All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Aug 7th, '10, 18:53 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Hi all!

just thought i would start a new thread specifically on this subject as i have been replying on other peoples post about it so far....

thanks guys for all the inputs so far, thanks Francois for all your input!

I am planning on setting up an aquaponics system at an orphanage in Orissa, India stating later this year.

I've drawn up a model on sketchup (wicked program:) of the system that I am most happy with suited to the situation in india!

It is a DWC system based largely on ideas from Francois,
Basically in includes 2 seperate systems each with 2 fish tanks, water is gravity fed from fish tanks to DWC channels and then runs into a sump which runs along side of the grow beds back to the fish tanks, which means minimal travel for water pumped back to FT as pump is located right next to tank. Sump tanks are used to grow duck weed for fish and worm farms...
For the orphanage I wanted to set up a system that is very simple, reliable and has a high out put. with the 8 channels I want to focus on around 8 differnt vegetables, where each channell is planted on the side closest to the fish tanks with seedlings grown on the nft tables above the sump channels and harvested on the side furthest from the fish tanks, with simple planting and harvesting calenders to keep a constant flow of produce, (to supply the needs of about 100 kids)....

the swirl filters will remove the main solids which will the be dumped in the worm farms that run along the back wall.
The area where the FTs are will be covered by a roof to allow for rain water collection 4 large tanks and to mount the solar power system...

all in all the whole system will hold about 150 000L of water including reserves...

Fish used will be Talapia....

i'm planning on going back in october to get a start on the build of the system...and then will go back at the start of next year to get it up and running and make sure it all works well for about 6months, I hope my wife will last that long:)

any way I will attach the sketch up model, and look forward to any ideas, anything at all that you think would be better, or materials to be used to build in india, pumps, air pumps...any thing....

materials at the moment...i think will be, brick grow bed channels lined with 2mm HDPE sheeting, comes in rolls 2000mm wide, widest i have found so far in india, which would allow for channels of internal ca. 1200mm....
fish tanks and rain water tanks I think I will get made from poly, resonable priced in idia...and I think from all the options probably the best.....

anyway...I gotta scoot now....

but thanks in advance for any help guys...

cheers

Attachments:
orphanageaquaponics.jpg
orphanageaquaponics.jpg [ 123.11 KiB | Viewed 3472 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 7th, '10, 22:16 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Sounds a great project, Looking at your design, should your grow beds be shorter, I'm thinking of the time taken to fill each bed and drain them ?
I think others are better qualified and experienced than me, and will offer a bit of advice.
Just wanted to say - go for it. :headbang:

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish (and grow) and he'll feed always.

PostPosted: Aug 7th, '10, 23:41 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

heres a top view.....showing layout

the wall around the system is existing...this is the area i have to work with....

and i should probably have posted this in "international"...only realised that after... i'm not sure how to move it...?
cheers

Attachments:
top view.jpg
top view.jpg [ 118.42 KiB | Viewed 3438 times ]
PostPosted: Aug 8th, '10, 07:24 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

phred wrote:
Sounds a great project, Looking at your design, should your grow beds be shorter, I'm thinking of the time taken to fill each bed and drain them ?

He's not using grow beds. They're Deep Water Channels. Ideal for rafts of lettuce etc. Quite frankly, this looks like an awesome setup.

I would suggest that you're probably going to want to provide cover over the FT area. You might also want some standard grow beds (or are those the stands at the side/back?) for a variety of plants. Also DWC will need solids removal. If you can arrange it so that the solids get separated and go into a set of normal growbeds then you're onto a winner. I can't wait to see the photos as this gets setup.

PostPosted: Aug 8th, '10, 13:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Interesting looking project. :thumbright: Which direction is south? Just wondering about the sunlight for the two channels against the walls. And will you be able to access the two channels that are right up against the walls?

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Aug 8th, '10, 18:03 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

side channels are only duckweed sumps so don't think they need full sun all the time....and seedling germination tables...

PostPosted: Aug 9th, '10, 19:18 

Are you human?: YES
Hi there,
I Live in Broken Hill and saw your article about setting up in India.
I am involved in Running some homes in India and have been looking for details to set up a fish farm, and using the waste to assist in growing veggies....
What you are suggesting Looks awesome... Can you call me or send me your email address so I can get your number to talk. I am taking a group to India in November and I see you are thinking of getting started in Oct. Would love to talk and get some ideas, maybe share some expenses or get a better deal buying more... Regards David 0412638390

PostPosted: Aug 9th, '10, 21:35 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

G'day David!

a small world:) I was talking to Don Williams about a week ago and he told me you were looking into starting up something in the direction of aquaponics at the homes! Yeah we could definately work something out.

my email is i_ngsi@hotmail.com
phone 0421199205

cheers mate

PostPosted: Aug 11th, '10, 18:35 

pm me, I may have something of interest.

PostPosted: Aug 12th, '10, 19:35 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

hi eaglerm

i did pm you but not sure if it worked as it is still in outbox? otherwise just write to my email...cheers

i_ngsi@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Aug 12th, '10, 23:43 
If the message is still in your "outbox".... it means it hasn't been read yet...

When it's read... it moves to the "sent" box...

PostPosted: Aug 13th, '10, 06:47 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

:thumbright: ok cheers

PostPosted: Aug 14th, '10, 19:32 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

hey guys!

another request!

The orphanage also runs a school and the idea is to make the aquaponics system part of the school...as in, one class everyday keeps up the maintenance of the system, feeding harvesting etc. while also learning how to look after it etc...

and some of the teachers will be the ones responsible for it once it is up and running and they know what to do...

my request is for info on or teaching material, any info that has been put together in a way to teach others ( teachers and also students, all ages) any thing that you might think useful, simple yet very informative and also technical....

books, data keeping, pdf files etc...

thanks again!! all help is very much appreciated!!!! :thumbright: :thumbright:

PostPosted: Aug 14th, '10, 19:37 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

and also....what are your ideas on the system....should I leave it as 2 seperate systems each with 2 tanks and 4 beds linked or split it into 4 completely seperate systems?
idea is also to build it in stages so that design mistakes can be fixed from one stage to the next....

advantages and disadvantages....

:thumbleft:

PostPosted: Aug 14th, '10, 19:44 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

option as 4 seperate systems rather than 2

Attachments:
option2.jpg
option2.jpg [ 56.55 KiB | Viewed 3044 times ]