All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sep 23rd, '16, 18:24 

Are you human?: Yes
Hi all,

I am new to AP and I am planning to set up my own small commercial system. I know that this isn’t the best idea with no previous experience so I am going to set up a smaller system first and also volunteer on a few farms.
I am planning to do this in a small oasis town in the deserts of the Baja, Mexico, where I have some connections. I have a vague plan of the size and shape of my system but I struggle to understand the correct ratio, stocking densities, etc.

The system that I am planning is a combination of Grow Beds and Deep Water Culture.
I am doing this in a hot climate so I will have to put the FT in the ground for insulation. I would then pump the water from the FT to the Grow beds (I know this isn’t ideal because of the solid fish waste breaking up but I can’t think of another option, can you?) which would flood then drain into the DWC channels, I would use the DWC channels as my sump tank.

My idea would be to grow lettuce in the cooler months in the DWC and possibly herbs or duckweed in the summer. I was thinking about having roughly 30m2 of growing area on the DWC (2 channel each: 15m long x 1m wide x 30-40cm deep), I am estimating that the Styrofoam board will be 1m2 (I know this is unlikely, and is just an estimation and that I should make the DWC as wide as they ship the styrofoam). If I had it this way I would be able to harvest and plant 1 board each day with 20-25 lettuces.

My question is how much fish (Tilapia) I will need for a system this size. What should be my ratio of DWC to Growbeds be or how much Biological Surface area (growbeds) will I need to be able to convert the ammonia? I know that it depends on what media I am using but I have an idea to use a variety of grow media (pebbles, gravel, scoria, hydroton etc) and mixtures to experiment with and see what gives the best results. My last question is if I put fresh water prawns or shrimp underneath the rafts, how many could I have before they require additional feed?

Any thoughts are most welcome. Thanks for taking the time .

Cheer,

Joe

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 24th, '16, 02:03 

Are you human?: YES
Bump. I'm not certain you're going to get an answer to this but let's kick it back to the top of the cue for another go round.

PostPosted: Sep 24th, '16, 05:44 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Hey Joe, download everything here and read it all, especially the more commercial based documents.. http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/infor ... downloads/

I know that doesn't answer any of your questions but unfortunately as always with aquaponics the answer to most of your questions is the same... It depends! So many variables in aquaponics that there are rarely hard and fast correct answers.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Sep 25th, '16, 10:33 

Are you human?: Yes
Thanks anyway guys, I thought my post might have been a bit vague. I am downloading the documents and I'm loving 'aquaponics common sense'