All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 635 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 43  Next
PostPosted: Sep 14th, '10, 20:55 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Yes, I think?
James7 wrote:
Hi,

New to this forum, but have been a reader of it for some time. Have to say that your system looks great mate, fantastic job and it appears you have further inspired quite a few around here.
I am looking to set up a similar system and have found a provider of an IBC container /bulka bin which I am planning to pick up this weekend. My only concern is the quality of plastic (is it toxic?) for keeping fish that I intend to eat. My supplier advises that the tanks previously held cemment, but has been steam cleaned. Do you think this would be safe enough to use. Or should I specifically shop around for an IBC tank that was previously used to contain food grade items.
Your views/opinions are most appreciated.
Cheers

James

Just give them a real good wash out and sit for week in the elements, then do it again.
your fish will tell you if you have any issues. or even better you can do what freo said in growing algae.

So far so good with mine anyhow :whistle: :whistle:

Regards
Matt

Chilly tankhttp://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9917

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '10, 14:47 

Are you human?: mostly
HDPE or food grade is the way to go IMHO, if you dont get these you will have nasty things like estrogens leaking into your fish (not killing them) bioaccumulaing and then messing up your insides when you eat em . . . :color: :sad4:

Freo system | Spearwood
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '10, 16:57 

Are you human?: YES
It is proving to be an interesting topic, plenty of people are asking the same question as it turns out. I spoke with a few friends who advise that most of the tanks (IBC) are of food grade plastic anyway, but it depends on what substance they previously contained. In this instance, the substance was cement and has since been steam cleaned. I am not entirely sure how much residue is left or if any plastic does actually get contaminated. The general consensus so far is that it does not and all you are required to do is give it a good clean.

Cement is obviously toxic, not sure how it would be stored in a liquid form (it is clear to see that I don't work in construction) so this does concern me. Perhaps I should just stop skimping on the budget and buy a system that is guaranteed not to harm me down the line... Still in the short term setting up an IBC system is still very attractive in thought to me....

Ahhh decisions decisions!

james

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '10, 17:13 

fyi my system (1000l gb and 1000L ft) has cost me $1112.65 inc fish veggies and water. equivalent BYAP system is the entertainer $3375 not inc fish and vegies. worth putting it together IMO

Freo system | Spearwood
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '10, 20:38 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Hi James,
IMHO any IBC liner that is "white" in colour is OK for use in AP. Just hire a High Pressure water jet and give it 2 or 3 good sprays and let it rest for a couple of weeks in the sun before putting into service.
This is the basis for a system that is going to last you for many years, so it's best to just take your time and do the best you can to promote that outcome. A couple of weeks to get your siphons working, your pumps in order and the plumbing without leaks etc, without fish, plants or media is a little time well spent.
We may be in the age of instant gratification, but unfortunately AP doesn't fit that mould. Rush it and you will kill fish!! kill plants! and kill enthusiasm!
I have seen anedotally and found personally, that IBC's can be the basis of a great stand alone system, as long as you take your time. I still haven't introduced fish or even media to the GB of my IBC system as yet. It will go through at least another couple of weeks of pumping, by-passing through the venturi, turning over the tank volume in less than once an hour and fiddling to get to know the "mechanics" of the system before committing to Plants and Fish. Sure, this may not sit well with those who want a working system NOW! but that's the way I do it and it has proved (as most other systems have proved) that patience is really a virtue!!

Quality far outlasts any cost considerations, regardless of where that quality comes from. If you are capable of planning and fabricating a quality system on your own, then go for it. For others, purchasing a proven, viable and productive system components to suit your particular circumstance for physical or financial position or confidence, is the right way to go. Concrete (not Cement!! Cement is only 1 part of Concrete, along with coarse and fine aggregates, plus water, as a minimum) tanks have been used sucessfully by many on this forum and others, so don't let that deter your range of choices for construction.

I chose Mega-Bins and IBC's as my containers, for Fish Tanks, of choice because of price, portability and the convenience of supply here in Brisbane and I have fabricated my Grow Beds from left over building materials that suit the Aesthetics of my house. Nothing more, nothing less!

If I choose to go a bit bigger (which I surely will!!), then I will be purchasing Grow Beds and possibly Fish Tanks, from my local supplier as I can afford them.
I am sure you will come to a positive and satisfying resolution in the development of your system by continuing to glean and apply all the positive information from the contributors to this (and other like) forums and information centres.

Good luck on your journey;
Cheers IanK

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '10, 22:53 

+1 for taking your time . . .wont make the mistake of throwing it all together and see what happens again . . .

Freo system | Spearwood
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '10, 09:09 

Gents thanks very much for your input. It is greatly appreciated, and having done much research on the topic now I agree that it is the way to go for getting my first system up and running.
I certainly do have the patience (well at least I think I do) and the time (recent footie injury + full knee reconstruction = a very short time off work) to plan out my system and possibly put some of it together.
I called up VIP Packaging in Fremantle (WA) to enquire about any available IBC stock – haven’t heard back yet. I guess Ian I am still concerned about the idea of having concrete chemicals seep into the plastic. I think my solution (piece of mind) is to look for another IBC that has previously contained food or detergent in them.

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '10, 09:56 

look what i found :D
Attachment:
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG [ 56.51 KiB | Viewed 1980 times ]

found it on the verge... currently holds 2 fem and 1 male paradise fish which im trying to breed (any tips) and then will hold some barra fingerlings or yabbie babies . . . its 65ish L
oh how i love council pickup :headbang:

Freo system | Spearwood
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '10, 10:00 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Aye Aye
Get a GB on top of that badboy and begone with your filter!

A $25 AP750 pump from 'B' and some plumbing for an autosiphon will set you up just niiiiice!

BTx

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '10, 10:05 

:laughing3: i like your thinking . . . no filter on it atm as the water needs to keep nice and still for the male to build his bubble nest . . . but im thinking sme floating lettuce rafts might just do the trick :)

Freo system | Spearwood
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '10, 13:38 

I obviously need to start driving around Freo.

I spoke to a guy in Maddington who stocks IBC tanks. Couple of options available but again with tanks previously containing urea or citrus degreaser. Both have been cleaned, selling IBC for $150. Pretty good deal I reckon

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '10, 13:46 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

James7 wrote:
I obviously need to start driving around Freo.

I spoke to a guy in Maddington who stocks IBC tanks. Couple of options available but again with tanks previously containing urea or citrus degreaser. Both have been cleaned, selling IBC for $150. Pretty good deal I reckon

Take a look in the gumtree - search 'tanks' (with the s) and some IBCs come up. $120 and in Kenwick, if I recall correctly? !

There's also another on there for $80, but with a hole cut in the top of it.

I have a chopped n flipped IBC in my backyard, already drilled and plumbed for timed F&D or autosiphon. It's surplus to needs. Make an offer!

BTx

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '10, 13:49 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

... Poor FreoBoy - him AND is hi-jacked thread!

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '10, 13:53 

hmm and flogging stuff on my thread to bt :naughty: hahaha i atleast get to know where the cheap IBC's are. if i could id go snap some up and store em away for future use :)

Freo system | Spearwood
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sep 16th, '10, 14:05 

yeah poor form, sorry freoboy

In turn when I (if) get a thread that is as popular as yours then you can have first dibs on hijacking it mate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 635 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 43  Next