All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 651 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Nov 24th, '10, 09:32 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: What time is it?
(Sorry - laughing smiley overkill...wont do that again :oops: )

Our System:
viewtopic.php?t=8016

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 24th, '10, 09:34 

Blog: View Blog (1)
Are you human?: Not in the morning !
cool, yeah, definitely need the sleeves. My drains are getting quite blocked regularly by roots from my tomatoes at the moment. Only thing is I have 150mm pipe around mine as my freakish hands don't even fit into 90mm pipe !

My System: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5264
My Website: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
My Blog: http://www.seaweedguy.com

PostPosted: Nov 24th, '10, 09:39 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Actually Chillidude, WAS thinking of something larger but was worried they would be too big - do you find any probs with them taking up too much room? Also if they are able to be spun, how much do they fix root invasion probs, or do the roots just wrap around and still slow down water flow?

Our System:
viewtopic.php?t=8016

PostPosted: Nov 24th, '10, 21:04 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Have another question to put out there that Im not sure what we are going to settle on yet... what do you use for standpipes in the fishtanks? Keeping in mind mine are polymaster cone bottomed tanks. I know you can get them from aquasonic etc made for that purpose, but is there a mesh that can be used - metal or plastic, or just PVC with a crapload of holes drilled into them?

Will post some more pics cause I can... and cause they are there :D

Attachments:
File comment: Fittings in top tank of two tier yabby set-ups - waiting for standpipes - will be 90mm overflow ATM with a mesh insert at top. Thinking this will be good for yabbies, fingerlings and/or duckweed to stop them passing down into lower tank. Unsure of what this will mean for water quality issues though.
_IGP1921 (640x428).jpg
_IGP1921 (640x428).jpg [ 79.62 KiB | Viewed 2629 times ]
File comment: The drainage fittings sitting in place before being fixed in-line.
We are going to have all drainage pipe on surface before being buried under walkway before the sump tank - interested to see temp differences between buried pipe from GBs and this set-up with summer and winter temps - may have to bury yet but hubby was concerned that these would be an easy kick/trip point, so wants all piping for these exposed for visibility... he has very large feet!

_IGP1920 (640x428).jpg
_IGP1920 (640x428).jpg [ 143.35 KiB | Viewed 2631 times ]
File comment: Mesh inserts attached to stop yabbies climbing through pipework.
_IGP1919 (640x428).jpg
_IGP1919 (640x428).jpg [ 124.9 KiB | Viewed 2630 times ]

Our System:
viewtopic.php?t=8016
PostPosted: Nov 24th, '10, 21:12 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Hows this for recycling... using cut-outs from holesaw to cap inside drainage holes. :) (not glued yet, but it'll fix the problem of quite a few broken and leaky taps we thought!)

Attachments:
_IGP1922 (640x428).jpg
_IGP1922 (640x428).jpg [ 78.62 KiB | Viewed 2621 times ]
_IGP1923 (640x428).jpg
_IGP1923 (640x428).jpg [ 75.26 KiB | Viewed 2622 times ]

Our System:
viewtopic.php?t=8016
PostPosted: Nov 24th, '10, 22:56 
Up there for dancing netab... :cheers:

PostPosted: Nov 25th, '10, 06:10 

Are you human?: Daughters think not
100mm PVC fits in my polymaster tank sump hole. Just end capped a short length and drilled lots of holes. Also made sure there are a lot of holes level with the bottom of the tank so that crap can easily get out

PostPosted: Nov 25th, '10, 08:05 

Blog: View Blog (1)
Are you human?: Not in the morning !
netab32 wrote:
Actually Chillidude, WAS thinking of something larger but was worried they would be too big - do you find any probs with them taking up too much room? Also if they are able to be spun, how much do they fix root invasion probs, or do the roots just wrap around and still slow down water flow?

No, I certainly don't think they're too big, but I have the BYAP GBs so they're a little bigger than yours. I don't have a lot of choice anyway.

Actually, I don't know if I can spin the outer sleeves as I haven't tried. Seeing as I can get my hand down in there to grab the roots, I haven't needed to.

My System: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5264
My Website: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
My Blog: http://www.seaweedguy.com

PostPosted: Nov 25th, '10, 16:41 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: could be I guess
:wave1: I've been looking at your 2 tier tanks and wondering how well do the top halves sit on the bottom halves, do they actually lock into place?

I would like to do the same design if I get mine next week...but....want to leave the forklift spaces at the bottom along with the tap. (I rent so want to be able to load them on a truck when I move)
So I'm thinking about just cutting the IBC and the cage at the 2nd square down and flipping the top over....since you are now the authority in halving IBC's :D whatcha reckon :dontknow:

http://www.backyardfarming.com.au/phpbb ... f=24&t=270

PostPosted: Nov 25th, '10, 18:48 
Legend Member
Legend Member

gnash06 wrote:
:wave1: I've been looking at your 2 tier tanks and wondering how well do the top halves sit on the bottom halves, do they actually lock into place?

I would like to do the same design if I get mine next week...but....want to leave the forklift spaces at the bottom along with the tap. (I rent so want to be able to load them on a truck when I move)
So I'm thinking about just cutting the IBC and the cage at the 2nd square down and flipping the top over....since you are now the authority in halving IBC's :D whatcha reckon :dontknow:

Hey Gnash, to answer... the IBCs are made to stack on to each other anyway, so we just took advantage of that by cutting them at the 2nd square from the bottom, then sitting the bottom onto the top - but pulled the larger plastic section out and spun it around. We did it this way as the top of the IBC cages are reinforced for strength anyway.

So if you wanted to, the top section could be forklifted as its still the origional base, but the lower section is just sitting directly on the ground with the frame over it - I dont know how you would go moving it unless you had a pallet under it - which is something we originally thought of doing.

Doing it this way makes the whole set-up really strong as the top GB does lock in to place at the corners. Hubby tested it by jumping on it, as well as us filling the first one with water and leaving the bottom one empty just to see how much movement we could get out of it. On top of that we placed the whole thing on a 30degree angle with what we felt was the weakest corner at the lowest point, left it for 4 weeks, and occasionally kicking... jumping... sledgehammering it to test - No movement whatsoever!

We were thinking of using a different design using the taps but the quotes we got for accessories were rediculously overpriced. :shock:

Just let me know if you would like any more close-ups of the cut IBCs - cropped one photo for a close-up view...

Attachments:
_IGP1925 (640x523).jpg
_IGP1925 (640x523).jpg [ 125.54 KiB | Viewed 2519 times ]

Our System:
viewtopic.php?t=8016
PostPosted: Nov 26th, '10, 05:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

PS: made sure we chose the IBCs with the best bases out of the pile - most importantly the corners. The side bars can be a bit bent right at the bottom but they are easily hammered in line so that the corners can click into place.

Our System:
viewtopic.php?t=8016

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '10, 06:45 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: could be I guess
:thumbleft: Thanks for that, I usually have them in the yard where i work to go have a look at but none there atm.

http://www.backyardfarming.com.au/phpbb ... f=24&t=270

PostPosted: Nov 26th, '10, 07:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Ahhh no worries. Even ones with corners that seem a bit shabby are sturdy once there is weight in them which is good :)
We were pretty rough with the test one just to make sure (hubby demonstrated with violent boot contact to ease my mind) mainly because one of the kids was found playing hide and seek in the bottom section the day after we filled up the top with water to the brim...and I nearly had a heart attack. :shock: :pale: :angel2: still couldn't get the thing to budge tho!

PS we did originally spin the top section and push to the back to allow access to the bottom tank like some have set theirs up - if you do it that way by cutting 2 squares from the top and flipping over you would still have the forklift holes at the bottom to move easier - but as we were never planning to move them we just did it this way - seemed stronger and its easier to get to the back of the growbed if you have a bank of them as the bottom one isnt sticking out that extra 1/2 foot.

Our System:
viewtopic.php?t=8016

PostPosted: Nov 27th, '10, 21:31 
Legend Member
Legend Member

mantis wrote:
100mm PVC fits in my polymaster tank sump hole. Just end capped a short length and drilled lots of holes. Also made sure there are a lot of holes level with the bottom of the tank so that crap can easily get out

Thanks mantis, can you tell me what size tank that would be for, Im wondering if all polymaster tanks have the same size sump hole?

Our System:
viewtopic.php?t=8016

PostPosted: Nov 27th, '10, 21:40 
Legend Member
Legend Member

chillidude wrote:
netab32 wrote:

No, I certainly don't think they're too big, but I have the BYAP GBs so they're a little bigger than yours. I don't have a lot of choice anyway.

Actually, I don't know if I can spin the outer sleeves as I haven't tried. Seeing as I can get my hand down in there to grab the roots, I haven't needed to.

Thanks chillidude, I think we might experiment with a couple of different sizes to see what works best - love a good experiment :wink:
Will probably try leaving the sleeves loose so that we can turn them, not sure how difficult it will make it when filling GBs with gravel tho - will just have to try it and see what happens (standard AP catchphrase isnt it?)

Our System:
viewtopic.php?t=8016

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 651 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 44  Next