All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 213, 214, 215, 216, 217  Next
PostPosted: Mar 16th, '17, 15:43 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: Yep
I have a tree stump and wooden mallet handy, so I might give that a shot, although I'm not sure I need to mash it as the fibers are already in thin strand. I think perhaps I need to cut them a little to make the paper smooth just so they dont pile up on each other.

Using the mesh to pick the stuff up from the water is a very cool idea. This means the water would flow wherever there is a thin bit, and thus make it thicker. I love a problem that solves itself.

I was thinking about using pressure, but a cloth frame, and a tub of water will work much better using their method.

and...

I love those old "how it's made videos".

Ever so slightly interestingly, if you open two windows side by side and play "how it's made hot dogs ( (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NzUm7UEEIY) in one window, and simultaneously play "how it's made bubblegum" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQhq0UZYWDE) in the other, you see many of the same shots. If you delay one by a few seconds (I cant remember which, they look very similar in a lot of places.

They are partly the reason I started with the whole learning everything skit.

These days it's podcasts.

Everything from the team at how stuff works. ("stuff you should know" is one of my favorites)
99% Invisible
Freakonomics
radiolabs
tell me something I dont know
Gastropod
Americas test kitchen
The infinite monkey cage
The sporkful
Ted talks audio
and various others, but those are the ones I subscribe to.

I listen to them at 2x speed (or 1.5x depending on the speaker) to get my information in thicker form :)

Try it if you haven't. You'll find it very difficult to go back to normal speed.

I love the web.

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '17, 20:53 

Here's some stuff that might be true.

I've had problems with strawberry plants in constant flood. I put a dozen or so runners in my system from my dirt strawberry patch, and found they looked a little sad. It looked like they were rotting, and their leaves were turning brown.

I thought I'd have a look at the runners in the dirt garden doing their own thing and discovered that I've been planting them way too deep. I plant them like I plant everything else, with the roots buried, but my dirt runners just send down roots from whatever altitude they find themselves at. ?The result is they might have up to an inch of root above ground.

I pulled all the growbed runners up a bit (I love that you can just do that in aquaponics) so I could see the whites of their roots, and they seem to be doing a LOT better.

I'm guessing that was a month ago or so that I did that.

I'll try to log fruit numbers to see if there's any science to be had, but they are in very different sunlight as compared to their dirt dwelling sisters.

My system

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '17, 21:11 

The green slime paper production test has hit a bit of a hiccup as the goldfish have eaten most of the slime. I went to collect what I thought was a production run sized amount of slime today, but I'm guessing the colder weather and shorter days have meant that production is no longer outstripping demand from the fish.

We've reinvented ourselves as web designers this year and have been busy with that, and as a result, I wasn't paying much attention to my slime farm.

Also I underestimated how many fish I actually had. Once the slime had cleared up, it revealed I have maybe 50 new slime eating critters that I wasn't feeding at the beginning of summer, and they have mostly grown quite rapidly.

Someone said they had a stack of slime in their turtle pond, and I think they were from here, so I might read back through the thread, and see if I can contact them and collect it.

I cant remember if I mentioned it, but I think I've settled on just shredding it a bit with a blender, then pouring it over a bedsheet. If I swirl it around a bit, it should block the sheet in an area, and prevent any more from parking in that spot. The swirling should deposit it in a new empty space on the sheet giving me a relatively even layer of fibres. (as per that video someone shared (sorry for the lack of attributions in this post, but I'm getting slacker as I'm getting busier))

Damn getting healthier. I used to have so much time on my hands.

I'm also working on taking an invention to market (maybe) with someone from forum land (I'm not sure if they would want to be identified). I've gone with blind faith as my business, and contract model. I hope it pans out :)

If you cant trust someone you only vaguely know online with a potentially zillion dollar idea, and no contract, who can you trust?

:wave1:

My system

PostPosted: Apr 12th, '17, 21:57 

If you dont feel like donning goggles and dunking your head into your fishtank to have a look around, float some cling wrap on the surface.

Drape it onto the surface of the water so that it doesn't allow water to get on top of it. You could probably take a decent photo through it as well.

I discovered it while covering the water in a batch of overnight yogurt making with my sous vide device to prevent evaporation.

My system

PostPosted: Apr 17th, '17, 17:43 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Fair go Bullwrinkle you are a funny man, dont understand what your yapping on about but life must be interesting for you. Think I mentioned it before but have you tried drying your green slime out a then rolling into a ciggie?

PostPosted: Apr 17th, '17, 20:47 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Wonderful discussion as always Bullwinkle. Keep your chin up. This a is another great idea I sincerely hope works out. .

:?

PostPosted: Apr 18th, '17, 16:00 

Tonzz wrote:
Fair go Bullwrinkle you are a funny man, dont understand what your yapping on about but life must be interesting for you. Think I mentioned it before but have you tried drying your green slime out a then rolling into a ciggie?

I dont know if my feeble lungs could take a random experiment like that :)

My system

PostPosted: Apr 18th, '17, 16:10 

boss wrote:
Wonderful discussion as always Bullwinkle. Keep your chin up. This a is another great idea I sincerely hope works out. .

Thanks boss.

My system

PostPosted: Jul 4th, '17, 21:31 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: family Hominidae
It's been a while, BullwinkleII; I hope all is well.

PostPosted: Jul 4th, '17, 23:33 

Actually things are pretty good.

They stuck some radioactive slime into me the other day, so they could look at my kidneys under a flatbed scanner. The shitty one is down to 6% functionality, but the other one is totally buff, and twice it's original size. 6% is down from 10% a few years ago, so perhaps I can just leave it be for a bit and it will remove itself without all the pesky surgery.

That means I'm running at 106% as far as I can tell.

You normal kidneyed people are pathetic :)

I can take a gunshot to my left side at just the right spot, and all it will do is save me a few $K in removal expenses :)

Other than that, I'm giving away some solar stuff to a friend's mother who lives on Kangaroo Island (in a bit of a hippy kind of way) to get rid of the solar stuff I bought for my boat because it's too heavy, and will buy some new flexible solar panels for my boat adventure that I think might actually happen, or at least start to happen this year.

I spent a few days with the Wooden Boat Association of South Australia on this exploring some creeks on the Murray River in Putt-Putts from picnic baskets drinking pear cider, and have decided that spending time on the river is pretty much the most important thing in the universe.

I have a stack of new business stuff going on, and have no idea what I'm doing at any given time, so it's business as usual, but with a generally better outlook, so generally speaking everything is looking up and I'm not dead.

Which is nice.

Thanks for hoping.

My system

PostPosted: Jul 5th, '17, 21:55 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
We're super happy you are not dead too. You have a very good attitude on the kidney function. Wowsers on the Putt Putt!!

:?

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '17, 18:46 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Dear Mr BullwinkleII, sir, I have been tormenting myself by going through your complete 216 pages,,, yee gods man Id love to know what you eat for your brain to works the way it does...... there were times Id finish around 10pm go to bed at around 2AM get up again to re-read what I had read to confirm that you were not talking jibberish but making sense in just a different way.

You must confuse the hell out of our pollies.

However I digress.... you were growing tomatoes outside with their roots suspended in the fish tank. Are you still doing this? or have you improved?

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '17, 19:48 
Legend Member
Legend Member

dasboot
Post subject: Re: BullwinkleII's systemPostPosted: Nov 12th, '14, 12:49
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
Stuart Chignell wrote:
Sometimes I wonder about the drugs you are on Bullwinkle but yes I have done the laddies vs. ladies thing :oops:

I think this was from 2013
The laddies vs ladies thing is very easy to do here in the los,there also seems to be a growing number of ladies that want to be laddies.

but I recently saw this little joke......IT'S A BOY" I shouted "A BOY, I DON'T BELIEVE IT, IT'S A BOY" And with tears streaming down my face I swore I'd never visit another Thai Brothel

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '17, 00:00 

Tonzz wrote:
Dear Mr BullwinkleII, sir, I have been tormenting myself by going through your complete 216 pages,,, yee gods man Id love to know what you eat for your brain to works the way it does...... there were times Id finish around 10pm go to bed at around 2AM get up again to re-read what I had read to confirm that you were not talking jibberish but making sense in just a different way.

You must confuse the hell out of our pollies.

However I digress.... you were growing tomatoes outside with their roots suspended in the fish tank. Are you still doing this? or have you improved?

That growhouse decided to become tender enough to shred with a pair of forks only a few days after the Bunnings Warehouse® warranty ran out and that system has since been moved to less green pastures. I need to move it out from under my shade cloth, but I've been busy restructuring my life.

My system

PostPosted: Aug 1st, '17, 11:24 

A while back, I visited member's place (in Adelaide) and they had just done a bit of a cull of excess trout as the tanks were getting crowded.

I think it was around this time of year or the next few months.

If anyone in adelaide has plans to cull decent numbers of trout and would be willing to give them to a fly fishing club I've been involved with can you let me know.

I, along with a couple of members would catch them and deal with bagging them with oxygen etc.

They're a great bunch of folk, and all seem to share similar values as we do on BYAP. They have a dam they stock regularly with fry but the survival rates of the bigger fish are obviously much improved. They are of course a "not for profit", and are a pretty small club, so cant afford to buy fingerlings from the trout farms. Club fees are spent on fry.

And this...

From a much larger organisation, trout fry are available at Cudlee Creek in September.

From the SAFFA fish sales 2017 pdf...

"Trout Sales
Sunday 16th September
SAFFA are pleased to offer trout fry for sale again this year.
The price for Rainbows is $35.00 per 100 with orders to be in multiples of 100.
Browns are $55.00 per 100 with orders in multiples of 100.
Fish will be available for collection from our Millbrook Reservoir Hatchery on
Saturday 16th September between 11:00am and 3:00pm.
Entrance to the hatchery will be via the SA Water Entrance, Sunning Hill Road
off Tippet Road, Cudlee Creek.
Payment can be made via Electronic Funds Transfer to our Bank SA account:
SA FlyFishers Assoc Inc,
BSB 105-041, Acc no 176679040.
Please include “Sales” and your
surname in the reference details.
Cheques to be made payable to
“SA FlyFishers Assoc Inc” and
mailed to : PO Box 489,
North Adelaide SA 5006.
Payments may also be made by
COD on the day of collection. If
paying with cash please ensure
that you have the correct amount
as the ability to provide change
will be limited.
Please advise your order quantities
by email and include your
method of payment and approximate
time you plan to collect your
order.
If you require further information please contact me by email:
troutsales.saflyfishers@gmail.com. "

you should see a sign here on the day...

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Cu ... 38.8623937

My system

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 213, 214, 215, 216, 217  Next