You have to watch fish loads because you don't want the solids clogging the grow beds and messing up the biofiltration.

2. Run all the flow through the RFF.

3. Run partial flow through RFF and all flow through media beds. The media beds catch some of the solids but you can vary the flow through the RFF with a ball valve.

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '16, 19:48 

I haven't planned elevation yet just been knocking some ideas around my head!

I could have all flow from ft to rff then gravity to grow beds then keep the dwc lower than the grow beds then from dwc to sump and then pump from sump back to ft?

How does that sound?

I have not yet worked out how many fish i will need but I will do some searching for the answer!

What is a power head?

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '16, 21:32 

scotty435 wrote:
I've never tried the Jebao pumps, can't say I've seen much about them here but have been happy with one of their UV light systems. It's nice that it's variable flow.

If you use an RFF and flow all the flow through this, then I think the bucket is a bit too small and would go with the barrel. You'd only have a retention time of between 1 and 2 minutes with the bucket which isn't really enough. The barrel gives you around 12 minutes which is more than enough. You don't have to put all the flow through the RFF, you have several options -

1. No RFF and filtration using only the media beds - You have to watch fish loads because you don't want the solids clogging the grow beds and messing up the biofiltration.

2. Run all the flow through the RFF.

3. Run partial flow through RFF and all flow through media beds. The media beds catch some of the solids but you can vary the flow through the RFF with a ball valve.

If I run ft to rff to gb to dwc to sump back to ft...I take it I could not use flood and drain, would the grow beds need to be a constant height then gravity flow to dwc
?

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '16, 23:12 
Legend Member
Legend Member

ngavin2001 wrote:
I haven't planned elevation yet just been knocking some ideas around my head!

I could have all flow from ft to rff then gravity to grow beds then keep the dwc lower than the grow beds then from dwc to sump and then pump from sump back to ft?

How does that sound?

I have not yet worked out how many fish I will need but I will do some searching for the answer!

What is a power head?

powerhead example

You can totally use flood and drain with this setup. I have a system with almost the exact same config. that you describe. When the GBs dump to the DWCs (I have the fill pipe enter below the surface) they will overflow into the standpipe that drains to the sump. I have 4 GBs with 3/4" bell siphon drains feeding a 1-1/2" pipe that feeds my two DWCs. The overflow in those is 1-1/2" also. Sometimes they trickle, and sometimes there is water moving. The height in the DWC changes about an inch, so my rafts are floating which is the most common.

However my system does not use a sump, so I pump into the RFF which gravity feeds the GBs, which flood/drain to the DWCs, which drain to the FT.

I hope that all makes sense.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Oct 28th, '16, 23:19 
Legend Member
Legend Member

BTW, as you probably know, trout like moving water and lots of dissolved oxygen (DO). The lower temps make higher DO possible. You better have a battery backup for the aerations and the power heads. That will keep DO and moving water during power out. I use a 1000 or 1500 watt computer UPS that I removed the small internal batteries and connected to two marine batteries. I put it under a GB on blocks in case the ground gets wet, and covered with a heavy duty (compactor) trash bag to protect from rain, spray, etc.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '16, 00:31 

Yes it does make sense do the bell siphons work ok with them emptying below the water surface of the dwc?
I will sort some sort of backup don't think we have had a power out in the last 10 or 15 years our grid is pretty good!

I get what the power head is now thanks!

What lph air pump are you using? Do you oxygenate the dwc?

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '16, 00:41 

This is where it will live I built it last year, the fish tank will be outside at the rear. I hope not to have to go through glass with any pipes and go through the brick work.

Attachments:
Resized_20160606_151530-800x450.jpeg
Resized_20160606_151530-800x450.jpeg [ 191.13 KiB | Viewed 4204 times ]
PostPosted: Oct 29th, '16, 01:28 

Looks like you're getting things figured out :thumbright: . Build your bell siphons so that you can remove the bell and switch to Constant Flood later if you want.

PostPosted: Oct 29th, '16, 02:59 

scotty435 wrote:
Looks like you're getting things figured out :thumbright: . Build your bell siphons so that you can remove the bell and switch to Constant Flood later if you want.

I will bear that in mind thanks!