All times are UTC + 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 16:29 
Offline
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Nov 9th, '10, 16:38
Posts: 79
Location: Thornlie, Perth
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Yes
Location: Australia, Perth
Well after scouring this forum many times over I thought I may as well post my own effort at a home made aquaponics set up.
2 IBC's with the top cut off to make the beds, pea gravel in the beds, an old pipe to join the 2 tubs to allow for a bigger pond area, and some tables built out of scrap wood.
Has been cycling about a week, added some plants, then 30 little silver perch and 4 yabbies yesterday.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Attachments:
P1010097.JPG
P1010097.JPG [ 465.78 KiB | Viewed 5087 times ]
P1010104.JPG
P1010104.JPG [ 366.44 KiB | Viewed 5087 times ]
P1010096.JPG
P1010096.JPG [ 349.05 KiB | Viewed 5085 times ]

_________________
Jason has - Deb the wife, Epi and Xave the dogs, Nala and Indie the cats, Tom, Dick, Harry and Beka the chooks....will it ever end?

My System
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8673
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
    Advertisement
 
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 16:37 
Offline
Legend Member
Legend Member
User avatar

Joined: May 28th, '10, 12:04
Posts: 712
Location: Preston, Vic
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Yes
Location: Preston Vic, Australia
Welcome Sunyata! :wave1:

Love what you have done, looks fantastic. :cheers:

Since you AP system has been only cycling for a week you will need to keep an eye on the ammonia levels.

Have you bought your self a test kit yet?

The Sp's I'm guessing are only small? If so I would keep the food to them at a minimum till your ammonia has spiked and then settled back down. They won't starve just one small feed a day til you are fully cycled.

Be sure to keep sending the photos and keeping us informed of how you are progressing. Any questions just ask, the forum is very generous with it's time and brains trust!

:flower:

_________________
Brett C

Experience is something you get just after you needed it!

Backyard Affnan Style Siphon: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7949

http://www.allthingsaquaponics.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 16:44 
Welcome Sunyata... and nicely done with the system...


Top
  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 17:14 
Offline
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Nov 9th, '10, 16:38
Posts: 79
Location: Thornlie, Perth
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Yes
Location: Australia, Perth
Thanks guys
I was just pleased when it all cycled through, getting the water go round was satisfying! 8)
Yeah the SP are only small, thought that way it might help reduce the ammonia spike somewhat, plus having a few plants and some duckweed.
Have the test kit, so far so good, though the Ph is a little on the high side but I gather that is more due to the use of pea gravel?
Cheers

_________________
Jason has - Deb the wife, Epi and Xave the dogs, Nala and Indie the cats, Tom, Dick, Harry and Beka the chooks....will it ever end?

My System
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8673


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 17:20 
Offline
In need of a life
In need of a life
User avatar

Joined: May 28th, '10, 15:40
Posts: 1508
Location: Strathfieldsaye Bendigo, VIC
Gender: Male
Blog: View Blog (1)
Are you human?: salmonid
Location: Bendigo - Central VIC
Welcome!! :wave:

Looking Great!!! Nice system there you have!!! Good to see yet another backyard on the path to Self Sufficiency!

you will need to Cover up those Tanks, and probably around your growbeds to Prevent an Algae Bloom turning your water too pea soup.

Will be good to watch the progress of the system, and yep some Nice Light Feeding for now!! :thumbright: Supplimenting plants with Seasol is good, although it stains the water and you cant see the fishes :upset:

Also Some Chelated Iron into the system would be a good idea, i add 1tsp a week to mine have done for about 5-6 weeks now it cleared up the yellowing and helped with flowering. you can grab this from the Nursery.


your PH will probably hover High until the Nitrofication kicks in... mine took a long time to come down as i used Blue metal and my starting water was 8.5 start with.

Paitents is the only key to PH :) i tried Vinegar, lemons etc but it would always bounce back up and the plants seemed to suffer more from all the up & downs...
what size are your silvers?? i just put some 65mm ones in

_________________
Cheers!

Jamey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 17:22 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mar 24th, '10, 13:00
Posts: 5086
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Daughters think not
Location: Horsham, Victoria, Australia
Very nicely done :headbang:
I would be putting some bracing on those growbed stands though, just to be sure. :wave1:

_________________
IBC system
Bigger system
Greenhouse system


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 17:23 
Offline
Legend Member
Legend Member
User avatar

Joined: May 28th, '10, 12:04
Posts: 712
Location: Preston, Vic
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Yes
Location: Preston Vic, Australia
The Ammonia needs to spike for the Bacteria to start working properly, unfortunately.
Once you see it starting to head up best to stop feeding all together till you see it fall and it will just like that, high one day down the next. Once that happens you have a cycled system and the bacteria will be working.

As for the PH it will sort it's self out once your system is cycling properly with a full bacteria load.

I'm still fighting a high Ph but it's starting to fall slowly. I have tried all sorts of things to get it to stay down, but have come to the conclusion nature will sort it out eventually.

Patience is something you need a lot with AP! :whistle:

:flower:

_________________
Brett C

Experience is something you get just after you needed it!

Backyard Affnan Style Siphon: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7949

http://www.allthingsaquaponics.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 17:25 
Offline
In need of a life
In need of a life
User avatar

Joined: May 28th, '10, 15:40
Posts: 1508
Location: Strathfieldsaye Bendigo, VIC
Gender: Male
Blog: View Blog (1)
Are you human?: salmonid
Location: Bendigo - Central VIC
mantis wrote:
Very nicely done :headbang:
I would be putting some bracing on those growbed stands though, just to be sure. :wave1:


Good idea Richo!!

Oh the memories of my first stand nearly collapsing on me and killing me :D

if it wasnt for my Water tank catching it she would have went!!! Not much fun Emptying all the growbeds gravel, plants etc, then spending 3 hours to fix the stand and refill everything.

_________________
Cheers!

Jamey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 17:27 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mar 24th, '10, 13:00
Posts: 5086
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Daughters think not
Location: Horsham, Victoria, Australia
Just noticed you have a jack russell that looks just like our Jack (I know) and we have a burmese cat named Indie :funny1:

_________________
IBC system
Bigger system
Greenhouse system


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 17:57 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mar 12th, '06, 07:56
Posts: 17771
Images: 4
Location: Perth
Gender: Male
Blog: View Blog (1)
Nice neat work Spunyata... :thumbright: How did you install the interlinking pipe between the two IBCs, is it just siliconed into the tanks?

_________________
www.havehomewilltravel.com
Life on the road


Top
 Profile Personal album  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 18:03 
Offline
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Nov 9th, '10, 16:38
Posts: 79
Location: Thornlie, Perth
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Yes
Location: Australia, Perth
mantis wrote:
Just noticed you have a jack russell that looks just like our Jack (I know) and we have a burmese cat named Indie :funny1:

Yes one little Jack Russell who think he is a cat, and a Beagle that thinks it's human!

m3tal wrote:
mantis wrote:
Very nicely done :headbang:
I would be putting some bracing on those growbed stands though, just to be sure. :wave1:


Good idea Richo!!

Oh the memories of my first stand nearly collapsing on me and killing me :D

if it wasnt for my Water tank catching it she would have went!!! Not much fun Emptying all the growbeds gravel, plants etc, then spending 3 hours to fix the stand and refill everything.


Yeah the crack has opened up the last couple of days, think it definately needs a brace!

Decal wrote:
The Ammonia needs to spike for the Bacteria to start working properly, unfortunately.
Once you see it starting to head up best to stop feeding all together till you see it fall and it will just like that, high one day down the next. Once that happens you have a cycled system and the bacteria will be working.

As for the PH it will sort it's self out once your system is cycling properly with a full bacteria load.

I'm still fighting a high Ph but it's starting to fall slowly. I have tried all sorts of things to get it to stay down, but have come to the conclusion nature will sort it out eventually.

Patience is something you need a lot with AP! :whistle:

:flower:


If only patience grew on a tree! Cheers for the advice!

m3tal wrote:
Welcome!! :wave:

Looking Great!!! Nice system there you have!!! Good to see yet another backyard on the path to Self Sufficiency!

you will need to Cover up those Tanks, and probably around your growbeds to Prevent an Algae Bloom turning your water too pea soup.

Will be good to watch the progress of the system, and yep some Nice Light Feeding for now!! :thumbright: Supplimenting plants with Seasol is good, although it stains the water and you cant see the fishes :upset:

Also Some Chelated Iron into the system would be a good idea, i add 1tsp a week to mine have done for about 5-6 weeks now it cleared up the yellowing and helped with flowering. you can grab this from the Nursery.


your PH will probably hover High until the Nitrofication kicks in... mine took a long time to come down as i used Blue metal and my starting water was 8.5 start with.

Paitents is the only key to PH :) i tried Vinegar, lemons etc but it would always bounce back up and the plants seemed to suffer more from all the up & downs...
what size are your silvers?? i just put some 65mm ones in


Half the silvers are about 60 mm, the other half are 80 mm. Thanks for the tip on the algae, pea soup is never an attractive look! The seasol I added turned it brown for a little while but cleared up after a cycled. Is the chelated iron just a regular gardening section item in a Bunnings?

_________________
Jason has - Deb the wife, Epi and Xave the dogs, Nala and Indie the cats, Tom, Dick, Harry and Beka the chooks....will it ever end?

My System
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8673


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 18:05 
Offline
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Nov 9th, '10, 16:38
Posts: 79
Location: Thornlie, Perth
Gender: Male
Are you human?: Yes
Location: Australia, Perth
earthbound wrote:
Nice neat work Spunyata... :thumbright: How did you install the interlinking pipe between the two IBCs, is it just siliconed into the tanks?


Yeah, cut a very tight hole in both tanks then siliconed it, took a couple of adjustments to ensure no dripping leaks, the lawn enjoyed the water, when I had to empty the leaky side to fix it up each time! Works a treat now though, the fish like moving from side to side to be in whichever bed the pump is in!

_________________
Jason has - Deb the wife, Epi and Xave the dogs, Nala and Indie the cats, Tom, Dick, Harry and Beka the chooks....will it ever end?

My System
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8673


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 18:05 
Offline
In need of a life
In need of a life
User avatar

Joined: May 28th, '10, 15:40
Posts: 1508
Location: Strathfieldsaye Bendigo, VIC
Gender: Male
Blog: View Blog (1)
Are you human?: salmonid
Location: Bendigo - Central VIC
spunyata wrote:
Is the chelated iron just a regular gardening section item in a Bunnings?


I'd say so in a little plastic packet with a spoon in it

_________________
Cheers!

Jamey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 5th, '10, 19:08 
Offline
A posting God
A posting God
User avatar

Joined: Sep 28th, '06, 13:17
Posts: 2916
Location: Northam
Gender: Male
Are you human?: could be I guess
Location: Republic of Gnash
Very Tidy Spunyata.......you may even be able to stick that spindley looking pot :roll: plant in there

_________________
Unattended children will be given an Espresso and a free puppy ;)


http://www.backyardfarming.com.au/phpbb ... f=24&t=270

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Dec 6th, '10, 06:56 
Offline
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend
User avatar

Joined: Jan 15th, '09, 14:02
Posts: 349
Images: 20
Location: 65km north of Perth
Gender: Male
Are you human?: if yes goto line 25
Location: Muchea WA
hmm you spoted that to hey Gnash :D

_________________
Link to my system

My Website


Top
 Profile Personal album  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC + 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Asitis and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Portal by phpBB3 Portal © phpBB Türkiye
[ Time : 0.106s | 19 Queries | GZIP : Off ]