All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Dec 15th, '11, 11:20 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: yes
they are cut down ibc's on milk crates, one tote on 6 points (12 crates), it was just to lay it out at first, but i might try it because the height works out pretty well

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 21st, '12, 03:41 
A posting God
A posting God

got the ok to order gravel, so i'll be trying to find some this weekend (i need 3 yards) but it's been snowing quite a bit, so we'll see..
in the meantime, i finally got my rosy reds to spawn, and have baby minnows..
put lots of daphnia in their tank and got the dad minnow out (rosy red male's protect the eggs)
it took a few tries to get them to hatch, but i think i have it figured out..
once i move the perch and bluegill into the pool, i'll have 5 55 gallon tanks for minnow and crayfish breeding.. i found a source for scuds, so i'll probably be setting up a culture of them soon too..
it's nice having something to do now that we're finally getting into winter (had 2' of snow last weekend)

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '12, 10:48 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Sounds like things are progressing well. What is your favorite way to serve the crayfish?

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '12, 22:15 
A posting God
A posting God

i haven't eaten any yet, but one of my plans is for a risotto..
i'm still thinking about making a "seafood chilli"...
trying to order my gravel this week (3 yards!)

PostPosted: Jan 31st, '12, 23:00 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Sadly... yes
Shoveling gravel in the cold... Not my idea of fun.

Then again, that's what you pay someone else for. Like a teenager with lots of energy. Or contact your local sherrif to see if he has someone you can "borrow" for a few hours.

The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan. You just have to be able to modify the plan.

Mr Bill's System
Mr Bill's Future System
Mr Bill's Dirt Garden

PostPosted: Apr 3rd, '12, 01:18 
A posting God
A posting God

finally ordered my gravel.. 3 yards to be delivered on wednesday afternoon, (i tested it with vinegar, looks good)
now to get serious with the plumbing, started cleaning up this weekend, had to reset my daphnia cultures after being out of town for lots of long weekends lately, one more traveling weekend for work, but i can get some other stuff done in the meantime (maybe i can pick up some more fish on my way home from detroit)
right now, i have 5 55gal tanks (all full of water), 2 20gal (that still have to be set up), 3 10gal for the daphnia that i'll restart this month..
and i'll be able to move the perch and bg to the pool!
slowly but surely..
gotta get a camera!

PostPosted: Apr 4th, '12, 23:07 

Hey Keith, basement is lookin great!

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Apr 5th, '12, 22:11 
A posting God
A posting God

thanks! gravel delivered yesterday, siliconed fittings on the growbeds, and laid out the 4" drain, figured i'll start out trying to suspend the drain from the ceiling
so hopefully this weekend i'll be able to start bringing the gravel into the basement! pics to come

PostPosted: Apr 19th, '12, 21:53 
A posting God
A posting God

been working at my job on a project that has kept me from making any progress on my ap - disaster recovery and data protection.. fun fun... been up way to late staring at a computer screen for too many nights..
i had put in for the morning off yesterday to help my son (get a rental truck) who is moving to the same town i live it..so i was looking forward to sleeping in.. woke up once very early, and on my way to the bathroom, i saw something on the floor, thought it was either a cat toy, or cat vomit (it was dark!) so when i carefully tried to pick it up, it was a crayfish (which normally lives in the basement in a tank) - it was still alive but covered in dust and dirt, so i stumbled downstairs and let it go in the pool - i couldn't plug the light in with one hand holding the cray, so it was gone by the time the light came on, so i went back to bed.. after picking up the truck and going back home to shower before work, i decided to check if there was a dead cray in the pool.. that's when i realized that it wasn't one of the crays from the pool, it was my lone marmokreb that has her own 55 gallon tank, so i looked in the pool, and luckily found her, she was missing a leg and one of her eyes was kind of hanging out of her head,, i put her in the other standalone tank - it has lots of snails, and i'm pretty sure she's been keeping the snails in check in the other tank..
i knew that crays could re-grow appendages, but apparently, they will regrow an eye as well - although much slower when older.. she's been hiding in the tank but i did see one of her antaenna twitching around.. i hope she makes it

PostPosted: Apr 19th, '12, 23:29 

Are you human?: I'm a pleasure droid
Wow, a real life wild drama going on there!

Plant and fish pictures are money

PostPosted: May 4th, '12, 08:26 
A posting God
A posting God

I need some ideas

i just scored 4 doors.. .these are interior office doors, 8'4" x 3'x 1-3/4" (2.54m x .9m x 4.5cm) solid wood.. they were $5 each, and as soon as i looked at them i thought ft...(got a nice sturdy table for 5 bucks too)

i've got the 8' (2.4m) dia pool that a diy tank would replace, and be a better use of space..

i set up 3 ibc tote halves for growbeds for the pool, was just going to use a 4th half tote as a sump off the pool.. at the fill line the pool hold around 700 gallons (2650 liters)

i scored the doors today, so i'm just starting to think about how i'll use them to build a tank.. my vacation starts tomorrow so when i get going, it's going to happen fast, and i'm not sure how it will turn out.. i'm looking for some ideas. the more my brain has to think about the better (at last i think so)

i've got flood levels set on the 3 growbeds (please look back at the basement pics) the ibc closest to the doorway was the planned sump with the pool ft.. but if i build a bigger ft, i'll probably turn that into a gb since i already have the fittings.. but then how do i move the water... external pump? i don't like that idea.. there is room behind the door for another half ibc, but i don't know if that would be a big enough sump for 4 half ibc gb's.. or constant flood with no sump, but still.. where to put the pump? build a "box" in the ft?

how about some input? wwyd?
:think:

new system/new thread time?
i better get a camera

PostPosted: May 5th, '12, 02:10 
A posting God
A posting God

nuttin? no ideas?
i'm not sure if i'll got a full 8' (2.4m) square tank, or an 8' x 6' (2.4m x 1.8m) rectangle..
as far as making the tank (the engineering side of it), i'm thinking 4 4x4 (90mmx90mm) corner posts, 3 braces all the way around (2x4 on edge) - 1 at the bottom, one in the middle, and 1 at the top.. i think the tank will be 30" deep
then either a billboard tarp for the liner, or a pond liner (but i hate having a black bottom and not being able to see the fish)
still not sure about where to put the pump.. stick with 3 gb's, and keep the sump, or pump in the ft..

PostPosted: May 5th, '12, 05:14 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Sadly... yes
Cool, good score.

Rectangle fish tank sounds good as it gives them more room to swim. And it's more appealing to me than a round tank - a waste of space - in my never-so-humble opinion. What will you use for the bottom of the tank? The newly aquired table top? Since they are solid hardwood, lag bolts should hold them together nicely.

Will the tank be raised above the growbeds for a gravity fed system? Then you wouldn't need a pump for the tank (thinking JT's AP GH system thread). Don't know what the doors are coated with. Is it possible to sand them down and coat them with some type of fish safe epoxy (now I'm thinking Ryans Backyard sytem)

And what type of material is the billboard tarp made out of? Actually waterproof or just water resistant? There is a difference. I believe water resistant means the material will shed water if it is not actually immersed in liquid. Might break down if immersed for a long period of time. And I haven't a clue as to their chemical compounds and being fish/plant safe. If you already have the liner and it's large enough that has my vote. Then there are always waterproof lights to consider to be able to see the fish... Now where did I read that?

Ah, I think it was in the "IBC's of AP" document that someone used waterproof lights and had the added benefit of attracting insects for free fish food.

The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan. You just have to be able to modify the plan.

Mr Bill's System
Mr Bill's Future System
Mr Bill's Dirt Garden

PostPosted: May 5th, '12, 21:47 
A posting God
A posting God

got a free pond liner last night, not sure of the size, but at least 15' (4.5m) square..
the tanks is going to sit on the floor, i'm thinking of making a base similar to jt's,
growbeds are elevated
i had a light in my black stock tank (i used in my first system) but i still couldn't see much of the fish..
i'm thinking i'll use a couple of thin white pvc sheets (the bathroom surround stuff) in the bottom to provide the visibility
vacation started but the wife has quite the honey do list.. but i will get the growbeds filled with gravel, and if i don't get to building the pond yet, i still have the pool, already running with a bunch of minnows and crays
right now, with the pool, i'll use a half tote for a sump that the ft will drain to, pumping to 3 half ibc gb's from the sump, and drain them back to the ft

PostPosted: May 11th, '12, 22:30 
A posting God
A posting God

been pretty busy this week, but taking care of the system little by little - i filled 3 half ibc growbeds with gravel, and started the pump last night! it was getting late by the time the water started flowing, and i found that either; my pump is too big, or the drain from the pool to the sump is too small,
..so i shut it down, and after a shower went to bed, thinking i'd go get a smaller pump today.. when i woke up today, i realized i just need to divert some of the flow to the growbeds back into the sump (doh).. amazing what a good night sleep will do for the brain!
so, i need to add a T to the supply header, and a valve to adjust flow,, hang lights, and plant some seeds..
i'll let the system run with just the minnows and crays in the pool for a while, and keep testing.. i should be ready to move the perch in a few weeks.. found some local tilapia too, i'm going to get a few and see how they do with the water around 70f

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next