All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 889 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Aquaponics obsession!
PostPosted: Jul 21st, '10, 04:49 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Not anymore
After almost two months of obsessing, researching and dealing with tragedy, I present to you my first completed AP system :cheers:

Specs:
19 Gallon (approx.) FT
18 Gallon (approx.) ST
3 GB, total volume 16 Gallon volume
Current fish population: 3 goldfish, about 3 inches long each
System established 18th July 2010 a little after midnight

I'll put up a better lit video in the morning. The system has consumed one fish and the chili plant you can see so far. The chili plant was in a GB which got stuck in continuous flow, it spent I don't know how much of last night but all of this morning without water, all its leaves drooped, I changed the GB it was in and while the remaining leaves seem much stronger and nowhere near as droopy there are only two of them so fingers crossed. Theres another plant in a dirt planter thats the same as this one and been growing the same amount of time so will be a good yardstick to measure how this one will do in the AP system, if it survives that is. Regards the dead goldfish, I found it in the morning floating on its side tangled in the fish net I had put on top of the overflow pipe, when I moved it out it floated back up upside down and proceeded to flow into the overflow and get stuck in the elbow, totally out of reach. I had to cut the overflow pipe and then remake it and reseal it. It was still barely breathing so I euthanized it, by hitting it on the head with a clay planter. The birds have taken the corpse or would have made it part of the video. No real idea what happened to it, examined, briefly, the body, din't see anything disturbing, I had only fed them once in four days so think it might have just been that, have fed the others a little, will be giving them just a teeny tiny bit of of pelleted fish food.

Looking forwards to hearing what you guys think, watch this space for regular updates [:

My rooftop systems
My YouTube channel
My Amazing Adventures!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '10, 10:01 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Depends on the time
Very neat proof of concept system there. Enjoyed the video and got some ideas for my system from it.

Cheers
Rob

Remember. If you have never failed, you have never tried.

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '10, 11:49 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Vegetable
Unless the fish looked "thin" it's very unlikely to be underfed. However gold fish, despite their reputation, aren't very hardy if you ask me. They only seem it, I hear things like
"Wow I put 20 goldfish in this one little bowl and they all died but there's one left and he's been going for years"... one was hardy and 19 were not....

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '10, 16:35 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Heres a much better lit video of the system, really need some input on the SLO as the fish keep getting stuck in the top of it, no idea how long they spend in there. Is the problem the cutouts at the bottom being too small?

My rooftop systems
My YouTube channel
My Amazing Adventures!

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '10, 17:06 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Yes, I think?
Looking good Abdul,

It may take a few months before the bed settles down and can perform better that your dig garden or planters, once it is established it will out perform than the others.

regards
Matt

Chilly tankhttp://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9917

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '10, 17:40 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: define human
love the vids abdul...

great setup.. love how you have looked to use bits and pieces and worked out how to get it to work..

looking forward to the updates...

dont fret your lost fish... i have lost about 1/2 of my first lot...mostly to them swimming up the pipes and ending up in the grow beds...of stuck in the pipes..

i think its called the learning curve....

I like poetry, long moonlit walks along the beach and poking dead things with a stick..

PostPosted: Jul 21st, '10, 22:32 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: CoffeeBasedLifeForm
Snip (harvest) the peppers to give the plant the best chance. It can then concentrate on rebuilding leaves and increasing roots. It'll be OK as long as it's not trying to support the fruits as well as heal...

I like the system, especially the flip-top tanks! Thank your Mom for all of us, letting you have rooftop space.

I may have an idea on the overflow, but I need to go back and re-watch and re-read so I know what the configuration is there now.

Rick

PostPosted: Jul 22nd, '10, 21:24 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Y: I have affadavit
Nice system. Nice video.

As far as the SLO overflowing the top: I would add some pipe so water must rise a bit before entering the overflow (top) pipe. This way there is more pressure forcing water into the bottom entrance. Or, perhaps, larger pipes would help: my best SLO never has the horizontal pipe filled completely.

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.

PostPosted: Jul 23rd, '10, 04:12 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Hey hey guys, heres a progress report.

Have snipped the peppers off the plant to give it a better chance, going to do the same to the lemon cutting tomm.

Lost another fish today, same scene, was stuck on top of the overflow pipe in the net I put there to keep it from it getting into the pipe and making me cut it up, again. Have fixed the problem I think, tried putting foam in it, restricted flow too much, put a 2" pvc connector on top of it, that restricted the flow too, so made lots of little holes in the fitting and now its fine, have used some metal wire to secure it on top of the overflow, it will be featured in my next update video which will happen tomm or the day after.

the chili plant still looks very lackluster, cuttings don't have roots yet but they've only been in there since Sunday.

On another note met a consultant today who's run a number of large fish farms. He told me that all fish farming in Pakistan is done in large ponds/dams/reservoirs. The water doesn't get changed until the batch of fish are completely harvested then all of it is changed. It is only aerated, is open to the sun and he told me that one hour of the air pump running was enough for 24 hours for the fish to live. This confuses me as I understood through reading on the forum firstly that 24/7 aeration is essential and second that the water MUST be changed or the nitrate concentration will kill the fish. The fish that are farmed are mainly local variety, 'Rau' being most popular and carp, 'chinese carp' he called it. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please...?

Also, very exciting news, met an investor today regarding his obsession with hydropnics, went and sold him on aquaponics. He has land 3 and a half hours out of the city where he is growing vegetables, and has an old fish farm there, at LEAST half an acre the pond is, larger I'm told. I have a free hand to do as I please to establish a greenhouse and run it on aquaponics along with whatever funds i would need. Will be visiting it in a couple of weeks when I get done with playing deputy governor danforth in a production of Miller's "The crucible". So you guys can expect a while new set of queries from me regarding large systems and greenhouses and the such.

So who's had an expansion of this size before their first system cycled? [;

My rooftop systems
My YouTube channel
My Amazing Adventures!

PostPosted: Jul 23rd, '10, 07:16 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
I could not tell in the video but it looked like the overflow was just an elbow near the surface of the water with some netting over it? Is that the case?

Here is a diagram of how I usually do my SLO drains

So I put a T up at the intended water line and the top of it keeps the tank from siphoning or can even act as an emergency overflow if for some reason the pipe down to near the bottom of the fish tank gets blocked. This will allow solids, fish poo, uneaten food to get sucked up the SLO which stands for solids lifting overflow (or the drain once known as a venturi drain)

And then to keep your fish from getting stuck in the water flow. I would use some sort of basket zip tied to the pipe with the netting wrapped around that to keep the fish further back from the strong flow into the end of the pipe so hopefully they can't get stuck there again.
As a basket to do this I have used those little plastic baskets that strawberries sometimes come in since they are flexible enough to mush into shape and zip tie with the netting around it.

On my big system I actually attached grates or grills to the ends of the pipes but that system uses 3" pipes.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Jul 23rd, '10, 08:31 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Depends on the time
I put a PVC cap on the end of my SLO and drilled LOTS of 1/4" holes in it and the sides of the pipe up to about 2". Works a treat :)

Cheers
Rob

Remember. If you have never failed, you have never tried.

PostPosted: Jul 23rd, '10, 17:20 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Its not an elbow but is a T, as per the same diagram you posted TCL, thats what I drew the design from ;] however I think what I did wrong was not make enough space for water to enter at the bottom. The basket idea is a good one, current solution is somewhat like that, but I found some grill lieing on the roof today so going to fit that up around it tomm and hopefully next time I empty the FT will put loads of holes into the bottom of the SLO, that oughta fix it. Right now the 'emergency' overflow at the top is where pretty much all the water is going from.

Woke up this morning to hear a whole load of rain hammering on the skylight, ran up to the system and covered the extension with some plastic and a couple of the GB's too to keep rainwater from getting in, fish looked fine, plants not so much....

My rooftop systems
My YouTube channel
My Amazing Adventures!

PostPosted: Jul 23rd, '10, 21:20 

Are you human?: YES at least mostly
You might want to add an overflow to your sump tank in case of heavy rain in the future, that way you don't need to worry about covering things.

as for your SLO, you might just give it a little twist (if that won't break the seal and cause it to leak) so that it is at an angle and the water can enter the bottom pipe better, but then you will need to protect the bottom of the pipe to keep the fish from getting sucked in there.

Old 300 gallon System

PostPosted: Jul 24th, '10, 05:15 
In need of a life
In need of a life

naw TCL its a good idea but alas the seal will break. Am going to do what my driver suggested, have had him helping me out with things and have passed the obsession on to him :D, will empty the FT to clean it next weekend, will then heat a screw driver hot red and poke a nunber of holes into the bottom of the pipe, that ought to make it run...

For the time being are there any studies/discussions about hydroponics vs. aquaponics floating around the forum...? and whats the largest system any of our members is running...?

My rooftop systems
My YouTube channel
My Amazing Adventures!

PostPosted: Jul 24th, '10, 21:18 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Y: I have affadavit
abdul wrote:
naw TCL its a good idea but alas the seal will break. Am going to do what my driver suggested, have had him helping me out with things and have passed the obsession on to him :D, will empty the FT to clean it next weekend, will then heat a screw driver hot red and poke a nunber of holes into the bottom of the pipe, that ought to make it run...

If the venturi is not restricting flow, then it must be the bottom of the pipe. I would cut the pipe underwater and use a fitting or three to adjust the end slightly (maybe 1/2cm?) off the tank bottom, but I worry about breaking your tank seal. Uniseals or bulkhead fittings are very nice and there are probably some good local options you could use. I never use glue inside the tank unless I am using a no-holes overflow: who cares if something leaks inside the sump or fish tank? Only use glue where it matters.

abdul wrote:
For the time being are there any studies/discussions about hydroponics vs. aquaponics floating around the forum...? and whats the largest system any of our members is running...?

Check out Syaptoman's threads. He has done at least a couple commercial systems that seemed successful.

abdul wrote:
On another note met a consultant today who's run a number of large fish farms. He told me that all fish farming in Pakistan is done in large ponds/dams/reservoirs. The water doesn't get changed until the batch of fish are completely harvested then all of it is changed. It is only aerated, is open to the sun and he told me that one hour of the air pump running was enough for 24 hours for the fish to live. This confuses me as I understood through reading on the forum firstly that 24/7 aeration is essential and second that the water MUST be changed or the nitrate concentration will kill the fish. The fish that are farmed are mainly local variety, 'Rau' being most popular and carp, 'chinese carp' he called it. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please...?

Aeration needs depend on your stocking density. If you have a kilo of fish per 100,000 liters or per 100m^2 of surface then natural aeration is probably fine, but if you have a kilo per 10 liters you will probably need to inject pure oxygen and have other extreme measures and will have fish kills if they fail for a quarter hour. It also depends heavily on temperatures: at high temps the fish are more active and water can hold very little O2, so deaths are more likely and added aeration is more necessary.

Nitrates are fine for many fish in levels up to hundreds or even thousands, although it depends somewhat on fish species and fish age. And the plants love it! It may be more of a concern with eggs or fry.

abdul wrote:
Also, very exciting news, met an investor today regarding his obsession with hydropnics, went and sold him on aquaponics. He has land 3 and a half hours out of the city where he is growing vegetables, and has an old fish farm there, at LEAST half an acre the pond is, larger I'm told. I have a free hand to do as I please to establish a greenhouse and run it on aquaponics along with whatever funds i would need. Will be visiting it in a couple of weeks when I get done with playing deputy governor danforth in a production of Miller's "The crucible". So you guys can expect a while new set of queries from me regarding large systems and greenhouses and the such.

Sweet!

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 889 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 60  Next