All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: First Setup, Need Input.
PostPosted: Mar 13th, '11, 14:37 

Are you human?: YES
My system is very open ended as of now. I am still in the planning stages and would appreciate some experts/addicts advice.

Lets see my first questions for the great forum here are how easy or hard would minnesota tempuratures be? Green house?
Is it easier to start with a big setup or a small one?
Would a 105gph pump do 100gal ft? or 50 gal? (Solar powered pump Below)
http://www.solarpanelinfo.com/store/item-B001PLOVK8/
Will a sump pump work as a larger pump 5000GPH at no hieght, like 3250 at 2 feet any good?
Any drawback known for using local fish? bass? would you want more active cuz theyll shit more over durability for fish?
Would Raw Apple cider vinegar or Rejuvelac be beneficial for starting initial bacterial growth in the aquaponic system? Also like Kelp or spirulina?
Oh yeah so artificial lighting, do you mostly use metal halides? do u use artifical lighting outdoors?

I have the space for small one indoors and outdoors of course but it is minnesota (southern).. I am still learning everything about aquaponics I can, ive been at it for a few weeks pretty strongly. It's been years since i learned about the existence and i recently got the aquaponics made easy dvd. I dont have the money to invest in a ten thousand dollar awesome system of course so are you best ideas like recycled 50 gal barrel or those metal caged liquid containers? I was thinking of making a raised earth foundation then lining that with plastic and maybe pvc plumbing through the dirt, soil or cement. I was thinking I might as well incorporate rammed earth if i can... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ena5nzIf2I
And what do board owned commercial systems sell mostly, lettuce? How are the cantelope?

thanks for any answers you can get me! I will have more :D

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 14th, '11, 08:31 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Ok

I'm not an expert... if you look at my posts, more failures so far than success... let's face it we only need 1 success !!! I can tell you what will not work ! :D

Solar power would be great but it doesn't work overnight, most fish will start dying from lack of oxygen after a few hours, gill damage etc.

Green house in snow conditions would be a definite Yes.

If $ are the issue, do a search for Barrelponics (Travis Hughey) he's got a good doc explaining how to do it all with barrels

Can't comment too much on your fish, better you get local info. Saying that, most in the US seem to use Tilapia, avoid fish that need you to heat your tank, it'll fail eventually and fish will die, so choose species suited to your water temp. Find a fish that will tolerate mistakes, they need to be hardy to compensate for our lack of knowledge. I've gone with Perch in Oz, so far pretty bullet proof, my systems starting to come good.

Good luck and welcome !

PostPosted: Mar 15th, '11, 03:02 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: yes
starting with a "smaller" system seems like a pretty good way to go, base your first system (you will expand, resistance is futile :D )
from what i read, bass have a pretty high conversion, something like 10lbs of feed for every lb gained? it was really high..
yellow perch would be an option, but they're a "cool water" species and won't tolerate water in the upper 80's in the summer
bluegill are hardy and tolerate wider temps..
catfish would probably do well, slower growth though
i think you could get 1 season of tilapia in without having to add heat

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '11, 00:19 

So i got a 150 gal animal feed tank and four 21 gal rubbermaid boxes, a 1200GPH pump pvc etc.

My questions I am very puzzled on are.
What is the best size for the pvc atuo siphon? inner pvc, outter pvc, and air hose.
I did build two one i tested and worked well but seemed a bit unreliable.. I also built a 3/4" inner with a 4.5" outter but havent tested that yet..
Will I need multiple auto siphons even though i am connecting the tubs? I tested one siphone with three tubs and the farthest tub had two or three more inches of water :( but i did get to flood my backyard :D
In the video it says a 1:1 ratio for grow bed to fish tank is best but i initially read online a 2:1 is best 2xthe grow bed that is.. which is it? doese it mainly matter the amount of fish you can squeeze in the tank?
I would appreciate any quick replies, Thanks!

Ill post pics soon

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '11, 01:43 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: de
With your climate you deffinitely need some serious things to deffend weather, or you need an indoor system.

Read these:

Geodesic Dome
Rob's (Web4Deb's) Geodesic Dome Greenhouse - aprox same climate
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8898

Passive solar greenhouses:
Aquaponics Hungary
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9056

Passive solar GH under construction
Hello from the Ozarks
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=7808&start=15

Greenhouse on south side of the garage
JT's GH AP System Thread - slightly warmer climate but the GH should do if you use policarbonate instead of foil, and get some thermal mass, or heating.
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5259

Temperate Climate Aquaponic Discussions
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5063

PostPosted: Mar 28th, '11, 02:50 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Take me 2 ur leader
Welcome, Jahsun! :wave:

I'm in Minneapolis, and am starting up a commercial AP system.

If you're interested, there's a Twin Cities (but actually all of Minnesota) aquaponics e-mail list:

Twin Cities Aquaponics

Do you know about Growing Power, Sweetwater Organics, and A Future Farm?

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Mar 28th, '11, 09:18 

Thanks awesome posts, Ill be building a greenhouse, possibly using a water heater are my two ideas for the climate so far I will check out your links and get back to you in the following days.

MUchas GRACIAS!

PostPosted: Mar 30th, '11, 02:07 

So it will be in a greenhouse unbuilt yet and on the south wall of a house.

I did read and see videos about the aquaponics in milwakee, it is was kind of inspired me ot try it here.

I am already contemplating my next setup and havent built this one yet O_O

Anyways in a fwe days ill get some pics up of what i got so far.. I bought hydroton clay pellets today!.. i think ill need more but I bought the store out :think:

On my next system the earth will be more moldable and space not an issue... same frigid cold 6-8 months though.

Heres my website ill be making a page about this on soon. www.herbalhealtheducation.com
I am a Master Herbalist, I have a unorigional approach to health for most people. Basicly using the understanding that the body knows what is best and will do what is needed given the proper nutrtion, assimilatable and as wholseome as avaialable. I am mostly educated in NA native plants, and use plant based food and herbs as the single source for the humans nutrtional needs. If your interested read my websites education page and cantact me whenever you want.

PostPosted: Apr 6th, '11, 02:18 

This is the whole setup I've got so far..

What am i missing? Any comments appreciated!

PostPosted: Apr 6th, '11, 02:28 

I am going to build legs and raise it a bit above the fishtank, should i build a filter box of some kind?

If you see any errors in anything I'd love to hear your replies! Wifi ftw. I might become a felon in NC today O_O cuz im an Herbalist.. crazy..

PostPosted: Apr 6th, '11, 05:59 

Might help for you to describe what you're trying to do. It looks like you want all the totes together to act as one unit with a single siphon? It looks good, I suppose the nutrients could be used before the water makes it to the last bin but I think thats pretty unlikely.

PostPosted: Apr 6th, '11, 06:15 
Indeed...as the grow beds are constantly being refreshed with additional nutrient rich water... there's no measurable decrease in nutrient levels with distance...

PostPosted: Apr 6th, '11, 07:41 

I am planning on having two siphons on each end and running the pump on a timer..here?

PostPosted: Apr 6th, '11, 13:21 

I'll be interested to see if one siphon always kicks in before the other that's what I would expect but I've not tried this with interconnected beds yet. I saw that JT's interconnected outdoor system uses two siphons so I'll bet he knows.

PostPosted: Apr 7th, '11, 03:02 

Just figured id get more plants via more root space with the two less siphons. If you think i should do four siphons let me know ill be testing it out soon though! Spring time is here sky is clear!